TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!!

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! The point is he delivered under pressure in 1st innings of both matches, even though we always want a 100, so in the respect he underachieved again :lol: , and yes he failed in the last innings, but simply saying he can't play under pressure is too much of an overstatement.

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!!

The point is he delivered under pressure in 1st innings of both matches' date=' even though we always want a 100, so in the respect he underachieved again :lol: , and yes he failed in the last innings, but simply saying he can't play under pressure is too much of an overstatement.[/quote'] he didnt deliver in the first dig--i would say ashwell prince delivered. SRT could've delivered but chose to regress to shardashram schoolboy avatar. maybe its time for him to pull a warnie/marto... maybe not.

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! alright now that 2006 is over.. lets see what 2007 brings him.. :chin: am telling you people.. he should open innings.. he will dectate his inning and team's innings.. just like ODIs.. veeru can come later if they want to pick him..

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! Honestly i did not expect anything from SRT in the 4th innings. Dravid & Laxman were my only hopes to save the game. Once Dravid left early, i was sure we wouldnt last more than 30-40 overs. Hats off to Dhoni & Zaheer for showing some stomach for fight. As for my 2 bits on SRT, I no longer reckon SRT as a genius or an all time great. He has simply failed far too many times, when the situation calls for some fight. I'll remember him as a very very good batsman, who has thrilled me to death many a times, in the 90s, but never as a player who could be counted up on, when u most needed him. Lara, who is 37, did bat a day to save a test match vs India, recently. Punter (33), scored a ton (i think), to win in a 4th innings (vs SA in Australia) chase recently. So its fair that a batsman who is often compared with these blokes (of similar age & class), is judged by the same yardstick. PS: Vent all your abuses at me, all day, for these honest comments, as i wont be reading every post, for the next couple of weeks :flux: PPS: 1) I am mighty happy with how the series has gone so far, i never thought we'd win a test in SA. Thank you Sreesanth, you were the difference. 2) I have a "I told you so" post to settle with Shwetabh (who backed Kaif over Ganguly). I dont think Kaif would have crossed single digits facing this hostile short pitched attack. I'll leave that until i get back from my vacation.

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! SRT played similar match saving knocks even as a kid, but people forget them and now rave about recent Lara's or Ponting's knock. If their knocks made them great, then SRT achieved that over a decade ago. As Rahul bhai said, he's past his prime, there is no doubt about it, but still you'll see him being the reason or scapegoat of every defeat. Doesn't add up somehow.

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! Anakin, he aint a scape goat for the defeat. The defeat was due to a collective failure from our batsmen. But the thread is about SRT's stomach for fight, which is questionable. And the comparisons with recent knocks on Lara & Punter, is just to keep SRT's age & greatness in perspective (Punter & Lara are of similar age & at similar stage in their career). It would be unfair if you compare SRT with a Kevin Pietersen, who has just begun. He is in a free fall right now. I am afraid, SRT, who was once believed to be the greatest batter since Bradman, will merely be remembered as a very good batsman, by the rest of the world, by the time he hangs his boots.

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! Again you'll find double standard. Although I don't think he's in free fall right now, and say even if he is, then similar thing happened with Viv too. I don't think you remember Viv for his last years. When talking about his stomach for fight, remember he carried the whole team since he was a kid and against much worse umpiring and much better bowling. I'm sure if you compare one of lara's bad years with SRT's year at that time, you'll see similarities again.

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! If SRT had retired after 2002, stats not withstanding, the world would have recognized him as the second greatest all time test batsman. 4 mediocre years, is just too long in a great man's resume. Thats nearly 25% of his career. Am afraid, if he plays for a few more years, he'll end up with a sub 40 average, against SA, Aus & Pak. Even his die hard fans would find it hard to rank him an all time great, with that statistic. PS: Warney, McGrath, Tony Greig, Steve Waugh who were all die hard backers of SRT, have all adjusted their opinions after SRT's recent decline.

Re: TIME FOR SACHIN TO STEP UP !!!! I have not watched Viv play much. Most of what i watched him, was in highlight clips, which will obviously show his best. But i doubt, if Viv ever pussy footed his way in his decline. He always batted like a great, never a mortal, is what i have heard & read.