Vettori accused Pak as cheaters

manali

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/worldtwenty20/2007/story/0,,2175029,00.html 'When we saw the way he celebrated we didn't think he was injured,' said the disgruntled Vettori. He was referring to Imran Nazir, the opener who top-scored with 59. Most of what was a fine knock, which included five sixes, was made with a runner. He called for assistance at the end of the second over after appearing to take a hard blow to a delicate region off Mark Gillespie. 'By the way he jumped into a team-mate's arms at the end, he didn't seem to have hurt his groin too much. We just don't play cricket like that,' Vettori added. 'As a team we're very disappointed.' Malik's response was short. 'He was struggling with his groin injury so needed a runner,' he said, understandably preferring to focus on victory.

i think vettori is having a hard time coming to terms with the ifs and the buts regarding their semi final defeat. pakistan was a comprehensively better team that day and deserved to win. as for this deal with runners, i think a measure must be included that says that a player requiring a runner must first be adjudicated so i.e. in need of assistance by a quick on the field examination by a neutral umpire, preferably one with a medical training. i.e. a neutral, icc appointed sports doctor who can run on the field, diagnose the player's conditions and either rule his fit enough to run on his own, fit enough to need a runner, or even, rule him out of the game for the time being or for the whole match depending on his injury and thus brining a substitute into the game. while runners in 20/20 are hardly a big deal considering the short duration of the match, in ODIs they can be quite a pleasant relief for the batsman (recall the 194 scored by saed anwar who used a runner for the last 120) and in test matches, can provide a quick break for a shower or replenishing drink in the shade and cool pavilion for a fast bowler (as was often exploited by aussies to give dennis lillee a break).