Game of Thrones (TV Spoilers allowed, Book spoilers not allowed)

Rajiv

If the episodes keep getting leaked' date=' hbo will launch a major crackdown and then bye, bye foreign shows for all of us... :mad:[/quote'] Nobody can stop torrents right now. They can only stop leaks BEFORE the launch of the show. Once the telecast officially starts, torrents will come irrespective of how tough the companies are.

The leak is their own fault. They decided to send the copies to reviewers weeks in advance. As if such a big show needs such publicity
Seriously....the build up to this season has easily surpassed any shows/movie ever released. There was no need at all for giving reviewers copies of episodes - at max they could have been invited for special screenings instead of sending episodes.

If the episodes keep getting leaked' date=' hbo will launch a major crackdown and then bye, bye foreign shows for all of us... :mad:[/quote'] This leak has nothing to do with usual uploads and I am certain TV will be last thing they will be able to stop

Nobody can stop torrents right now. They can only stop leaks BEFORE the launch of the show. Once the telecast officially starts' date=' torrents will come irrespective of how tough the companies are.[/quote'] Pretty much this ... But person who leaked it if it's screener is screwed as mostly all screeners have invisible watermark which can identify the person who leaked .

i dont think they care that much HBO themselves have said that some 5-6 million box sets for each season are sold per year. A lot of my friends got GOT box sets.
Yeah....Game of Thrones is already the most pirated show on earth and this season was also going to break all records of piracy so if its leaked a day before telecast it doesn't really matter that much.

Yeah....Game of Thrones is already the most pirated show on earth and this season was also going to break all records of piracy so if its leaked a day before telecast it doesn't really matter that much.
It does matter a lot this year specially as hbo is opening up and allowing its content on third party Internet services like that Apple TV and this was main draw and honestly when some thing is leaked it hurts as people who are going to watch legally will also pirate . This is already half the season leaked and it's gonna hurt them badly

I mean forget about box sets the freaking merchandise is worth something like $1 billion a year. I am staring to think this leak had the blessings of HBO executives. Who turned a blind eye. I was out yesterday and must have easily seen 10-15 Winter is Coming and Lannister Always Pays his Debts shirts. The only losers in all this are those who paid for HBO. I doubt they will cancel cause HBO does have some good other shows as well. Makes you think that GOT would be a lot more money making if it was on a free to air platform as of now. It probably needed a lot of initial capital to get it started which HBO could afford. But now that its established I would say that it needs to be as many people as possible. Even if 10% of the people who watch it do manage to buy merchandise and box sets your talking about mega profits. I do know for a fact that when they were filming with northern ireland initially they had to pay a big fee. But now they negotiated a tax free deal thanks to tourism to north ireland more than paying for the cost of filming. So GOT operational costs are falling per year. A mixture of its popularity and the learning curve effect with established infra.

It does matter a lot this year specially as hbo is opening up and allowing its content on third party Internet services like that Apple TV and this was main draw and honestly when some thing is leaked it hurts as people who are going to watch legally will also pirate . This is already half the season leaked and it's gonna hurt them badly
Those who have taken HBO NOW have paid for it so they will watch it anyway. In case of super popular shows like GoT HBO would know that its going to be pirated very, very heavily so I'm sure they factor that in while making their financial projections about such shows. Also, I'm sure it will only create more hype now that so many episodes have leaked.

I mean forget about box sets the freaking merchandise is worth something like $1 billion a year. I am staring to think this leak had the blessings of HBO executives. Who turned a blind eye. I was out yesterday and must have easily seen 10-15 Winter is Coming and Lannister Always Pays his Debts shirts. The only losers in all this are those who paid for HBO. I doubt they will cancel cause HBO does have some good other shows as well. Makes you think that GOT would be a lot more money making if it was on a free to air platform as of now. It probably needed a lot of initial capital to get it started which HBO could afford. But now that its established I would say that it needs to be as many people as possible. Even if 10% of the people who watch it do manage to buy merchandise and box sets your talking about mega profits. I do know for a fact that when they were filming with northern ireland initially they had to pay a big fee. But now they negotiated a tax free deal thanks to tourism to north ireland more than paying for the cost of filming. So GOT operational costs are falling per year. A mixture of its popularity and the learning curve effect with established infra.
Never looked at this way...good post :two_thumbs_up: Still knowing how closed hbo is and how they think they will be super pissed but I agree it won't hurt show but might hurt some of new deals they made online like that streaming exclusive partnership with apple .. Let's see how it ends but some one is really really screwed .

Those who have taken HBO NOW have paid for it so they will watch it anyway. In case of super popular shows like GoT HBO would know that its going to be pirated very, very heavily so I'm sure they factor that in while making their financial projections about such shows. Also, I'm sure it will only create more hype now that so many episodes have leaked.
See I feel bad for them this time as because of piracy they released it on Internet and also released it or planned to release in 170 countries India included at very small time frame like day or 2 or even that exact day . So you can see episode in India the day it's shown in USA . Piracy still happened after wards but leak is different thing it's like movies leaking before release and they rarely do well .