Any one with a stock market idea ? Explain

Sehwag1830

rg.. its never a good idea to publish ur portfolio in public .. when things go wrong , people will come back and irritate you worse is people like me who will come there only to mock ( use todo it in ISM :P )
Good advice bro. I don't share because I am over joyed or I am silly but because I want people to know abt some of these stocks n know that one can make big bets not just a very small fraction of their money. Fully expect people to mock but more than anything ill lose money ( or might sell it w/o posting here or hedge it with shorts etc) n i will look like an idiot to people reading the thread. That's the risk I take. I wish for people to get involved in stock markets.

just kidding. have u heard abt ISM orkut community ?? its closed anyway its more fun to share and check how others are doing ( esp trading calls ) :P traders can learn a lot by sharing it wth others more than investors
I know:cantstop: Not heard of that one. I never knew the fact that so many companies have grow several hundred times in last decade . infy for example has grown 2900 times in 20 yrs. If smone invested 1lac in 1994, he would have 29 crore today. Didn't know abt splits....for ex. Icici went up to 1700, recently split 1:5 n was at 340 then....SBI split 1:10 from 3000 to 300....these things kept me out of market..

Since Nifty has hit an all-time high of 8800, and it's clear that we are in a terrific bull market (we still have more to come with rate cuts, a ratings upgrade and a market-friendly budget - as most people are expecting). Anyone who is putting in money now should realize that you have to hold on, despite the temptations. Someone like me who learnt all his trading and investing in a bear market, the temptation has always been to book profits in a non-bluechip stock, despite the promising story it might have. It is simply because when you would buy a stock for 100, it will rise to 115, hang around there for sometime and gradually slide to 85 for so long, that you would curse yourself for not booking profits when you could have. But things are evidently different now. These are a bunch of stocks that I used to hold and eventually sold off, and then they shot up and reached the stars as I kept watching them. All these happened in the last 2 years. a) Aurobindo Pharma - at 1176 currently - (sold it at 188) b) NBCC -at 820 currently (sold it at 225) c) Gati - at 275 currently (sold it at 95) *d) Axis Bank - at 2830 (pre-split equivalent) (sold it at 1000) *e) Mindtree - at (2624) (pre-split equivalent) (sold it at 1250) f) Ashok Leyland - at 64 (sold it at 20) Axis Bank and Mindtree got split at 1:5 and 1:2 respectively. There have been other stocks that I have tracked and seen grow, but these 6 are stocks I owned and threw away. Had I held on, the returns could have been staggering. So once you are sure about your portfolio, just don't throw away value stocks for booking 5-10% profits. They can easily double or triple in 1-2 years if you have read it correctly. And as they say, 2 good stocks can change your life.

^Good advice. Its very tough to go ahead and buy a stock at a higher price that you have sold once earlier. I sold Aurobindo at ~820/- , Ajanta at 1650/- , repco at 460/-, Amara raja at 625/- and canfin at 455/- even after being fairly convinced with the stock stories. I could only buy CanFin at higher price of 495/- again. 1. One should look at RoEs and relative valuations of cos. - For ex. Yes Bank , IndusInd bank, HDFC bank and Kotak bank All these are high RoE Banks but yes bank was available at 50-100% discount to the other 3 (admittedly its CASA is slightly low). So i bought heavily. Likewise, DHFL was available (n still is available) at discount to other housing fin. cos. 2. One should try to gauge the value of the business (MOATS, potential business/earning for the co.) for smaller cos. not just p/e and p/b. This is why I am holding a co. discussed here at high p/e. 3. sometimes there are heavy negative cues for a particular day (say all markets globally have fallen). I sell large holdings at 9:15am and then buy again say at 3:29pm. Only intraday brokerage will be charged and you save money (like the day recently when sensex fell ~850 points) 4. sector tailwinds. 5. Buy Large quantities if you have conviction (both abt the macros n the company). small quantities will give small profits only 6. MOATS. (An oligopoly like an oriental carbon) 7. buy small cos. pref. when they have fallen 20-30% from peak n bigger cos. when they have fallen 10-15% atleast

I started this stock market stuff in 1999 or so when I was in US...dot com boom...everybody around me was doing and I got in too...made (paper) money 10K ( I always used to convert to rupees and it was huge for me ) and lost everything that I made literally Came back to India and did nothing in stock market till 2004 I think when TCS went for its IPO. It was then that I opened demat account and I had some TCS employee friends ( college mates) . They had some quota,etc and we made some deals - I will give them money, they will apply in employee quota, stuff like that...made profit of 5 lakh INR. It was then that I got into stock market seriously. Made blunders and lost money in stocks like DLF,GMR,GVK However..one of my attributes ( being lazy ) helped me a lot...I invested in Yes Bank when it went from 360 odd to 40 ( average price for me is 62) and now it is 840 or so - 12 bagger. Anyway, this is not the place for all stock market stuff but my only learning/advise is when you bet, bet big. No point in putting your 1000 USD and expect to to become 10 times ( profit 9K). Better to put 100K and expect 30% ( profit 30K). You will make more money and more realistically.

^Good advice. Its very tough to go ahead and buy a stock at a higher price that you have sold once earlier. I sold Aurobindo at ~820/- , Ajanta at 1650/- , repco at 460/-, Amara raja at 625/- and canfin at 455/- even after being fairly convinced with the stock stories. I could only buy CanFin at higher price of 495/- again. 1. One should look at RoEs and relative valuations of cos. - For ex. Yes Bank , IndusInd bank, HDFC bank and Kotak bank All these are high RoE Banks but yes bank was available at 50-100% discount to the other 3 (admittedly its CASA is slightly low). So i bought heavily. Likewise, DHFL was available (n still is available) at discount to other housing fin. cos. 2. One should try to gauge the value of the business (MOATS, potential business/earning for the co.) for smaller cos. not just p/e and p/b. This is why I am holding a co. discussed here at high p/e. 3. sometimes there are heavy negative cues for a particular day (say all markets globally have fallen). I sell large holdings at 9:15am and then buy again say at 3:29pm. Only intraday brokerage will be charged and you save money (like the day recently when sensex fell ~850 points) 4. sector tailwinds. 5. Buy Large quantities if you have conviction (both abt the macros n the company). small quantities will give small profits only 6. MOATS. (An oligopoly like an oriental carbon) 7. buy small cos. pref. when they have fallen 20-30% from peak n bigger cos. when they have fallen 10-15% atleast
a) Now, when I am convinced about a fall, I only sell the stock's futures and not the stock by itself. It hedges my position and pays a lot more. Of course, it has to be in F & O. b) I have often bought back a stock at a higher price even when I had sold it off earlier. I do with TCS, Tech Mahindra and SBI all the time. It's the smaller stocks that escapes my attention. c) My other play is I am often a contrarian player. That works at times, and makes u feel like a fool a lot of times as well. But contrarian play often gives u great value unexpectedly - which can be much more than a regular deal. And you get the stocks for cheap surely. I bought all the PSU banks for example when everyone was running away from them. But it has its pitfalls as well. d) I also sold Yes Bank at 400. Now it's 800+.

You must be 1)A BM fan/member and 2) Read SB's lectures ( in fundooprofessor) and 3) Also member of VP This is my guess. It is upto you how much you confess. There are ups and downs in all the above but its your money....your wish :two_thumbs_up:

I started this stock market stuff in 1999 or so when I was in US...dot com boom...everybody around me was doing and I got in too...made (paper) money 10K ( I always used to convert to rupees and it was huge for me ) and lost everything that I made literally Came back to India and did nothing in stock market till 2004 I think when TCS went for its IPO. It was then that I opened demat account and I had some TCS employee friends ( college mates) . They had some quota,etc and we made some deals - I will give them money, they will apply in employee quota, stuff like that...made profit of 5 lakh INR. It was then that I got into stock market seriously. Made blunders and lost money in stocks like DLF,GMR,GVK However..one of my attributes ( being lazy ) helped me a lot...I invested in Yes Bank when it went from 360 odd to 40 ( average price for me is 62) and now it is 840 or so - 12 bagger. Anyway, this is not the place for all stock market stuff but my only learning/advise is when you bet, bet big. No point in putting your 1000 USD and expect to to become 10 times ( profit 9K). Better to put 100K and expect 30% ( profit 30K). You will make more money and more realistically.
The 'bet big' philosophy can ruin you too. I always accumulate, and that is how I have always got stuff for cheap. I have seen people getting drowned while betting big; and I always avoid it. I have seen people lose their yearly earning by one wrong 'big bet' move.

^kalia, good that you reiterated abt big bets, I have learnt for my experience of 6-7 months only and from seasoned guys like mohnish pabrai. I am fully invested and so have made 6-7 lac gains in portfolio in last 30 days. Leverage is bad overall but somedays i am 10-20% leveraged too. btw sanjay bakshi bought poddar dev. at 11XX , any views on that? edit: i am reader of only 1 of the 3 sources you mentioned.

The 'bet big' philosophy can ruin you too. I always accumulate' date=' and that is how I have always got stuff for cheap. I have seen people getting drowned while betting big; and I always avoid it. I have seen people lose their yearly earning by one wrong 'big bet' move.[/quote'] Big bets are abt very high convictions and will require very close tracking (both the technicals, stock news , macros - FIIs buy/sell data etc)

i got the luxury of playing in others money.. :aha: better invest or do SIP and never indulge in trade .. i had access to day to day activities of retail traders and 99% of the retail were in loss in the end.. in bull market all the guys tend to go long for short term and make money and then they conclude that they decide where the market goes.. later they ll get into futures or bet big and will get hurt real bad ..

The 'bet big' philosophy can ruin you too. I always accumulate' date=' and that is how I have always got stuff for cheap. I have seen people getting drowned while betting big; and I always avoid it. I have seen people lose their yearly earning by one wrong 'big bet' move.[/quote'] Thanks a lot for this. I completely agree with you on the spirit of your post. What I meant by betting big is in a different context altogether. Take companies like HDFC Bank/ITC/Sun Pharma/HUL/TCS - they are HUGE and proven. You are better off investing in them with your 1 crore and expect say 20 - 25 % return - meaning 20-25 lakhs profit. My point was more about people who invest their 3 lakh in companies like GMR expecting it to become 15 lakh...many of these people CAN invest 50 lakh to 1 crore but they won't...and that was the only point I was making

a) Now, when I am convinced about a fall, I only sell the stock's futures and not the stock by itself. It hedges my position and pays a lot more. Of course, it has to be in F & O.
Good. I always think abt that but end up shorting intraday in cash markets on weak day and buying intraday in cash markets on a strong day. Maybe because Futures price and spot price has a gap.
b) I have often bought back a stock at a higher price even when I had sold it off earlier. I do with TCS, Tech Mahindra and SBI all the time. It's the smaller stocks that escapes my attention.
Less known cos. are harder to buy when you've sold at lower price.
c) My other play is I am often a contrarian player. That works at times, and makes u feel like a fool a lot of times as well. But contrarian play often gives u great value unexpectedly - which can be much more than a regular deal. And you get the stocks for cheap surely. I bought all the PSU banks for example when everyone was running away from them. But it has its pitfalls as well.
Good. Pharma cos. which fall due to FDA are often good contra(but long term) bets too.

Thanks a lot for this. I completely agree with you on the spirit of your post. What I meant by betting big is in a different context altogether. Take companies like HDFC Bank/ITC/Sun Pharma/HUL/TCS - they are HUGE and proven. You are better off investing in them with your 1 crore and expect say 20 - 25 % return - meaning 20-25 lakhs profit. My point was more about people who invest their 3 lakh in companies like GMR expecting it to become 15 lakh...many of these people CAN invest 50 lakh to 1 crore but they won't...and that was the only point I was making
Yeah that is right. You can bet big on blue chips, that will anyway give u more profits than GMR Infra type companies. I have had ITC, HDFC and TCS for a long time - and will continue to hold. Never had faith in HUL, and now pretty surprised to see the rise.

^kalia, good that you reiterated abt big bets, I have learnt for my experience of 6-7 months only and from seasoned guys like mohnish pabrai. I am fully invested and so have made 6-7 lac gains in portfolio in last 30 days. Leverage is bad overall but somedays i am 10-20% leveraged too. btw sanjay bakshi bought poddar dev. at 11XX , any views on that? edit: i am reader of only 1 of the 3 sources you mentioned.
One thing is you have not seen a crash yet. A 1000-point type of crash can take u a few years behind. As they say, it takes you about 5 years to learn the markets.

Abt oriental carbon The Q2 results are out....numbers looks good, pat up 75% yoy...further good growth is seen in this counter as crude is falling which will benefit in the profit margin and tyre companies are giving good sales part which indirectly benefitted this company...an interim dividend of Rs. 3..I am bullish on this stock and will try to add more...it's still looks quite cheap in comparison to the market..and a very low volume stock ..sellers are not many in this stock...it is nt yet fancy stock but once it get attracted by the market I think it will give even higher returns...
Market down , Occl up 20% locked in upper circuit, q3 result on 4th feb

i got the luxury of playing in others money.. :aha: better invest or do SIP and never indulge in trade .. i had access to day to day activities of retail traders and 99% of the retail were in loss in the end.. in bull market all the guys tend to go long for short term and make money and then they conclude that they decide where the market goes.. later they ll get into futures or bet big and will get hurt real bad ..
Thats actually true . I do options / Futures / speculate just for fun & occasionally . The problem is when you want to multiply your money overnight