We didn't lose, it was a tie, says Malik

zubinpepsi

http://www.cricketnext.com/news/we-didnt-lose-it-was-a-tie-says-malik/26927-13.html Durban: Pakistan skipper Shoaib Malik said that his team would like to believe that they were not on the losing side against India on Friday at Durban. For the Pakistan skipper and his team, the match ended in a a tie. He said "We are disappointed, but we don't believe that we lost the match. It was a tie." Malik also admitted that we was not clear if there would be any bowl out after both the teams had the same score at the end of the stipulated 20 overs. Pakistan needed one run off two balls, but could not convert the opportunity into a win. "When the match ended in a tie, only then we came to know that this (bowl out) would happen. I just told my bowlers not to take pressure and try and hit the wickets but they were not successful," Malik said. Pakistan lost out in the bowl out 3-0 after none of the three Pakistan bowlers managed to hit the stumps while the Indian trio of Sehwag, Harbhajan and Uthappa were bang on target. However, Malik did not blame his teammates for the loss. "My team gave 100 per cent. And we didn't lose it on the field, we lost it on bowl out" said Malik. But the Pakistan skipper was a bit disappointed on not being able to break the World Cup jinx against India. "Any loss against India hurts, but we will take lessons from this game,†he said ------------------- when is the pakistan team gonna know the rules of the game? its sad thttheir captains (past n present) unaware of wat the rules are... Malik says at the beginning that they dint loose and it was a tie but at the end he says any loss against India hurts... so wats he saying? was it a tie r not?:questionmark:

I dont get it and it does not make sense. Why should it be recorded as a tie? If you are going to use the bowl out , then the team that wins it should win the match as well. Now imagine if this was the world cup final, then what would it say in the record books? Match tied ?? But the bowl out was "only" used to decide who wins the cup?? Quite lame!

i admire PCB, they always manage to select an idiot as captain. On one hand you have Dhoni first time captain with a temp coach with not much 20/20 experience talking about how they practiced it in nets and how rohit sharma had 100% record yet pak captain who has played some 20/20 also had 2-3 free months, they had a camp to prepare for this tournament have a pro coach yet claiming he didnt know the rule. You Idiot if you didnt know the rule then you deserve to lose and you want to call it a tie go ahead do that but everyone knows you lost the bowl out.

Look at the Law you quoted. It says "In the event of a tied match" - that means in official records it will be a tie. look at cr@pinfo scorecard, it says match is tied on top and then at the bottom you will see india won the bowl-out. also the points table shows it as a tie and not as a win for india. from cr@pinfo:

[FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]P   W   L  T  NR    %  HS  LS  MC  LC BatAv BowAv R/6b C/6b

overall                3   1   0  1   1  75% 141 141 141 126  20.6  16.6 6.72 6.67
[/FONT]

Pakistan needed one run off two balls, but could not convert the opportunity into a win. "When the match ended in a tie, only then we came to know that this (bowl out) would happen. I just told my bowlers not to take pressure and try and hit the wickets but they were not successful,"
Typical brain-dead Pakistani captain. These guys are so under prepared for key competitions, its almost a farce. I'd blame Lawson for not educating Pakistan about the bowl outs and not helping them prepare for the same Contrast that with Dhoni. His first ever game as captain, playing his biggest opponent in a world cup. He does not have a head coach to share the burden of captaincy with. Yet he prepared his bowlers for this bowl out, in the nets. He knew exactly the kinda bowlers who are capable of hitting the sticks. Plus his captaincy defending a low total was phenomenal. We've gotta real leadership material here. Augurs well for Indian cricket
Plus his captaincy defending a low total was phenomenal. We've gotta real leadership material here. Augurs well for Indian cricket
Just caught the highlights but I agree he did a good job. I liked the field settings he employed for Pathan and Harbhajan in the middle overs. To their credit the two bowled to the field too. The only problem is if he is a good enough batsman to command a spot in the team, as expecting a wicketkeeper-batsman to captain in the long run sounds impractical.