Some Indians misinterpreting aggression - Ponting

Feed

Ricky Ponting feels some of India's cricketers have 'misinterpreted what aggressive cricket means' during the ongoing one-day series. More... Verbal jousts continue Some Indians misinterpreting aggression - Ponting Cricinfo staff October 6, 2007 spacer.gif Ricky Ponting feels some of India's cricketers have "misinterpreted what aggressive cricket means" during the ongoing one-day series. His comments come in the wake of Mahendra Singh Dhoni's revelations about Australia's cricketers using "harsh words" in the third one-dayer in Hyderabad. "Both teams can still play aggressively, but when the Australian team speaks about playing aggressively I think a lot of people get the wrong idea," Ponting wrote in his column for the Australian newspaper. "I don't mean talking aggressively or showing aggressive body language. That's exactly the opposite of what aggressive or positive cricket is all about. A few of the Indians have reacted very much with aggressive body language and trying to force themselves upon us, and I think the way some of them are playing their cricket that they have also misinterpreted what aggressive cricket means. "I suppose if some of the players don't understand it, a lot of people watching the game in the stands or at home don't understand it either. It's not jumping up and down, sledging, giving people send-offs and that sort of stuff. When the Australian team talks about playing aggressively, we are committing ourselves to playing hard: there's nothing given and there's nothing asked to be given." Though the Hyderabad game was hardly as hot tempered as the match at Kochi, Dhoni, had enough to complain about. "We discussed with the referee about not using harsh words, but Ponting did, and a couple of their players did," Dhoni said after the game. He didn't reveal what exactly was said by the players, though. Ponting felt his team had stayed within the confines of the spirit of cricket. "Some years back the Australian team committed itself to uphold the spirit of cricket," he said. "A lot of the current players weren't involved, but every player who comes into the team is clearly briefed on the idea and given direction on what's acceptable and what's not. We treat it very seriously and nobody comes in without understanding what we expect. I think it's been a very positive thing if you look back at our recent history. It's something I'm proud of. I think we have been one of the least reported teams in the world." Ponting felt his side didn't indulge in sledging, a term he said was associated with "swearing" or "making a personal attack" on the opponents. "If you look at any sport, Australian football, soccer, anything, there is always some sort of dialogue between players, and I think that's part of sport at the highest level. But it's very important that every Australian cricketer understands what he can and cannot do. It is why we have the spirit of cricket concept. It was brought in so we would not have our blokes reported. We have our own set of rules that we can act on to keep things from getting out of hand."

I'm not surprised Ponting keeps rubbing it in all the time. Now he reckons he needs to teach Indians what aggression is. To be honest the Indian writers and fans give someone like Sreesanth or Bhajji so much hard time because they talk on the ground a bit too much I'm not surprised Ponting takes liberty to take a shot at Indian players all the time. Win or lose there is nothing wrong in playing the game hard and give some back to Aussies. They aren't saints and they should be reminded that every minute of the game not with standing how good they are in this sport. Just because Aussies are top class, that doesn't mean Indians should meekly accept any garbage and play with the calmness of Buddists. You don't have to keep winning to be able to stand up for yourself.

Ponting is speaking as though the Aussies have exclusive bragging rights over the art of sledging and wants to tutor people on how to do it. But to be fair to him though , the Aussies have only one way of playing cricket - The hard , in your face way. Its only the other teams that go through various stages of self-realization on how to be aggressive. Sreesanth has , inadvertantly , created quite a stir in the Indian team.

yes' date=' its like he is conducting teaching classes or seminars for our players over understanding aggression...![/quote'] Even after reading this sh!t, indian cricket players cant do jack about it. In their blood they got nothing like, Revenge. All they care is to become rich and richer, fckin arseholes.