1. 1.

• McCullum
    • Guptil
    • Taylor
    • Williamson
    • Van Wyk
    • None of the NZ bat
    • Other batsmen (state it in thread)

It's merry-go-rounds with this selection. Absolute lack of conviction, foresight, or planning. Let's take Chawla's inclusion, he has had plenty of opportunities in the past, hasn't performed consistently to international standards, rightly didn't get picked for the India A team tour to West Indies, and yet finds himself in the Indian national team. If Chawla gets in, then what's wrong with Murli Karthik!!! Makes a mockery of the players working their way through Ranji, Duleep Trophy, and eventually India A. Seriously, the national selection committee is pathetic lot who lack the basic rudimentary skills for self-assessment and planning. They are stuck in their on comfy bubble with a set of 20-25 players who they play musical chairs with.

Test squad: MS Dhoni (c/wk) Gautam Gambhir Virat Kohli Virender Sehwag ??? Been in horrendous Test form. VVS Laxman ????? Fitness, age and form in question Ajinkya Rahane Cheteshwar Pujara Suresh Raina ????? just because one says he is working hard on his weakness he is in. Ishant Sharma ?? Is it worth risking him straight after an op with no match practice! Umesh Yadav Sachin Tendulkar Zaheer Khan Ravichandran Ashwin Pragyan Ojha Piyush Chawla ????? 2 poor Ranji seasons in a row, not selected in the India A. Some really good players must feel been hard done by seeing some of the players who made it through. Playing the unbolded players, and it's a decent first XI 1) Gambhir 2) Rahane 3) Pujara 4) Tendu 5) Kohli 6) Dhoni 7) ??????? I would go for Praveen Kumar (yes play 5 bowlers). 8) Ashwin 9) Ojha 10) Zaheer 11) Yadav

There are some players who never get the same backing from selectors. E.g.' date=' Kaif (though his time is gone now), Murali Kartik, Uthappa etc.[/quote'] Rohit Sharma in Tests! Seriously is it really that hard for the selectors. I mean they don't even have to attend the matches, just a cursory glance at his domestic stats would do.

Should not be deluded into thinking the successors will definitely be better. But the last 18 months of the Srikkanth tenure has shown consistent and tiresome patterns. e.g. they clearly really wanted to find a leggie, but if the chosen one does not perform/may be a crackhead(Rahul) you do not pick proven crap in Piyush instead just to say you have a leggie..this for TEST cricket as well? :cantstop: This is part of the usual bowling merry-go-round that has seen Praveen Kumar discarded in all international cricket post-injury despite a decent start to his Test career. Even one who does not rate him must find the dependency on him one minute, followed by not acknowledging his existence, quite bizarre.

Rohit Sharma in Tests! Seriously is it really that hard for the selectors. I mean they don't even have to attend the matches, just a cursory glance at his domestic stats would do.
And I fear they may do the same with Rahane as well :facepalm: Most probably Pujara will play against NZ, Rahane will warm the bench and then play a few odis where he will strugle, and will finally be booted out of Tests as well. If you look at Rahane's stats, he's pretty similar to Rohit, i.e. both have great FC averages in 60s, and mediocre List A averages in mid 30s but the selectors still persist with them in shorter formats without giving them a shot in Tests :banghead:

Imo, problem is everybody thinks they know everything. This includes a young fan to a old fan, thus every Indian believes he/she knows cricket very well. Thus, now what we have is millions of different answers. So, I guess it is stupid to blame the selectors if they did not live up to your own expectations?

Imo, problem is everything thinks they know everything. This includes a young fan to a old fan, thus every Indian believes he/she knows cricket very well. Thus, now what we have is millions of different answers. So, I guess it is stupid to blame the selectors if they did not live up to your own expectations?
Why don't you tell us the reason for dropping someone who averages 25 with the ball?
Why don't you tell us the reason for dropping someone who averages 25 with the ball?
Modern fan who just uses cricinfo to get some random stats and judge them only on that. Thankfully our selectors are smarter and have many other dimensions such as training, form.
Modern fan who just uses cricinfo to get some random stats and judge them only on that. Thankfully our selectors are smarter and have many other dimensions such as training, form.
Yeah, those dimensions were visible even last year when no one gave him a chance of performing in tests and he turned out to be the best bowler of the season.
Yeah' date=' those dimensions were visible even last year when no one gave him a chance of performing in tests and he turned out to be the best bowler of the season.[/quote'] Well, as I said before, random stats does not mean much in cricket reality. And thus thankfully, smarter people are making decisions.
Well' date=' as I said before, random stats does not mean much in cricket reality. And thus thankfully, smarter people are making decisions.[/quote'] Smarter people? We've just been humiliated 0-8. How much worse can it get from there? But yeah, "smarter" people pick "unlucky" bowlers over bowlers who actually take wickets.
Smarter people? We've just been humiliated 0-8. How much worse can it get from there? But yeah' date=' "smarter" people pick "unlucky" bowlers over bowlers who actually take wickets.[/quote'] Just don't keep going to the 0-8. These are the same people who selected the world no.1 test team and world cup champions. There were some team problems and team was definitely overcooked last year. Let us see how they do this year.
Just don't keep going to the 0-8. These are the same people who selected the world no.1 test team and world cup champions. There were some team problems and team was definitely overcooked last year. Let us see how they do this year.
There was nothing to select in the Indian test team till last year. 10 out of 11 players selected themselves.

LOL, the way things are going with team selection, by the time the 2013 tour of south africa comes around, india will be in the unenviable position of having to play either, 1) several inexperienced batsmen or 2) several washed up batsmen. we all know how thats gonna end. if some of the seniors were dropped, you could at least move forward and start the rebuilding process. i hope the next group of selectors aren't as full of dog **** as this oily tamil rat cheekakanth. i can only laugh at the selections of suresh raina and rohit sharma...i'm surprised murali bhijay wasn't picked as well. or badrinaard.

I am all ears to hear what those "dimesnions" are :haha: Specifically inclusion of Chawla and Laxman. I am sure Piyush "confident" Chawla was outstanding in that extra dimesnion :hysterical:
Just don't keep going to the 0-8. These are the same people who selected the world no.1 test team and world cup champions. There were some team problems and team was definitely overcooked last year. Let us see how they do this year.
So the team with over the hill players which was "overcooked" last year will be fine in the future :hmmm: Maybe you are taking a leaf out of the Srinivasan and Shukla's book and will say everything is fine when we "trump" NZ at home :haha: Care to elaborate what will happen when we tour away again end of next year with 39 year old Laxman and 42 year old Tendulkar in tow? When they couldn't even hack it last year do you expect them to magically get younger and perform away when most of the coaches in intl cricket would be younger than them? Or maybe your definition of insanity differs from ours, i.e. "doing the same thing again and expecting a different result". Or maybe you are aware of a plan in case Laxman and Tendulkar retire just before the next away series leaving the team short-changed with no option but to throw unproven youngsters in the deep end :facepalm:

why does our chief selector announces squad standing up outside the office crowded by the media persons, the 5 man committee should announce in the conference hall in a calm environment and answering all the questions asked by the journalists instead of doing one after 5 minutes of answering questions