ICF All Time Test XI : Openers

ICF All Time Test XI : Openers  

1. 1.

But if by any chance you are even half serious here is the approach I follow : I read about cricketers and their exploits from the usual sources ... I just simply never take everything at face value untill I do some simple scrutiny. Take that article I posted above for example. You can easily make out that the bowling was nothing to crow about by just looking at the names. I looked at the photograph featuring the news paper article covering that match and how they are in awe of Bradman. Now why is there a disconnect between my take and what the news report says about Bradman and the "World Record" ? Its because I have the benefit of hindsight. I know what a strike bowler is and what pace the game is supposed to be played because I have seen the likes of Marshall, Amby to Steyn operate. They didn't have that luxury. So if you keep bowling at that rate you will only tire quickly and get clobbered. This is what happened and there is nothing great about scoring 721 runs in a day against such bowling and circumstances. And ofcourse I went and saw some footage of the "strike" bowler. Now this is not to be construed as being disrespectful. It is just how the game was played back then and I'am prepared to tell the story as is. I have the deepest regards to the heroes of that time for their contributions to the game and keeping the game alive in tough times. But this does not mean that I pretend that they played the game at the same standards as is played today. That is just simply not true.
Good post. If Brad Hogg had played 40 years ago, he would have been regarded as one of the best left arm spinner cricket has ever seen.
I will eventually and it will be based on some impartial evidence such as a video footage.
Video analysis not impartial. This is what we have been discussing. We are not discussing whether old accounds are right or wrong. YOU have to provide evidence that vintage video clips are REPRESENTATIVE of the actual action as todays. Up to now' date= you've filed to do so, and I assume that anyone will fail there. The next best is to film todays players under similar conditions and technology and compare them to old footage. Whether it will look same, better or worse is anyones guess. No one knows how current players will look when filmed such. Hence I keep an open verdict on judging players by sub standard video clips as well as not having seen the actual action to compare. But it seems like you are already sold on the idea that it represents actual action as todays
I'am not the type that will drool over written accounts that are notoriously embellished.
Meh! the same drivel.
If you want that type of discussion there are plenty of other posters here that swear by such written accounts of "Experts". And I don't want to get into a futile discussion where you will keep hurling imaginary excuses to discredit the videos.
Another Meh.
So here is another chance to let us know the EXACT technical reasons why bowlers from older eras appear like trundlers
So they APPEAR like trundlers. What is your proof, that they are actually TRUNDLERS? Looking like a trundler means they are not trundlers. And as I was arguing in another thread, trundlers need not be utter ****.
So far what I gather from you is that it has to do with the equipment used. You keep waffling randomly on that topic and sitting on the fence. So lets see the list of exact technical reasons that prevent you from relying on these videos to learn about cricketers from past era's.
Exact reason: No one has seen the actual action to compare it to the action on video, and simply we don't know how correctly the action has got recorded. You can bring in INDIRECT evidence, but it is not as good as direct evidence. simply if we can find a person who has actually seen Frank Tyson bowling, and get his opinion on how Tyson's bowling is representated on film we have put a step in right direction. If we can find twenty such people, then we will have a very good idea on the clip. Without this the vintage clips are close to useless in judging players.
Here is the more relevant bit of the discussion that happened in post# 194 and post# 196. Me : No matter how technically deficient the film is ( as you are trying to make it out to be ) it is incapable of messing up the runup or the size of the man or the followup to such an extent that a Allan Donald'esque fast bowler is reduced to look like a comical bowler. You : And the bolded part, missing grames and low frame rates can exactly do that. Get Allan Donald bowling off a 10fps film (you can downgrade it easily with software - which I am not proficient with) and start commenting it. Unless you film modern players with same technology and compare footage, we cannot comment on vintage video clips with much certainty. So this is why I went and degraded the clip to a far lower frame rate of 6FPS than the 10 FPS. So whats your take on the clip now that it has been degraded to a far worse state than you wanted ? Why don't you tell us how Brett Lee looks like a trundler or accept that you were wrong ?
So where are you missing frames? Missing frames at regular intervals is downgrading the frame rate, yeah ok. But where are the "mising frames" proper in your clip? Why don't you crop a 2s chunk off the video and then see how funny it will look like? And BTW, I have given who started the discussion on frame rates, and you seems to be just ignored it.:finger:
Good post. If Brad Hogg had played 40 years ago' date=' he would have been regarded as one of the best left arm spinner cricket has ever seen.[/quote'] Is the T in your username - time travel? If not, I start suggesting you build a time machine and give us these gems. If Tendulkar would have played 100 years back, he would have died of tuberculosis at the age of 20.
Good post. If Brad Hogg had played 40 years ago' date=' he would have been regarded as one of the best left arm spinner cricket has ever seen.[/quote']If Brad Hogg played today, still would be at the top of the ranking with Ajmal and Swann. It's just he happened to play with Murali, Warne, Kumble, MacGill, Saqlain and Mushtaq
Is the T in your username - time travel? If not' date=' I start suggesting you build a time machine and give us these gems. If Tendulkar would have played 100 years back, he would have died of tuberculosis at the age of 20.[/quote'] It is not time travel or rocket science. It is my assumption like some people can assume how Bradman, Hobbs could have been the greatest cricketers in the modern time.
It is not time travel or rocket science. It is my assumption like some people can assume how Bradman' date=' Hobbs could have been the greatest cricketers in the modern time.[/quote'] Fine - My assumption is that Steyn couldn't even bowl at 120 kmph because he didn't have gym and Ian Pont then. Also, fast bowling was a relatively unknown art.