Delhi Gangrape | Four accused sentenced to death

Tiger80

Can any Delhi ICF members clarify whether Delhi is so unsafe as it is made out to be? I know for a fact that even Mumbai has places where girls can't venture out after 8pm while locations like Bandra/ Andheri' date=' women can be seen alone even at midnight.[/quote'] Well it's not like that,but the way I see it ,from the moment Delhi has became NCR this problem has gone out of hands likes of noida,gurgaon,Faridabad etc ,also the arrival of people from other parts as well as Bangladeshi's in Delhi has really made this situation bonkers ,I am not justifying Delhi but situation 10-15 years ago was much better.

Hah hah ha, shame on you Delhi's citizen ! You are saying Bangladeahis are making situation worse at Delhi ! How ? Just a few day's earlier your countries NOVEL WINNER ECONOMIST MR. AMATTA SEN delivered a speech in a seminar where he said Bangladesh is a much better place than India in these sort of situation !

^ What places are these that are considered unsafe after 8PM?
For a start, visit suburbs beyond Chembur on the harbour line, interior regions of Kurla, some parts of Jogeshwari, goregaon east. Heck, just last week there was reports of eve teasing on western expressway bus stop near Gundavli tank.

Hah hah ha' date=' shame on you Delhi's citizen ! You are saying Bangladeahis are making situation worse at Delhi ! How ? Just a few day's earlier your countries NOVEL WINNER ECONOMIST MR. AMATTA SEN delivered a speech in a seminar where he said Bangladesh is a much better place than India in these sort of situation ![/quote'] Huh?! Who said its a problem because of BD illegals only? But yes, they are also a factor among others. As the poster above you already said, all these workers (uneducated youth from Bihar, UP, BD illegals, etc.) flock into the NCR region for jobs/ emploment etc. and end up committing these heinous crimes. Search google and you would find hundreds of cases.

This thread looks like self-flagellation central. With regular intervals of bhaiyya bashing. The rape statistics about Delhi is a shocker in how trivially low it is on a per capita basis. It's unfathomably low even after adjusting for non reported cases. Given the way life is organized in Delhi (and most Indian cities), we should expect stats that is WAY above what we get from our crime bureaus. In Defence colony, in front of my apartment, we have had our roads excavated and now they are being relaid. This has resulted in a temporary settlement of workers' families along the roads. The street that has been newly relaid already has kids rolling on their skates with fancy oversized helmets. How can these workers, surviving each day in unimaginable squalor, not feel resentful towards the affluent residents of this colony? It's shocking that not one of them snapped and did something terrible. The comparable cities I can think of are in South Africa where according to Wiki a woman has more chances of being raped than being a literate.
Where did you see Bhaiyya bashing?? :omg: So criminals of any state is critisiced and it means the whole population is bashed? And for the part about way of life, Delhi being the country's capital/ premier city, what do you expect it to be? No one is saying crimes could be made to be zero. It is not possible. But the condition of the city off late is terrible to say the least. Look at Mumbai. Back in the 1990's, when I first came here along with my family from north India, it was terrorised by encounters, underworld, etc. Today, we have fortunately curbed that menace. Most of the city is free from gang wars and infact, personally I would say, it is the safest city for girls in the country (way above my hometown Kolkata).

For a start' date=' visit suburbs beyond Chembur on the harbour line, interior regions of Kurla, some parts of Jogeshwari, goregaon east. Heck, just last week there was reports of eve teasing on western expressway bus stop near Gundavli tank.[/quote'] Reports of eve-teasing? Wow. Your earlier post made it seem like there were just two safe places.

Reports of eve-teasing? Wow. Your earlier post made it seem like there were just two safe places.
Read that post again. What i meant was there are places in Mumbai too that are "not so safe" as people are saying here. And regarding this incident, if you don't know, its in the middle of the western expressway, considered the busiest in the city. Overall, that is not the point I was saying originally. Mumbai, by all counts is a very safe city. Period.

Read that post again. What i meant was there are places in Mumbai too that are "not so safe" as people are saying here. And regarding this incident, if you don't know, its in the middle of the western expressway, considered the busiest in the city. Overall, that is not the point I was saying originally. Mumbai, by all counts is a very safe city. Period.
You mention only Bandra and Andheri as safe in that post. Which part of Jogeshwari are you referring to? The sabzi mandi and surrounding bylanes? And Goregaon E around the station at night under the skywalk? Can you post links which establish these locales as a nogo area for women apart from incidents of eve-teasing? Let it be on record, so women in mumbai can know which spots to avoid walking through in the night. New Yorkers and Londoners will also tell you to not drive past certain streets in the night. Like you said, Mumbai is remarkably safe for a Megacity for a lone woman on the street (not even in a car) by and large.

You mention only Bandra and Andheri as safe in that post. Which part of Jogeshwari are you referring to? The sabzi mandi and surrounding bylanes? And Goregaon E around the station at night under the skywalk? Can you post links which establish these locales as a nogo area for women apart from incidents of eve-teasing? Let it be on record, so women in mumbai can know which spots to avoid walking through in the night. New Yorkers and Londoners will also tell you to not drive past certain streets in the night. Like you said, Mumbai is remarkably safe for a Megacity for a lone woman on the street (not even in a car) by and large.
So you want me to mention all the places from Colaba to Borivali? Man, I was just referring to these two places as an "example" in that post of mine. :facepalm: Anyways, the discussion is about Delhi and not Mumbai. I am out of this....... About the bolded part: :agree:

Unprecedented outrage in India. I think there is a lot more to it than just the girl's plight or the number of rapes in Delhi. These girls and the boys sisters have long been suffering from daily harassment in buses and crowded roads and have not been able to do anything. Shoulder rubbing, touching, groping, pinching are daily incidents and people do it with immunity in a place like Delhi. These are people with a lot of anger with an opportunity to show it.

@sarchasm please post the link for the stats you are citing. FYI MMR population is over 20 million and not 12 million. So less than half the number of crimes reported per capita. So much for your conclusion. And Mumbai women have a very low threshold for tolerance for ambient harassment and molesters. Incidents that are par for the course in Delhi's crowded buses get reported in Mumbai if anyone tries.

^ please post the link for the stats you are citing.
What stats? Did not site any stats. You smoking weed?? :dontknow: Why do you people get so sensitive the moment someone says that there are problems in Delhi? I am not even making comparisons with other cities here, but you are immediately on the offensive. You seriously think Delhi is a very safe place for women and the things I have mentioned above do not happen?

Mumbai is scarcely any safer than NCR. NCRB stats for 2011 says 568 incidents in Delhi and 218 in Mumbai. But typically data for Delhi includes the NCR regions which taken together has a population of 22 millions. Almost twice that of MMR which stands at 12 million. There's geography too. Delhi's terrain allows more opportunity for such crimes. Long stretches of roads with no surrounding colonies. Women in Delhi can and do otherwise step out at late hours in more populated pockets.
I have lived in both cities and regardless of the stats, I can tell you that women feel comparatively safer in Mumbai. Going out at 2 or 3 AM alone without a car is not exactly a scary proposition for girls here. Again, welcome to disagree if you wish.

What stats? Did not site any stats. You smoking weed?? :dontknow: Why do you people get so sensitive the moment someone says that there are problems in Delhi? I am not even making comparisons with other cities here, but you are immediately on the offensive. You seriously think Delhi is a very safe place for women and the things I have mentioned above do not happen?
:laugh:

Can any Delhi ICF members clarify whether Delhi is so unsafe as it is made out to be? I know for a fact that even Mumbai has places where girls can't venture out after 8pm while locations like Bandra/ Andheri' date=' women can be seen alone even at midnight.[/quote'] No, not every guy is a rapist here:giggle:

Huh?! Who said its a problem because of BD illegals only? But yes' date=' they are also a factor among others. As the poster above you already said, all these workers (uneducated youth from Bihar, UP, BD illegals, etc.) flock into the NCR region for jobs/ emploment etc. and end up committing these heinous crimes. Search google and you would find hundreds of cases.[/quote'] To be honest, Raj Thackeray was saying the same.. Wasn't he? :winky: