Stomach excercises

Sooda

I need to lose flab around the stomach/belly region Whats the ideal way to do crunches so i can flatten it out effectively also whats the diff between cruches and sit ups AND... :-) Those muscle building drinks which people get- how effective are they and are they recommended-bearing in mind I am very much a begginner...

I need to lose flab around the stomach/belly region Whats the ideal way to do crunches so i can flatten it out effectively also whats the diff between cruches and sit ups AND... :-) Those muscle building drinks which people get- how effective are they and are they recommended-bearing in mind I am very much a begginner...
You are thinking about this the wrong way. For starters, you could do a million crunches and sit-ups, but that flab will still remain there. To get the flab off, you need to do cardio-vascular exercise - eg; running, swimming, or my personal favorite; jump rope. To see the results of your numerous crunches and sit-ups, you need to get lean If i were you (ie; a beginner) i wouldn't start with sit-ups or crunches. Try doing leg raises. Lie down on the floor in a vertical line, put your hands over your head and lift your legs off the ground. See how many leg-raises you can do. ...and muscle building drinks can cause bloating if you over-use them

Like it was mentioned earlier, crunches, situps, leg-raises are used to tone/build the stomach muscles.... till now, there has never been a successful formula to spot-burn fat... u can lose over-all fat with a combination of cardio/diet/weights.... definitely sitsups and crunches are good cos they give core strength which is useful in sports/lifting weights and make ur posture look better too... but definitely wont help the flab hanging off the mid-section..

Or in other words you could have a super cut stomach muscles like Bruce Lee but if they are covered with a thick layer of fat then you will see jack sh.t. No matter how many crunches you do :D So as Pred said you got to burn the fat baby. Most people if they burn fat will automatically see a semi decent cut stomach without doing any stomach exercise. Obviously to pop them out nicely you need to work on it. So in conclusion work the muscles plus BURN THE FAT! P.S- Btw you cannot burn/target stomach fat only. You just have to cardio and you will loose fat all over your body including your stomach. No magic fixes just plain hard work. Edit- Gator beat me to it :two_thumbs_up:

Cheers. I do run! play a bit of football so im reasonbly fit. run on the treadmill too- not requently enough though but ive got a bit of a belly. its not big, cant see it if ive got a shirt on. i want a flat stomach. I thoguht crucnhes were designed to burn the fat round that region...maybe, like you guys say its CV + the crunches thatll get me there ...

Crunches will build the muscles...make them bigger. Cardio will burn the fat allowing the stomach muscles to show through. Put 10 potatoes on a table and shrink wrap them with cling film. What happens? You see all the potatoes/bumps clearly. Now remove the cling film and but a pillow on top. What happens now? You don't see the potato bumps because the pillow is too thick. So basically the fat on your belly is equivalent to the pillow. Cardio will reduce the pillow to cling film level and you will automatically have a six pack. Then it's just a matter of how much you want the potato to stick out? So crunches will make the potatoes grow bigger. Again you can have big potatoes but they won't be visible if you have a pillow on top. As the saying goes...washboard stomach is built in the kitchen. So diet is very important.

While I agree witht he cardio angle, the crunches will develop stomach muscles - muscles that burn fat even when you are idle - the best fat burning trick is to develop muscles wherever on your body - they burn fat even when you are sitting in a chair at work...

just joined the YMCA for the flab factor plus in my case overweight problem as well (175 lbs@5 ft 8). the fitlinxx linked machines they have are cool. they are pre-programmed for your range of motion by the trainer and helps you operate within the same range everytime. they have started me with 20 minutes of cardio plus 5 different crunch/weight excercises including one called the "Ab Crunch".