When Sachin Tendulkar sledged Glenn McGrath

bablankalhan

Sachin Tendulkar says he, too, has sledged, but only once and that as part of team strategy. The batting maestro needled Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath by telling he would go after his bowling and the ploy worked. "I have never sledged per se merely for the sake of sledging. I did that only once as a part of team strategy. This was at the Kenya Champions Trophy. We were playing Australia." Tendulkar recollects in a book 'SACH' penned by Gautam Bhattacharya. Tendulkar describes how he irked McGrath with a cheeky line. "The match was played under overcast conditions. The wicket was also very damp. I had told Sourav before that I would do something to upset McGrath's rhythm. So, in the very first over, I stepped out to him. The first thing I said to him was: 'Today I will hit you out of the ground.' He got really angry and started spraying the ball around. This was exactly what we wanted. As on that surface, he may have been very dangerous. "We did win that match ultimately and I felt very happy. My sledging did work for the team.

EPIC! :hail: I am not the biggest fan of Sachin but this is pretty much the differnce between Kolhi and Sachin. He took bowlers such Arkams, Waqars, Bonds, Mcgraths, Warnes etc to the cleaners while Kohli gets to face just few bowlers half as good as those Sachin has faced in his career. That's not Kohli's 'fault' neither is he a bad batsman, superb bat at this age but its for those who call him Sachin 2.0 and come up with various ODI stats. :smile:

I have seen Sachin saying F off to Saqlain Mushtaq after taking his wicket at Sharjah around 1996/97. I think Navjot Sidhu scored a century in that game too. Another game where Sachin recently sledged was India's tour of SA in 2006. SA were on the verge of a victory and he was bowling leg spin to Ashwell Prince in the rough round the wicket to the left hander. He was almost turning the ball square and after one such ball which bounced out of the rough went ahead and told Ashwell, "You can't hit me for a six, can you?". :laugh: It was fun!

EPIC! :hail: I am not the biggest fan of Sachin but this is pretty much the differnce between Kolhi and Sachin. He took bowlers such Arkams, Waqars, Bonds, Mcgraths, Warnes etc to the cleaners while Kohli gets to face just few bowlers half as good as those Sachin has faced in his career. That's not Kohli's 'fault' neither is he a bad batsman, superb bat at this age but its for those who call him Sachin 2.0 and come up with various ODI stats. :smile:
Your post is screaming that you're a big Sachin fan. :giggle:

In fact, I remember another instance against McGrath in India 2001. I think this was the first ODI at Bangalore in the ODI series. Sachin hit a short ball from McGrath for a six (or a boundary do not quite recollect) and showed his hand towards the direction of the ball & asked him to collect it. He was charged up that innings and if not for a poor piece of running from VVS Laxman which led to Tendulkar's run out, he looked set for a big one. He had upset McGrath's rhythm. The OP has this some shots of this innings on his YouTube channel. Slkus9jmUKU

Your post is screaming that you're a big Sachin fan. :giggle:
It might be. But I can assure you I am not. You could see my other posts. :beee: I am a fan but with limits unlike some here. Might go over the hill when it comes to Dravid though its meaningless to show Dravid some support here because people come up with his comparison with Tendu and how slow he was :facepalm:.

In fact, I remember another instance against McGrath in India 2001. I think this was the first ODI at Bangalore in the ODI series. Sachin hit a short ball from McGrath for a six (or a boundary do not quite recollect) and showed his hand towards the direction of the ball & asked him to collect it. He was charged up that innings and if not for a poor piece of running from VVS Laxman which led to Tendulkar's run out, he looked set for a big one. He had upset McGrath's rhythm. The OP has this some shots of this innings on his YouTube channel. Slkus9jmUKU
What happened to epic clashes of cricket? Sachin-McGrath Sachin-Akhtar or even pace war between Akhtar and Lee

true buddy Virat didnot score when it mattered against Aussies in CB Series 2012 as well as in recent T20 World Cup and some fans compare him to Sachin . RIDICULOUS

Kohli has long way to go before being compared in same league as SRT....Jonathon Trott toured Australia for the first time during Ashes last year ...scored heavily in tests got 3 ODI hundreds as well....Kohli atleast should have won us MCG test...but he didnot...

I have seen Sachin saying F off to Saqlain Mushtaq after taking his wicket at Sharjah around 1996/97. I think Navjot Sidhu scored a century in that game too. Another game where Sachin recently sledged was India's tour of SA in 2006. SA were on the verge of a victory and he was bowling leg spin to Ashwell Prince in the rough round the wicket to the left hander. He was almost turning the ball square and after one such ball which bounced out of the rough went ahead and told Ashwell, "You can't hit me for a six, can you?". :laugh: It was fun!
yeah i remeber that sharjah game....very rarely Ten Cricket telecasts highlights of that match...rare game when India thrashed Pakistan in sharjah during 90's South Africa game was 3rd test i guess....Ganguly's inspired comeback ...?