In quest of India's national dish.... what is it?

Nova

Never had biryani? Is that even possible? :nervous:
My thoughts exactly,I mean it must have been prepared in Some Shaadi or Party right? But the more I think about it now,I went to Punjab 2 years back on vacation don't recollect seeing Biryani in a lot of food joints :hmmm:

what? Daal Chawal doesn't count? and a blob of meat between two buns does? Daal Chawal is probably over eaten. Also, not only do we have it over the holidays but at least 200 of the 365 days in the year.
Where did I say Dal Chaawal does not count... I came out in support of it in my OP. But, it's not a holiday dish per se. I am talking about a festival dish, made occasionally on holidays, by everyone in India, and is a symbol of that holiday. There is none really, which is not a negative. Just an observation. We are probably too diverse for that.

Biryani is hardly a southie dish. If anything it can be called a Mughal one which developed in parallel in Lucknow and Hyderabad.
If you want to consider including Hyderabad as part of South India then Hyderabadi Biryani is more than "hardly a southie dish". :nono:

me 2 nevr had biryani
Never had biryani? Is that even possible? :nervous:
My thoughts exactly,I mean it must have been prepared in Some Shaadi or Party right? But the more I think about it now,I went to Punjab 2 years back on vacation don't recollect seeing Biryani in a lot of food joints :hmmm:
Well not true actually. I have lived in Amritsar and I can tell you that Biryani is available in many famous restaurants/ food courts. I am really surprised Sabby has never eaten Biryani :omg: Next time I come to Chandigarh to meet Harmeet Singh, I will definitely come to Ludhiana and take you out to taste it :two_thumbs_up:

Where did I say Dal Chaawal does not count... I came out in support of it in my OP. But, it's not a holiday dish per se. I am talking about a festival dish, made occasionally on holidays, by everyone in India, and is a symbol of that holiday. There is none really, which is not a negative. Just an observation. We are probably too diverse for that.
I see what you're saying. With 5000 years of history behind the variety of foods we have, it will be hard to find one dish that is "national" for any occasion. Everyone eats laddoos over "ganesh chaturthi". All I can come up with in that regards. Not really a meal though.

sachi no one i know eats it and many of my friends are not even punjabi :hysterical: acha ludhiana wala plan pakka fir! :icflove:
Looong time back I this Palak wali daal and paratha at my friends home (lives in Jalandhar). Still can't forget the tast :icflove: Yahan Mumbai me northie dishes are so bland :((

Biryani is hardly a southie dish. If anything it can be called a Mughal one which developed in parallel in Lucknow and Hyderabad.
Biryani is as much a south dish as it is north Indian. In fact there are more south Indian varieties! The origins of Biryani has various theories. The prevailing thought is that it was brought to India, from Persia, by the Muslims. "Dum" (slow heat) style cooking can be found in Perisa. Dum is a persian word used in Urdu. However, this can be debated because biryani was known even before the times of Babur. Chef Jacob (may he rest in peace), during his research on ancient Indian dishes, found an inscription going back to 348 BC that has mention of a barrel of biryani sent by the Chola King to his Pandya counterpart, while the latter corresponded by sending the pinattu, or the fruit of the palm. This again needs to be verified by others, but if true, might give credence to the thought that Biryani was originally a south Indian dish that traveled to the north. Pratibha Karan, author of the book titled [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Biryani-Pratibha-Karan/dp/8184000936]Biryani[/ame], says that Biryani is an Indian invention derived from Pulaos which the muslim invaders brought from their lands. She thinks of it as an army dish. Soldiers did not have time for making separate dishes and so just mixed the meat they hunted with rice, thus starting the trend which caught on and became mainstay. In south, mutton rice called "Oon Soru" in Tamil, dating back to 2 AD, could be considered as the precursor of the modern Biryani. Biryani can definitely be considered a pan-Indian dish. If Dal Chaawal is the staple of the masses, Biryani is the exotic dish of holidays, festivities and weddings. Persians might have inspired it but we have made it our own, and colonized it with delicious regional variations.