Follow on or Bat?

living

this series win set captain dravid apart from rest other teams....he will be a league of his own.. first indian captain to win a test match in pakistan.. first indian captain to win a test match in SA. a series win over WI in WI after decades.. an ODI series win over SA in away matches.. a Test series win over ENG in ENG...which will be happening for only the third time in the entire history of indian cricket... Hail The captain..the versatile ...The Leader...The Rahul Dravid..:regular_smile:

India should enforce follow on, but i am sure they will choose to bat instead. Why ? To kill any meagre chance England may have of winning the match. Yeah, England winning - sounds real far-fetched doesn't it ? It's conceivable though. England are more than capable of scoring 450-500 at 4 RPO in their second dig. They will be more circumspect and the likes of Pietersen and Vaughan can score massive hundreds once they get set - everyone knows that. Will Dravid risk it ? I doubt it. Personally, i reckon India can roll them over for under 300 if they enforce the follow-on, but my guess is that Dravid will want to eliminate even a 0.00001% chance of an English victory before going in for the win. I hope he proves me wrong

Even if England is allowed to follow on there is no way England can force a victory. Firstly they cannot take too many chances simply because they will end up loosing the test match. Also batting on the 4th day pitch will not be as easy and runs will not come fluently. With a deficit of nearly 350 runs England will need 4 sessions to even knock off the deficit even if they bat out of their skin. There will remain 2 more session and no way England can bat one session on the last day and notch up over 300 runs to let India chase it. Simply put England have no chance whatsoever whether they are allowed to follow on or not. There simply is not enough time in the test match left for England to force a draw. This is where Tendulkar's time killing batting in the first inning has come to use for India.

no way no way.. don't freakin give them any bloody chance to escape this and make it a draw.. lets just enforce follow on.. thatz it.. bloody they trail by about 300 something.. its not a joke.. lets just finish it off.. if england players manage to score 450 also then also we can't loose.... they will take lot of time to cover first the trail and then put some score to defend.. .. and by that time the series would have been decided.. lets just enforce the Bloody follow on..

Everybody who wants to enforce the follow on are letting their emotions get the better of them. See the cricketing logic guys. If we bat again , that is GUARENTEED series win for us, irrespective of how we bat or how they bowl in our 2nd innings. Their second innings will almost become academic then.

C'tics , If we ask England to bat again , the following things will/could happen 1) We are essentially , in part, transferring control of to England again by putting the onus on them. Agreed they would collapse anyway , but what if someone comes up with a outstanding innings ( like say a quick fire 190 from Pietersen) and England score 475 in 140 overs ? If you think this will not happen, let me remind you some words - Kolkata 2001 2) If that happens and India are left to chase 150 in their 4th innings in 50 overs , the pressure will be on our batting to play out to either win the match or save it , to secure the series. We might buckle under the pressure. If you think this wont happen too , again , think again. Australia was bowled out by england for an under 150 score chasing a low score in the last test of ashes 1999, on a good pitch. 3) Conversely , if we bat again , score 200 in just about two sessions , set england a target of 550 in 120 overs , that is essentially it. England needs to attack from the beginning to stay in the race , and that would give us ample chance to bowl them out. I think we dont need more than 100 overs to get the english in their last innings.

C'tics , If we ask England to bat again , the following things will/could happen 1) We are essentially , in part, transferring control of to England again by putting the onus on them. Agreed they would collapse anyway , but what if someone comes up with a outstanding innings ( like say a quick fire 190 from Pietersen) and England score 475 in 140 overs ? If you think this will not happen, let me remind you some words - Kolkata 2001 .
see mate again this can be asked the other way around.. suppose we bat and score about 150 odd runz in about 30 overs.. and with a lead of about 400 hundred.. or something in hand.. we dec and give target to england.. they can still chase it.. if kpz miricle 150 can come on day 4, 3rd innigns, then it surely can come on day 5 too in 4th innings.. what u and me are discussing is juzt "if-but" talk.... so what u thinking might make sense, then again i would say its all if and but, hence my wayz = enforce the bloody follow on.. and celebrate independence day in england..
C'tics , If we ask England to bat again , the following things will/could happen 1) We are essentially , in part, transferring control of to England again by putting the onus on them. Agreed they would collapse anyway , but what if someone comes up with a outstanding innings ( like say a quick fire 190 from Pietersen) and England score 475 in 140 overs ? If you think this will not happen, let me remind you some words - Kolkata 2001 2) If that happens and India are left to chase 150 in their 4th innings in 50 overs , the pressure will be on our batting to play out to either win the match or save it , to secure the series. We might buckle under the pressure. If you think this wont happen too , again , think again. Australia was bowled out by england for an under 150 score chasing a low score in the last test of ashes 1999, on a good pitch. 3) Conversely , if we bat again , score 200 in just about two sessions , set england a target of 550 in 120 overs , that is essentially it. England needs to attack from the beginning to stay in the race , and that would give us ample chance to bowl them out. I think we dont need more than 100 overs to get the english in their last innings.
Oh no, that is so defensive, and I'm afraid draivis is going ot think exactly like you and not make em followon..:confused_smile:
If you have got some words 'kolkatta 2001' then I got some for you too 'Antigua 2003 (WI vs AUS)'. I don't think either of them will happen. I completely disagree with you. India must enforce follow-on. I don't want dravid to do the same mistake that Ganguly did in sydney test match. We would have won that match had our bowlers got some more time(ofcourse there was 'bucknor' factor as well). Don't give the example of kolkatta 2001, which in my opinion, will never happen again. Moreover, in that test match, at the end of day 3 , we have already cleared the deficit and leading in our second innings and here England didn't even start their second innings. Possiblity of repeating kolkatta 2001 is 0.000000000000000000000000001 % whereas batting 4 sessions to save the test match for Eng (in case if we bat again and set them a target of 450 or 500) is quite acheivable, especially considering our inablity to dismiss the opposition in final day of a test match in recent times is well documented. Dravid should be reminded of his own decision to enforce the follow-on at Multan 2004. :dance:

You all seem to forget one BASIC fact - We dont have to win this match. All we have to do is draw this one. And everybody seem to think batting again means we will draw it. We will still win if wehave 100 overs to bowl out the english.

mm, there's also the big picture to look at. *India would go to equal second on the ICC table with a win. A 1-0 series win still leaves a 4 point difference to India in third place. With anything over a 300 lead, the follow on should definitely be enforced. That way, you have 2 chances to win. 1. England lose by an innings, or 2. They score 400 and you have a small target. If India bats again, that's 1 chance to win. You have to bowl them out in much less time, plus ....... that gives them a sniff of victory. England would certainly be happy if India batted again as its second place on the Test table would be a lot safer. *Edit: I quoted Nasser Hussain from the TV coverage for those figures. I just checked the ICC site and it indicates he might not have been correct. Have a look: http://www.icc-cricket.com/test/

We dont have to win this match. All we have to do is draw this one.
stop it rite there mm.. 2 days remaining..eng trail by about 300.. how can u even think of draw.. no we don't want this game to end in a draw.. we aren't playing for draw here.. we are playing here for series victory, and that too by 2-0, and not 1-0..