India battle with rotation issues

Gambit

This will be my one-day team from now on , with the players marked later to be rotated amongst themselves. Sehwag XXXXX-a XXXXX-b Yuvraj Uthappa Dhoni Yousuf Irfan RPS Bhajji XXXXX-c XXXXX-a will be Sachin or Ganguly or maybe Sachin alone if he is playing too well to be kept out XXXXX-b will be between Dravid , Ganguly and Karthik. I havent given up on Karthik yet. I think he can a busy useful one-day cricketer and he has won one-dayers for us before XXXXX-c - Will be among Zaheer , Sreesanth and Munaf I think this is a good team. Its average age ( Considering we are playing 2/3 oldies) will be around 27. It has 5 bowlers , bats upto no.8 . The batting is also well spread , with firepower at the top , decent solidity in the middle and muscle again in the lower order. Once the this rotation of formula has been there for a while , i would like the big-3 to completely hang up their boots in 12-15 months Then , our one-day will probably look like this, Sehwag Gambhir Karthik Yuvraj Uthappa Dhoni Yousuf Irfan RPS Zaheer Bhajji It is young , but i fear a bit for the batting.

Rotation of a player might not that easy as we think, especially when the team is losing. And MM, Gambhir and Uthappa are sitting duck with their flawed techniques. I'd rather groom Rohit Sharma instead of Uthappa and wait for Badri to come good. I still have not seen how he deals with the short pitch stuff. Sachin, Rahul and Ganguly each should not play more than 50% of the total ODIs played by India. With that poor domestic system, we have no option other than grooming the younger players at international level, after testing them on A tours. And it is extremely necessary to have a pool of 5 pace bowlers out of whom 3 play at one time. Otherwise soon, there will be burn outs and injuries!

Rotation of a player might not that easy as we think, especially when the team is losing. And MM, Gambhir and Uthappa are sitting duck with their flawed techniques. I'd rather groom Rohit Sharma instead of Uthappa and wait for Badri to come good. I still have not seen how he deals with the short pitch stuff. Sachin, Rahul and Ganguly each should not play more than 50% of the total ODIs played by India. With that poor domestic system, we have no option other than grooming the younger players at international level, after testing them on A tours. And it is extremely necessary to have a pool of 5 pace bowlers out of whom 3 play at one time. Otherwise soon, there will be burn outs and injuries!
The above is very important. But how do we achieve this short of getting back good-for-nothing VRV-Singh-types!? Leave out Irfan Pathan - he is not a "fast bowler" 1. RP Singh 2. SS 3. ZK 4. ?? 5. ?? Munaf Patel, Ranadeb Bose, Ishant Sharma, all so so...am I missing other names?
We sure have to use Agarkar in the mix. And why would you leave out Pathan? Why is he not a pace bowler? ZK SS RPS IP MP AA Not a bad list of bowlers to begin with. MP will have to improve his fitness first.
I just dont feel comfortable putting a slow medium bowler like Irfan Pathan in the above mix. He will be in the 11 as an allrounder - and that is fine - allrounder place belongs to him currently, but not as a fast bowler. I dont have much confidence in AA or MP...but whatever, thats what we have as bench strength. So, yes - your list above is the list.
Problem is that Pathan cannot be rotated without changing the team balance. And I was kidding about Agarkar, he should be exiled.
Thing about Pathan is true Shwetabh. But that doesn't mean we should risk another burn-out as in Oct 2004. The selection commitee has to handle the players very carefully. And you just can't throw Agarkar away from the mix. That'll only reduce our pool and hurt us more badly that playing Agarkar ever will.

So what forced the selectors to abandon the idea of rotation among these three batsmen as was the plan originally? Was it the result, which were expected, or was it the lack of performance from the newbies who are yet to show that they can build a good partnership at the top order against the Australian bowlers??

Here is a nice article from Peter Roebuck who thinks that India has to rethink their ODI strategy and have to build the team accordingly around two or three building blocks, because this is the only format in which India has been unsuccessful recently. It is not always possible to have the best of both worlds India must rethink its fifty-over team. At present the side is trapped midway between the Test line-up and the T20 outfit. Trying to combine the experience of the established Test batsmen and the dash of the twenty over fellows has not worked. It was an understandable strategy to adopt because India has been successful in both arenas. Indeed, in recent times, the side has failed only in the ODIs, suffering early elimination in this year’s World Cup and being run ragged in England. Doubtless, the selectors thought they could add fresh legs and youthful enterprise to the seasoning and sagacity of the seniors. Alas it is not always possible to have the best of both worlds. The result has been not so much a well balanced side as a mishmash. Repeated failures with the bat have told the tale. Certainly the Australians have bowled well but the collapses indicate not so much faulty technique as a lack of conviction. India does not know itself. During T20 the team had a theme. Now it is lost in a fog of introspection. As much can be told from the excesses of the younger brigade and the frailties of the elders. Headstrong conduct, run outs, poor shot selection and uninspired fielding point towards uncertainty. Far from blending the old and new, India is torn between them. Nor has the ODI crown sat easily on Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s head. But then his task has become more difficult. During the T20 campaign he was in charge of a team of peers and was able to put his imprint upon them. Under his benevolent yet committed leadership India played a gay game, taking risks, laughing, relaxing. Now he finds himself asked to direct older players and therefore to make a cultural leap in a land where elders are respected. He is surrounded by former captains and rather than following his instincts may find himself seeking counsel, pondering upon every move. No matter that the past captains offer unstinting support, still the newcomer may seek approval. Sreesanth has also lost his path. Perhaps he is responding in his own way to the confusion in the camp. Is it Dhoni’s team? Or Sourav’s? Or Sachin’s? 2007101359432101.jpgBUILDING BLOCKS: The future of Indian ODI cricket must be built around men like Mahendra Singh Dhoni (right) and S. Sreesanth. A few weeks ago, Rahul Dravid was captain. Who will take the team to Australia? Will the T20 and T50 sides be the same, or is India to have three distinct teams? That way madness lies. Young cricketers of high spirit need constant and consistent leadership. Strong relationships are important to them. Who is to pat them on the back? Who is to upbraid them? Decisions must now be taken. Responses will vary but the current disarray is more damaging than any of them. The power vacuum must be ended. The options Fortunately, the choices can be narrowed. Either put Sachin Tendulkar in charge of everything. Or ask Anil Kumble to serve as Test captain and allow his gloveman to lead young T20 and ODI outfits. Regardless, changes must be made to the fifty-over side. The time has come to thank the senior players for services rendered and to tell them that hereafter they will be considered only for Test matches. No longer can India afford to give away thirty runs a game with poor fielding and slow running between wickets. The selectors must also stop choosing inadequate second spinners and instead give more chances to T20 players. Dhoni, Sreesanth and company are not the problem. They are the solution, and with a little help from Sachin and, yes, Sehwag, the future must be built around them. ------------------------------------------------------- I think the selectors are also thinking on the same line apart from the fact that Sehwag is myteriously absent from their selections!