Congrats ! India's FIRST ODI win over the Aussies in OVER 3 YEARS !

varun

In all honesty, Lara continued to walk till the very end of his career and perhaps that shows Lara's unbending will to not compromise his values well. I don't have a problem with people not walking when its an lbw or stumping or a diving catch. But Tendy should've walked yesterday- he knew for certain he nicked it and essentially cheated to stay on crease.

Guest HariSampath
Gilly is hardly a saint ... he was not a compulsive walker from the begining ... he started walking well after he was established .... sorry I aint buying that And Morality is not simply established by walking .. Gilly is the most cunning cricketer out there ... especially when behind the stumps .... He appeals for everything and anything ... I have seen him jump up and down when the ball was no where near the bat .... if there is anyone who has a better view of a caught behind scenario its the keeper ... and trust me he aint no saint. I do recognize the inherent superior nature of Gandhism but that theory has got some very severe flaws ... especially when tried against parties that dont comprehend the concept of shame ... If you want to see it in real ... I will preted to be an Aussie cricketer say Ponting or McGrath and you can try praching me Gandhism .... and i will give you my take .. Nope . Going by your theory SRT should never have been sawed as many times as he has been . Another good example is Lara. And also most Aussie batsmen should never have been benefitted with soo many lives practically every single match. Sorry the facts dont add up to what your hypothesis proclaims.
Gilly is a confirmed internationally known walker, in fact criticised by the NZ team in 2002/3 " If you walk Gilly, walk, but don't make a fcking crusade of it, it aint mean we all are cheats"....and also later." Gilly you trying to make umpires unemployed, mate ? " by his own teammates

y this issue of morality... we aint playing against saints n priests.. we r playing against the worst street rogues, gorillas, steroid monkeys.... so play like street smarts n not like priests.. i think this is indian team appreciation thread and not sachin's morality thread... guys who have prob with him not walking away.. go n whinge ina corner.. be happy n cry horse when he ll b robbed off by the same umpires..which is gonna occur very soon.

Guest HariSampath
In all honesty, Lara continued to walk till the very end of his career and perhaps that shows Lara's unbending will to not compromise his values well. I don't have a problem with people not walking when its an lbw or stumping or a diving catch. But Tendy should've walked yesterday- he knew for certain he nicked it and essentially cheated to stay on crease.
Its also a matter of greats valuing the true contests I think that made some greats like Lara, Bradman, Richards etc walk.... yes, Viv too was one who had never stayed on knowing himself a confirmed out. Maybe its a personal pride thingwith some greats that influence cricketing actions... Viv's personal pride never allowed him to wear a helmet . Yes, LBWs, stumpings, line decisions, bumpballs boundary catches... all are times when you gotta stay, or even when you are doubtful whether or not you hit the ball, kits ok, and makes sense to wait... but clearly knowing a caught behind nick and a straight forward catch etc... I think its a case for a player like Sachin to have walked
Guest HariSampath
y this issue of morality... we aint playing against saints n priests.. we r playing against the worst street rogues, gorillas, steroid monkeys.... so play like street smarts n not like priests.. i think this is indian team appreciation thread and not sachin's morality thread... guys who have prob with him not walking away.. go n whinge ina corner.. be happy n cry horse when he ll b robbed off by the same umpires..which is gonna occur very soon.
So what if it is Idian appreciation thread ? Sachin is a part of the Indian team, we have won a match today , he had contributed 70 runs to that win, he was out 3 times, and by eveery known rule in my book this topic is relevant.... AND I certainly cannot appreciate good cricket by our team without criticising poor cricket... and that Sachin not walking is both relevant to the game topis as well as to the appreciation issue as I don't appreciate it. Period
Gilly is hardly a saint ... he was not a compulsive walker from the begining ... he started walking well after he was established .... sorry I aint buying that And Morality is not simply established by walking .. Gilly is the most cunning cricketer out there ... especially when behind the stumps .... He appeals for everything and anything ... I have seen him jump up and down when the ball was no where near the bat .... if there is anyone who has a better view of a caught behind scenario its the keeper ... and trust me he aint no saint. I do recognize the inherent superior nature of Gandhism but that theory has got some very severe flaws ... especially when tried against parties that dont comprehend the concept of shame ... If you want to see it in real ... I will preted to be an Aussie cricketer say Ponting or McGrath and you can try praching me Gandhism .... and i will give you my take .. Nope . Going by your theory SRT should never have been sawed as many times as he has been . Another good example is Lara. And also most Aussie batsmen should never have been benefitted with soo many lives practically every single match. Sorry the facts dont add up to what your hypothesis proclaims.
Saar, why do you have it keep bringing Gandhi/Gandhism in cricket discussion . You do that quite often. Totally unnecessary in my opinion , because you do it in unflattering way even though your point about Gilly and Don is a valid one, imo. Please avoid doing so.
So what if it is Idian appreciation thread ? Sachin is a part of the Indian team' date=' we have won a match today , he had contributed 70 runs to that win, he was out 3 times, and by eveery known rule in my book this topic is relevant.... AND I certainly cannot appreciate good cricket by our team without criticising poor cricket... and that Sachin not walking is both relevant to the game topis as well as to the appreciation issue as I don't appreciate it. Period[/quote'] then start a thread saying sachin is a cheat.. instead of whinging here in this appreciation thread.. cuz ur whinging has deviated frm the point in which this OP was created..
Guest HariSampath
Sure there are 2 ways of looking at it, and yours is one way. This is somewhat similar to the argument " the whole of the country is corrupt, I can't change the system and so I join them and don't mind making a million by taking bribes if given, who gives a damn, I am being street smart" This is one view, and another is " Despite the world being corrupt, I'd rather not cheat , but would slog on my workstation to make $70,000 a year, and not make dishonest money by any means as I have a sense of self respect and pride in myself".... You could go either way...its a personal choice.... and yes its a moral decision....and yes there are things called morals, and I do feel good when I am being honest and do feel louse when I know I am dishonest, its pureely selfish sense of feeling good after all.
Sure there are 2 ways of looking at it' date=' and yours is one way. This is somewhat similar to the argument " the whole of the country is corrupt, I can't change the system and so I join them and don't mind making a million by taking bribes if given, who gives a damn, I am being street smart" This is one view, and another is " Despite the world being corrupt, I'd rather not cheat , but would slog on my workstation to make $70,000 a year, and not make dishonest money by any means as I have a sense of self respect and pride in myself".... You could go either way...its a personal choice.... and yes its a moral decision....and yes there are things called morals, and I do feel good when I am being honest and do feel louse when I know I am dishonest, its pureely selfish sense of feeling good after all.[/quote'] yeah true.. for example i dont regret if i get a chance to rip off the filthy politicians.. but i do regret n feel bad if i cheated on poor n honest people but here we r talking abt icc and the aussies.. serves them rite...dont feel an iota of pity for them.. the big bullies need this
Guest HariSampath
Saar' date=' why do you have it keep bringing Gandhi/Gandhism in cricket discussion . You do that quite often. Totally unnecessary in my opinion , because you do it in unflattering way even though your point about Gilly and Don is a valid one, imo. Please avoid doing so.[/quote'] Look I feel strongly on the issue and it is NOT a separate issue or a sachin specific "cheating issue".... Just that I want to be able to tell my Ozzie friend Tony... " We had you there mate" instead of having to listen to " Hey mate... Indians weren't so great, the umpire worked out great today, didn't it ? "... Ok ? I don't want us to lose the next 20 games to Aus... so that everyone will later say for years " India's lone victory in 5 years came in that 2007 ODI series , the game in which Sachin was out 3 times and didn't walk after hitting the ball " That sucks bigtime for me, and I don't want folks to be able to say that about Sachin and India too
so that everyone will later say for years " India's lone victory in 5 years came in that 2007 ODI series ' date=' the game in which Sachin was out 3 times and didn't walk after hitting the ball " That sucks bigtime for me, and I don't want folks to be able to say that about Sachin and India too[/quote'] Ah don't worry about what folks say man.. We Won :D.. End of story. Lets look ahead to winning the rest now :eyedance:

IMO walkers are undermining their team's chances by walking despite the fact that the person on the field, who's job it is to decide whether you are out or not, rules in your favour. Romanticists might wax lyrical about the virtues of honesty but in a doggy dog world, cut throat competition between teams, billion dollar sport industry like cricket, billions of passionate fans craving for wins, I'd rather have players who don't give an inch and stand their ground than ones who 'throw in the towel'. One could almost say walking is not a selfless but a selfish act. One to the team's detriment.

Guest HariSampath
then start a thread saying sachin is a cheat.. instead of whinging here in this appreciation thread.. cuz ur whinging has deviated frm the point in which this OP was created..
What point was this thread created for ? to just dumbly agree with all nonsense in the name of appreciation.... then it will be an echo chamber with only your types...there are people who think differently, and if anything please debate healthily on valid points... mind you we are discussing cricket and ethics and winning and also cricketing and mental aspects of gaining or losing by taking ethical stands,,, not discussing Gandhism or political ideology. If you are saying " they are cheats so we too should cheat, they deserve no honesty", I could also liken it to issues like " we are oppressed and subjugated, so we turn terrorists" or " he is a thief so I steal" kind of Robin Hoodism..... but we are talking cricket , right ? so this discussion is certainly very relevant, and certainly very timely too, bcos if not today, when else will it be more relevant ?
Guest HariSampath
Hari , Any chance of me getting answers (with specifics and names minus the morality speak) to my questions ?
In this Aussie team, no, I don't know if anyone other than Gilly is a confirmed walker, if that was the Q. With ref to top sides always analysing games, hey that happens all the time. For example, if Aus had been exactly in our shoes today and benefited from such decisions to win, of course punter would be saying in the team meeting" all right mates.. we won this one, but no need to gloat, we sucked bigtime and Taufel did them in so we won, so better move your as**es and take a reality check cos if we play like this tomorrow don't count on Taufel to pull us thru again, I wanna see serious kickas cricket and we pound them without the umpirs and not squeak thru becos of the umpire" ALL top sides discuss only this way, and thats why they are top
Guest HariSampath
BTW Hari welcome to ICF. Introduce yourself in the introductions thread. :D
hey thnx, appreciate it...sure will int myself soon ( looks like I have got some profiling going against me annyways :wink_smile: