• Only 1 match
    • Less Than 1 month
    • 1-6 months
    • 6-12 months
    • 12-18 months
    • 18-24 months
    • Till next world cup
    • World Champions dont need ranking to prove themselves
    • I dont give a **** about rankings. I would rather choose Ravinder Jadeja over rankings.
    • India can't be number one in ODI's

Ah ok. I don't think Dhoni has much faith in Pathan tbh - especially his bowling. I don't think he will pick Pathan if given a choice.
but he has faith in bowling of jaddu and vinay :hysterical: anyway if he plays .. play him as 5th bowler .. make him bowl 7 overs and keep him away from bowling at death
WTF man...why are we recycling old players?? why not given chance to youngsters in this meaningless ODI series?? WTF BCCI? Aus keep producing young fast bowlers and we're still stuck on Pathan & other oldies.
which youngster? :(( dinda from a team is in ahmed did badly in odis .. did gr8 in tests awana i think is injured ,aaron injured yadav is playing...who else is there ? :P
Vinay Kumar deserves his place. But if the selectors/Dhoni wanted an all-rounder then Pathan/Jadeja/Yusuf should have been picked ahead Vinay Kumar. Which I wouldn't agree on anyway, but the fallacy of picking Irfan to replace Vinay Kumar especially after recently concluded India A tour probably indicates no-one (making these decisions) kept an eye on "next in line" bowlers.
Who should have replaced Vinay Kumar for a bowler? I think Praveen Kumar is the only name which comes to my mind.

Some people are questioning that why has Irfan replaced Vk. As if we have a Malcolm Marshal waiting in the wings that could have been given a chance. IMO Irfan was the best option available. And more over atleast he can bat and can do well if used as a support bowler instead of being a frontline bowler. His role should be to bowl economical spell after Zaheer and Yadav's opening spells. I would now think of him as batting all rounder who can bat well at number 7 position.

Some people are questioning that why has Irfan replaced Vk. As if we have a Malcolm Marshal waiting in the wings that could have been given a chance. IMO Irfan was the best option available. And more over atleast he can bat and can do well if used as a support bowler instead of being a frontline bowler. His role should be to bowl economical spell after Zaheer and Yadav's opening spells. I would now think of him as batting all rounder who can bat well at number 7 position.
A bowler replaced by a bowler or batsman or IDK what Irfan is makes sense? :eek:
A bowler replaced by a bowler or batsman or IDK what Irfan is makes sense? :eek:
He should have been in the team even in the first selection as an all rounder. He can balance this side while playing at number 7. Otherwise we could have seen Ind playing with 7 batsmen with Raina and Rohit filling the quota of a 5th bowler and someone like tiwary in the playing 11.
He should have been in the team even in the first selection as an all rounder. He can balance this side while playing at number 7. Otherwise we could have seen Ind playing with 7 batsmen with Raina and Rohit filling the quota of a 5th bowler and someone like tiwary in the playing 11.
Where was this balance you're talking about in Australia or the Asia Cup? Please note we are talking empirical facts here not theory.
Where was this balance you're talking about in Australia or the Asia Cup? Please note we are talking empirical facts here not theory.
Yeah right, we lost all those because of Pathan. He probably was pick of our Fast/medium bowlers in the Cb series and did well with the bat as well. Jadeja was used ahead of Pathan in batting order in almost every game. Even in that tied game against Lanka had Pathan batted at number 7, we could have won that game along with Dhoni. He has done a decent job and deserves to be part of the team. And its not theory. Its how Pathan can be used well in matches. He deserves these opportunities even if he is to fail miserably.
Yeah right, we lost all those because of Pathan. He probably was pick of our Fast/medium bowlers in the Cb series and did well with the bat as well.
Pathan picked up a grand total of 6 wickets that series. I am not sure how you call him "pick" of the fast bowlers. :dontknow:
Jadeja was used ahead of Pathan in batting order in almost every game. Even in that tied game against Lanka had Pathan batted at number 7, we could have won that game along with Dhoni. He has done a decent job and deserves to be part of the team. And its not theory. Its how Pathan can be used well in matches. He deserves these opportunities even if he is to fail miserably.
He "can be", "will be", he "would be". To qualify for an all rounder I hope you understand he needs the bowl and bat. He himself classifies himself as a bowling all rounder and coming it at No.7 you are definitely a bowling all-rounder. What has be done in the bowling department to qualify for a bowlers role? Has he bowled his full quota of overs? Even in the Asia Cup he was carted around by Bangladesh. He has failed repeatedly when enough opportunities have been given to him. A friendly advice - I am up here for a serious discussion and trying understand your view point. I am ignoring your sarcastic chide, you don't really want to go down that route.
Pathan picked up a grand total of 6 wickets that series. I am not sure how you call him "pick" of the fast bowlers. :dontknow: He "can be", "will be", he "would be". To qualify for an all rounder I hope you understand he needs the bowl and bat. He himself classifies himself as a bowling all rounder and coming it at No.7 you are definitely a bowling all-rounder. What has be done in the bowling department to qualify for a bowlers role? Has he bowled his full quota of overs? Even in the Asia Cup he was carted around by Bangladesh. He has failed repeatedly when enough opportunities have been given to him. A friendly advice - I am up here for a serious discussion and trying understand your view point. I am ignoring your sarcastic chide, you don't really want to go down that route.
If you look at how other bowlers have performed including Zaheer, you would know how he he has the best stats among our bowlers in the CB series which is not saying much but he a did a decent job if he you look at his all round performance. And in my initial post I have said that he should be used as a 5th bowler or a support bowler instead of being as a frontline bowler. His role should be to bowl economical spells. We had Yuvraj in world cup who did the job of a 5th bowler and even took wickets but now we don't have him. If you look at India's batting order now. It is Sehwag, Gambhir, kohli, Rohit, Raina, Dhoni. It is difficult to include a batsman like Tiwary in the eleven. Only place Tiwary could bat is at number 7. He is surely not good enough to be at number 7. Even if he play him at that number, then you have Raina and rohit to bowl the quota of the 5th bowler. Or the other option is to straight away go with 5 genuine bowlers and 6 batsmen excluding tiwary which leaves batting little weak. Thats why I said that he can lend good balance to the side. He hasn't done badly since his comeback as you are suggesting. He has bowling average of 29 and batting average of 20 with Strike rate of 102 since his return last year. i am also here for friendly discussion so what sarcastic chide you are referring to?? Go which ever route you want to.
If you look at how other bowlers have performed including Zaheer, you would know how he he has the best stats among our bowlers in the CB series which is not saying much but he a did a decent job if he you look at his all round performance. And in my initial post I have said that he should be used as a 5th bowler or a support bowler instead of being as a frontline bowler. His role should be to bowl economical spells. We had Yuvraj in world cup who did the job of a 5th bowler and even took wickets but now we don't have him. If you look at India's batting order now. It is Sehwag, Gambhir, kohli, Rohit, Raina, Dhoni. It is difficult to include a batsman like Tiwary in the eleven. Only place Tiwary could bat is at number 7. He is surely not good enough to be at number 7. Even if he play him at that number, then you have Raina and rohit to bowl the quota of the 5th bowler. Or the other option is to straight away go with 5 genuine bowlers and 6 batsmen excluding tiwary which leaves batting little weak. Thats why I said that he can lend good balance to the side. He hasn't done badly since his comeback as you are suggesting. He has bowling average of 29 and batting average of 20 with Strike rate of 102 since his return last year. i am also here for friendly discussion so what sarcastic chide you are referring to?? Go which ever route you want to.
The highlighted is exactly what he can't do. Look at his recent performances and you would know.
There's only 1 man who has done the job of allrounder in the last couple of years and he's won us two world cups.Irfan could probably do a better job than Yusuf or Jadeja.
If you are referring to Yuvi, then I agree and he did a decent job as a spinner/pie-chucker. And especially in these conditions if an all-rounder is needed then I would pick Yusuf or Jadeja over Irfan. Probably Yusuf, always a threat with the bat and useful fill in bowler during the middle period. If not these two, try out that new boy Jalaj Saxena who bowls spin and opens for his state (I think). Irfan in these conditions and against SL will be cannon fodder either with field up or with protection.