Dravid's men, a poor one-day outfit: Atherton

Feed

Passing a rather critical assessment on India's performance in the seven-match ODI series against Eng, former captain Mike has termed Dravid's men as a poor one-day outfit. More... London, September 9: Passing a rather critical assessment on India's performance in the seven-match one-day cricket series against England, former captain Mike Atherton has termed Rahul Dravid's men as a poor one-day outfit, whose best days are behind it. The brutal truth is that India, far from being a powerhouse in one-day cricket, are a poor one-day outfit themselves - as the last World Cup proved," Atherton said after India lost the final match by seven wickets. Atherton also took a dig at the growing age of the team members and it weak fielding skills. "They haven't changed key personnel since then, apart from the coach Greg Chappell, and, given their age profile they are a team whose best days are behind them. "They are completely lacking in athleticism and agility, weak in pace bowling and so badly balanced that England should have beaten them comprehensively," he wrote in his 'The Sunday Telegraph' column. He did not also spare England for conceding their 3-1 lead at the midway stage of the series and asked them not to get carries way with the win. "Despite all the unmistakably promising signs, there have been so many false dawns before it would pay not to get too carried away... "With three matches to go, India were on their knees. That they were somehow able to take this series to the wire says much about how far England still have to travel," he said.

I agree with Atherton India is not a good ODI unit but England aren't good either as the WC, the odi series loss to West Indies and the close series against India confirms. Despite agile fielding their team suffers from complete lack of ODI cricket ability. Otherwise how come an England unit that is superior in fielding to India's not able to beat India convincingly in the ODI series? In short both India and England equally suck in the ODI form of cricket. Lest India can say their fielding is not as good as the aging players aren't agile anymore but what excuse has England got? I'm afraid it is nothing more than short of skill as for England is concerned. BTW I fail to understand why these Pommie cricketers and reporters fail to appreciate India is playing in England and will not be as adept to conditions as England are at home. Similarly when England visit India they talk a lot about the different conditions prevailing in India. One test win couple of years ago the players deemed that to be equivalent to Ashes win. I think a credit is due for India having beaten England 1-0 in the test series and for only losing marginally in the ODI series against all odds.

We need to fill in a few missing links , that is all. Then we shall be a really good one-day team. I think this line-up will be a much more competitive one than the current one. Ganguly/Sehwag Sachin Karthik Dravid Yuvraj Uthappa/Karthik Dhoni Irfan Zaheer RPS Powar/Chawla That is not such a bad fielding unit either.

To become a consistently ODI unit, we need to fill in the following holes : 1. Rotate the strike more often at the top of the order (read Ganguly). 2. Convert more singles to twos in the middle overs (read Dravid, Gambhir, Uthappa). 3. Need the lower order to improve their batting (read Agarkar, Zaheer, Chawla, Powar, RP Singh). 4. Need to improve fielding (read almost entire team). 5. More wicket taking options in the middle overs. 6. Less bleeding of runs at the death.

To become a consistently ODI unit, we need to fill in the following holes : 1. Rotate the strike more often at the top of the order (read Ganguly). 2. Convert more singles to twos in the middle overs (read Dravid, Gambhir, Uthappa). 3. Need the lower order to improve their batting (read Agarkar, Zaheer, Chawla, Powar, RP Singh). 4. Need to improve fielding (read almost entire team). 5. More wicket taking options in the middle overs. 6. Less bleeding of runs at the death.
read nice try. :haha:

I would like to see the following team play for india Sehwag Sachin Raina Uthappa Dravid Yuvi Dhoni/KKD irfan/RP Zaheer Sreesanth chawla The key for me here is Irfan who has to find his form to come back as an all rounder for us. Raina is better than gambhir and/or kkd.. KKD can come for dhoni if the team wants a more technical bat(my feeling) Sreesanth too has a major role to play cuz aggy's dismal performances have left us short of a right handed seamer