When Tendulkar flew in for a Single Match

Rajiv

Same old debate guys. Does SRT deserve a spot in the ODI team based on performance ? Yes Does he deserve a spot in the test team based on performance ? No Can SRT any longer win games for India on the big stage ? No I wrote a while back that SRT was a victim of his own mind. Rewind by a month and a half, SRT was playing an English attack that read Broad, James Anderson, Panesar, Tremlett. He roared like a lion, back then, putting each English bowler to the sword, laying a great foundation for a 300+ run chase. That was a match winning innings played by a man possessed, one who believed that demolition of the opponent bowlers was his sworn duty. ICF's most gifted writer, Dhondy, wrote back then, that Warney's comments had rekindled his faith, restored his pride, brought back his hunger and anger. Fast forward a month. We have the same man, looking like a rabbit caught under headlights against a bunch of no name Aussie bowlers. Does anyone really believe SRT plays with the belief that he can do it anymore against the Aussies ? IMO, the moment he senses the likes of Ponting, Hayden, Gilly & Symmo around him, he becomes an entirely diff batsman -- one that plays to survive than dominate, one that plays for a living than pride, one that plays to avoid humiliation than seek glory! This tells me that he does not have anymore fight left in him for tough battles. Those who witnessed the alacrity with which he walked away from the scene, without nicking that delivery from Shoaib in the 2nd test in 2006 would have sensed this coming. Sachin must ask himself. What am i playing for ? How do i want people to remember me ? With nothing more to prove and a big leacy to lose, SRT should simply call it quits in ODIs & focus on the more important battles in Tests, where he has been found wanting, to say the least!

Guest Hiten.
Same old debate guys. Does SRT deserve a spot in the ODI team based on performance ? Yes Does he deserve a spot in the test team based on performance ? No Can SRT any longer win games for India on the big stage ? No I wrote a while back that SRT was a victim of his own mind. Rewind by a month and a half, SRT was playing an English attack that read Broad, James Anderson, Panesar, Tremlett. He roared like a lion, back then, putting each English bowler to the sword, laying a great foundation for a 300+ run chase. That was a match winning innings played by a man possessed, one who believed that demolition of the opponent bowlers was his sworn duty. ICF's most gifted writer, Dhondy, wrote back then, that Warney's comments had rekindled his faith, restored his pride, brought back his hunger and anger. Fast forward a month. We have the same man, looking like a rabbit caught under headlights against a bunch of no name Aussie bowlers. Does anyone really believe SRT plays with the belief that he can do it anymore against the Aussies ? IMO, the moment he senses the likes of Ponting, Hayden, Gilly & Symmo around him, he becomes an entirely diff batsman -- one that plays to survive than dominate, one that plays for a living than pride, one that plays to avoid humiliation than seek glory! This tells me that he does not have anymore fight left in him for tough battles. Those who witnessed the alacrity with which he walked away from the scene, without nicking that delivery from Shoaib in the 2nd test in 2006 would have sensed this coming. Sachin must ask himself. What am i playing for ? How do i want people to remember me ? With nothing more to prove and a big leacy to lose, SRT should simply call it quits in ODIs & focus on the more important battles in Tests, where he has been found wanting, to say the least!
This is where people get it wrong. Do you guys really think that a man who appeared in almost 400 ODI's does not think about the role he should be playing in the team ? I mean he off course he has decided to play a sheet anchor's role in both the formats, and when he really thinks that its time to up the tempo he does it, doesn't it? Who are we to tell Sachin to retire from ODI's and concentrate on tests only ? Leave the man alone and let him play the way he is playing. I think he brings positive energy amongst his team mates whenever he's around in the dressing room.

Nice story. Here's another one. April 2000, right after India have been humiliated at home against South Africa under his captaincy. Ganguly takes the reigns for the ODIs, and there's a 3-2 win, but the critics have knives sharpened for Tendulkar who's taking a lot of heat for India's first home test series loss in god knows how many years. So he answers 'em in standard fashion. Flies down to Mumbai, says he will play in the semi-final against Tamil Nadu. TN make 485. Mumbai are 127/4, when Rajesh Pawar falls, but Tendulkar's there. From there he plays one of his greatest innings ever, first forging a partnership with Kambli and then Muzumdar. When Muzumdar goes, Mumbai are 391/6, and later 449/8 when Agarkar goes. Kuruvilla in and Saxena remaining. Tendulkar still there, playing a virtuoso innings, but the first innings lead seems out of reach . SRT adds 41 for the last two wickets (both other tailenders remaining scoreless). Mumbai finish with 490, Tendulkar unbeaten on 233 and more importantly, Mumbai get a first innings lead. From all reports of those at the game, Tendulkar's four that took Mumbai past TN led to one of the most emotional reactions from him that's ever been witnessed on a cricket field. Tamil Nadu were shattered from there, lost after a collapse and Mumbai made the finals which they went on to win.

Guest Hiten.
Nice story. Here's another one. April 2000, right after India have been humiliated at home against South Africa under his captaincy. Ganguly takes the reigns for the ODIs, and there's a 3-2 win, but the critics have knives sharpened for Tendulkar who's taking a lot of heat for India's first home test series loss in god knows how many years. So he answers 'em in standard fashion. Flies down to Mumbai, says he will play in the semi-final against Tamil Nadu. TN make 485. Mumbai are 127/4, when Rajesh Pawar falls, but Tendulkar's there. From there he plays one of his greatest innings ever, first forging a partnership with Kambli and then Muzumdar. When Muzumdar goes, Mumbai are 391/6, and later 449/8 when Agarkar goes. Kuruvilla in and Saxena remaining. Tendulkar still there, playing a virtuoso innings, but the first innings lead seems out of reach . SRT adds 41 for the last two wickets (both other tailenders remaining scoreless). Mumbai finish with 490, Tendulkar unbeaten on 233 and more importantly, Mumbai get a first innings lead. From all reports of those at the game, Tendulkar's four that took Mumbai past TN led to one of the most emotional reactions from him that's ever been witnessed on a cricket field. Tamil Nadu were shattered from there, lost after a collapse and Mumbai made the finals which they went on to win.
Rajeeev. Are you reading this ???? Can you please post the video of this inn if you have it ? I would love to watch Sachin's reactions after he hit that 4

If you're interested in reading more on that match, a couple of articles/topic on another board - http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2000/04/15/stories/07150283.htm http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/2000/04/14/stories/07140281.htm http://p207.ezboard.com/fthevictortrumpercricketboardfrm31.showMessage?topicID=193.topic I remember hearing about an interview some years ago when Tendulkar was asked what he rates as his personal best innings. He named this knock.

BTW, this commitment probably might have been picked up from an earlier mentor, or Bombay's own cricketing culture. I've read a few stories about Gavaskar's own commitment, not just to the Bombay Ranji side, but also to his club. I do recollect reading an interview somewhere where an older ex-player leading a club Gavaskar played for talked about his full devotion. SMG had apparently just arrived that evening from a tour to the West Indies. As soon as he got back, he phoned the club captain to let him know he would be available and playing for the side in their next game... the following morning. And heck, there are a lot of similar stories about how Gavaskar, Vengsarkar and Tendulkar as well would take pains to still play for their clubs/Kanga League teams when they could, despite their international calendar. Obviously with the media and obsession surrounding him in the last 10 years, it's been a lot more difficult for SRT now - but there still are stories from the early 90s about him turning up for the Kangas the moment his international commitments were over.

Those who witnessed the alacrity with which he walked away from the scene, without nicking that delivery from Shoaib in the 2nd test in 2006 would have sensed this coming.
Apparently, you did not witness it Bumper. Tendulkar did nick the ball, it just happened at the time when the ball touched the gloves his hand was off the bat by a few millimeters which if you have played any cricket no batsman would be able to tell and certainly not the umpire. Criticism is fine but fabricating lies to support a point is just a sign of frustration. BTW, did you also witness Gilchrist walking off after "nicking" a Mortaza(?) delivery in 2005 when the ball was a good foot away from his bat. Looks like he also lost it for tough battles afterwards.
Apparently' date=' you did not witness it Bumper. Tendulkar did nick the ball, it just happened at the time when the ball touched the gloves his hand was off the bat by a few millimeters which if you have played any cricket no batsman would be able to tell and certainly not the umpire. Criticism is fine but fabricating lies to support a point is just a sign of frustration. BTW, did you also witness Gilchrist walking off after "nicking" a Mortaza(?) delivery in 2005 when the ball was a good foot away from his bat. Looks like he also lost it for tough battles afterwards.[/quote'] Did the umpire give him out ? No. Is SRT a walker normally ? No. How do you interpret his gesture, then ?
Did the umpire give him out ? No. Is SRT a walker normally ? No. How do you interpret his gesture' date=' then ?[/quote'] Okay, now that we have got past your obfuscating the facts about whether he nicked it or not, try and watch the dismissal again, it was a pretty obvious and clear deflection and on such obvious and clear deflections I have even seen Miandad walk.
Okay' date=' now that we have got past your obfuscating the facts about whether he nicked it or not, try and watch the dismissal again, it was a pretty obvious and clear deflection and on such obvious and clear deflections I have even seen Miandad walk.[/quote'] Answer my qn. Is he a walker ? No Did the umpire give him out ? No Why did he walk then ? If instead of Akhtar, it were Eddo Brandes bowling and the opponent were Zimbabwe, would he have walked ?

Tendulkar is not a walker. He does not have to be (as many decisions go against him). Many a times i have witnessed Tendulkar not walk after blatant dismissals. Even yesterday he nicked one off Lee, did he walk ? For such a man, to walk in a hurry, away from the heat of the battle, when the umpire did not declare him out is ODD. I interpret that to mean, he cracked under pressure & chose to walk away

Bumper, what makes you think that umpire would have not given..it was bloody obvious...he walked..He does walk on obvious decision.. Did you see him walking yesterday when he was run out?? Don't tell me he did not want to bat any more?
:haha::haha::haha:, tell me you are joking Kabz. You cant be serious.
MM found the list ... time for some from eggy :hysterical: :D
Player            Mat    Inns    NO    Runs    Ave    BF    SR    100
ML Hayden         28    27    3    1526    63.58    1707    89.39    5
DPMD Jayawardene       30    29    2    1089    40.33    1313    82.93    2
SC Ganguly         25    23    2    1065    50.71    1467    72.59    0
PD Collingwood         31    30    6    1062    44.25    1368    77.63    2
IR Bell              31    31    1    1044    34.8    1416    73.72    1
RT Ponting         21    19    3    1038    64.87    1151    90.18    3
SR Tendulkar         25    24    2    1026    46.63    1230    83.41    1
Yuvraj Singh         28    25    4    993    47.28    1054    94.21    1
AB de Villiers         25    24    3    939    44.71    986    95.23    2
MJ Clarke         25    22    5    926    54.47    1119    82.75    1

Thanks for that BB Yea right , lets drop the standout batsman in one-dayers along with Yuvraj Singh from our team.