Hindu religion rockz

Cricketics

find fasting a bit of a hogwash , both the ramzan and Navaratri one ...cos if you are fasting , dont eat atall . else i dont know who you fooling here . I have colleagues who do this every week on a particular day , think Tuesdays...& the whole day you see them munching on Upwas biscuits , upwas chaknas & what not . same with Muslims , you hog before 5am in the morning & again after 12 hrs ..its not exactly called fasting . the gods must be really crazy to ask us do this .
I don't think many do fasting for Navratris,just keeping a vegetarian diet for 9 days.Obviously not as strong as fasting,still controlling some temptation.

same with Muslims , you hog before 5am in the morning & again after 12 hrs ..its not exactly called fasting . the gods must be really crazy to ask us do this .
Ramadan is about a little more than just fasting- more prayer and god conciousness is a big part. W.r.t the actual fasting itself, the reasons behind are broadly- To make the faster a bit more thankful for the food etc, blessings we recieve daily and take for granted; its supposed to bring about compassion and empathy for the poor Sexual intercourse is also forbidden while fasting- so along with the non eating part basically means that youre controlling instinctive desires and ideally gaining a sense of ascetism in the process I agree that many muslims may not practice it well- like you say too much focus on eating in the non fasting hours. But the reason why God asks us to do it were the above- also (as any religion would tell you) God is inifnitely wise and we cannot really comprehend a lot of the rationale behind his commands, beyond us, you could say. So a final, simple reason why we fast is because God commandeth it. :--D