Ricky Ponting master of pull shot

bablankalhan

^Oh please...it's only recently he has been struggling against the short ball...also' date=' does it occur to you that since he won't duck, he's bound to get hit more than the players who just pussy out and duck?[/quote'] he has been getting hit since his career began. LOL, yeah, a guy that keeps getting clocked on the head isn't a pussy...:giggle: face it, he just isnt very good at playing that shot, and thats the reason why gets skull ****ed so many times. maybe if he 'pussied out' by ducking more often, he wouldn't keep embarrassing himself against crappy bowlers like steve harmison?

He may have copped a few short ones but he was one of the better pullers/hookers the game has seen. Before the last couple of years he may have been hit by a short one but he seldom got out to those. It's only over the last 2-3 years he started getting out to short ones but in no way does it diminish his legacy as one of the better batsmen against short pitched stuff.

^ U_G, is a batsman considered good against short pitched only if he cuts or pulls? I mean guys like Dravid, who also was a very good puller, or Sachin, who was good at the hook shot, but who are better at swaying out of the line are not good ? Also, Sachin's upper cut is a far less riskier shot than the pull hook and still highly effective.

^ U_G' date=' is a batsman considered good against short pitched only if he cuts or pulls? I mean guys like Dravid, who also was a very good puller, or Sachin, who was good at the hook shot, but who are better at swaying out of the line are not good ? Also, Sachin's upper cut is a far less riskier shot than the pull hook and still highly effective.[/quote'] But here we are talking about the best hooker/puller and I don't see too many players better than Ponting in his prime.

Matthew Hayden was best puller/hooker....Ponting is nowhere close to him :two_thumbs_up:
Not better than Ponting. Hayden used to come out of the crease to bowlers but I never saw him hook that much.
Richie Richardson was the best puller/hooker I ever saw. Even better than Viv.
Didn't see him a lot but Ponting in his pomp was an amazing puller/hooker and the best I have seen.

Not better than Ponting. Hayden used to come out of the crease to bowlers but I never saw him hook that much. Didn't see him a lot but Ponting in his pomp was an amazing puller/hooker and the best I have seen.
dude checkout some of his innings against South Africans:two_thumbs_up:

I still remember how Hayden's hand was broken by Donald and he couldn't do anything against WI :haha: He came back in early 2000s and his 2nd coming coincided with the fact there was no decent pacers in the world.
Shoaib akhtar ,Makhaya Ntini , Jermaine Lawson ,Fidel Edwards , Shane Bond , Steve Harmison ,Freddie Flintoff Hayden use to shimmy down the wicket and the play those pull shots...was delight to watch !:thumbs_up:

Shoaib akhtar ,Makhaya Ntini , Jermaine Lawson ,Fidel Edwards , Shane Bond , Steve Harmison ,Freddie Flintoff Hayden use to shimmy down the wicket and the play those pull shots...was delight to watch !:thumbs_up:
Out of all these only Akhtar and Bond were the better ones and I doubt Hayden was outstanding against them. Aussies strugled against Bond everytime Bond faced them and even Akhtar troubled them more often than not. Jermain Lawson, Edwards, Harmison cannot be compared to the top fast bowlers in 90s.

Out of all these only Akhtar and Bond were the better ones and I doubt Hayden was outstanding against them. Aussies strugled against Bond everytime Bond faced them and even Akhtar troubled them more often than not. Jermain Lawson' date=' Edwards, Harmison cannot be compared to the top fast bowlers in 90s.[/quote'] dude Steve Harmison and Flintoff cant be ignored !

dude Steve Harmison and Flintoff cant be ignored !
Harmison had 1-2 decent series and looked like a lost puppy most of the times. Flintoff cannot be termed as a great fast bowler in any discussion. They are not the gold standard against whom batsmen's performance is judged. If you can't score against the likes of Donald, Ambrose, Ws and then suddenly start scoring once these guys are retired and score against the likes of Harmison & Flintoff it'd a negative against you.