The Very Best Batsmen Under Pressure

Dhondy

But Boss.. what these stats show that Lara n Sachin face many such situations than any other player out there at that position. Plus they have played lot more test matches than any other players out there.... Border, Waugh etc have played in different position for their teams. So they would never appear there. Even Inzi for that matter have come 5th even 6th at times...RD is our 1 down guy.. Good numbers...terrific turn over time Boss..:two_thumbs_up:

Quantifying pressure is not so easy. 20/2, 40/3 etc are good indicators of pressure in the first innings. But so are 150/4 and 220/6, if you are facing a 300 run deficit, arent they ? Second, pressure is relative. There has to be a weightage/index to credit batsmen based on the odds they face. For eg: VVS's 281 came under pressure, but so did a batsman's ton in the first innings coming in at 20/2. Surely VVS deserves a lot more credit for his effort. Here is some food for thought. The experts can expand on this: Lets divide the game into 4 innings. In innings 1, 20/2, 40/3 etc can be considered pressure situations. But how do we quantify this ? Here is one way. Relative Pressure Credit, RPC = (No. of runs the batsman scored + No. of runs before the batsman came in)/(No. of wickets left) - (No. of runs before batsman came in)/No. of wickets left If the batsman comes in at 20/2 & scores a 100, his RPC = (20 + 100)/7 - 20/8 = 14.65 (when he came in 2 wickets were down, 8 remained and when he left 7 remained. If he remained not out then denominator is 8 instead of 7). If OTOH, the batsman comes in at 20/4 & scores 80, his RPC = (80+20)/5 - 20/6 = 16.67 In this case, even though the batsman scored 20 less runs, his RPC is higher because of the higher degree of difficulty during his entry. In innings 2, 3, the pressure guage should be based on the deficit. 20/2, is not a pressure cooker situation, if the opponent were bundled out for 85. OTOH, 150/4 is a pressure cooker situation, if the opponents piled up 535. I'll add more on this, when i find time. Innings 4, is the hardest to quantify, as the conditions and the opponents play a huge factor. Need to think about this. PS: I'll reserve my praise for Bheem, until he somehow proves that the Wall is the king of pressure situations :-)

Yes Bumps ... all valid points ... this was just one aspect which we are looking into. If I apply your criterian that list may contain very very few members ... Will let you know.
To clarify, my criteria is not a filter which screens batsmen. Rather it assigns an RPC for each innings a batsman has played. The idea is to total these RPCs & see who has the highest or rank the batsmen based on these RPCs
Date               TeamScore    Batsmanname    Howout            Bowler           Runs    Balls

1996 Jun 6              17    SR Tendulkar    GP Thorpe    CC Lewis    122    177
1997 Aug 9              9    SR Tendulkar    M Muralitharan    KR Pushpakumara    139    266
1999 Jan 2              17    SR Tendulkar    lbw            DJ Nash        67    93
1999 Jan 28             6    SR Tendulkar    Wasim Akram    Saqlain Mushtaq    136    273
1999 Dec 26             11    SR Tendulkar    JL Langer    DW Fleming    116    191
2002 Aug 8              11    SR Tendulkar    Bowled            MP Vaughan    92    113
2002 Oct 30             11    SR Tendulkar    CH Gayle    CE Cuffy    176    298
2004 Nov 3              14    SR Tendulkar    MJ Clarke    NM Hauritz    55    83

BB, pls remove the following from the where clause of your first query:
AND batsman.name = 'SR Tendulkar'

and repost your results. Thanks.

hey bheembhai could you give the schema of your db? I could try and help you with the queries then. Though i work on Oracle and not MySql. Btw have you tried Oracle ?. It should be better than My Sql. However the free version of Oracle does have a limit of 3GB and i think you have more data than that :D

I think a great way to know if a batsman performs well under pressure from stats is to see if they have scored more than 50% of the team total. It doesnt matter whether its batting 1st or 2nd, when everyone else around you is failing, you are under pressure.This would be more suited to the one dayers. In tests, its probably around 35-40% i guess.