Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

maniac

These people were in India and not US and US evacuated them from India.There is no rule where you can blatantly fly citizens of anotyer country out of that country with disregards to its local laws.Thats how US plays isnt it. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
Huh? The maid's family applies for visa and US accepts it. The maid's family flew out of their own volition. The US assisted them - thoda anti US propaganda zyaada ho raha hai. US is not right all the time and they are f**** morons in many case but in case of this maid - they have the right to grant them visa if the maid's family wants to fly out of the country.

Huh? The maid's family applies for visa and US accepts it. The maid's family flew out of their own volition. The US assisted them - thoda anti US propaganda zyaada ho raha hai. US is not right all the time and they are f**** morons in many case but in case of this maid - they have the right to grant them visa if the maid's family wants to fly out of the country.
Granting Visas and Evacuation at the cost of US govt are two different things.Secondly India had intimated US about these people and their possible tries to immigrate to US to avoid Indian laws. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

So you are OK with US flying out people from India who are involved in a criminal complaint and are subject to the jurisdiction of Indian justice system. There was a complaint against the husband that he was blackmailing Khobragade. US knew this and still flew the husband out of the country. Can you imagine the hue and cry if India decides (for example) to grant Edward Snowden asylum ? Will the US simply say that India has the right to grant anyone asylum and keep quiet ?

So you are OK with US flying out people from India who are involved in a criminal complaint and are subject to the jurisdiction of Indian justice system. There was a complaint against the husband that he was blackmailing Khobragade. US knew this and still flew the husband out of the country. Can you imagine the hue and cry if India decides (for example) to grant Edward Snowden asylum ? Will the US simply say that India has the right to grant anyone asylum and keep quiet ?
The MEA has asked the same question today in its statement.This is going to be stormy and Preet Bharara has added more fuel to fire today. Not to forget that those people were Indian citizens not US. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

I am amused at the uncle tom Bharara's response that Devyani Khobragade was served coffee ... the nerve of this guy. Someone should read out to him the VCCR which says that a consular officer shall not be arrested pending trial unless it is a grave crime. This supposed underpaying of a maid is by no means of imagination a grave crime warranting arrest, strip search and cavity search.

How exactly did US fly out the maid ? Airport officials so rahe the ? If GOI cancelled her passport' date=' how did she even leave India ?[/quote']US flew out the husband and daughter of of the maid on a T-1 visa. How this remained hidden from Indian authorities is befuddling.

From what I understand - the criminal complaint by India was against the maid, not the family. The family was flown to the US to avoid persecution and the family flew out of their own volition. The family has no criminal charges against them. The maid has been in the US since June. I am not against India asking for the maid to be deported back to India. All I wanted to say was that the family was flown to the US out of their own volition.

From what I understand - the criminal complaint by India was against the maid' date=' not the family. The family was flown to the US to avoid persecution and the family flew out of their own volition. The family has no criminal charges against them. The maid has been in the US since June.[/quote']There was an FIR against the Richard family. The US was in the know of all these facts. There was a court case going on in the Delhi High Court for which final hearing was scheduled. It is absolutely clear the US has facilitated the evasion of Indian law by the Richards family, husband included.

From what I understand - the criminal complaint by India was against the maid, not the family. The family was flown to the US to avoid persecution and the family flew out of their own volition. The family has no criminal charges against them. The maid has been in the US since June. I am not against India asking for the maid to be deported back to India. All I wanted to say was that the family was flown to the US out of their own volition.
Avoid prosecution of a citizen in his own country.Wow.New laws being laid by the US here.You dont interfere in affairs of how a country is prosecuting its citizens esp not a democratic country like India. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

There was an FIR against the Richard family. The US was in the know of all these facts. There was a court case going on in the Delhi High Court for which final hearing was scheduled. It is absolutely clear the US has facilitated the evasion of Indian law by the Richards family, husband included.
Of course the US knew of Sangeeta Richards case since June. Here's the official Indian embassy statement - https://www.indianembassy.org/press_detail.php?nid=1990 It makes no mention of any FIR to Richards family.

There was an FIR against the Richard family. The US was in the know of all these facts. There was a court case going on in the Delhi High Court for which final hearing was scheduled. It is absolutely clear the US has facilitated the evasion of Indian law by the Richards family, husband included.
India needs to file a case againist the US consulate from where the Visa was issued.This is a sovereign country not US playground. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2

Avoid prosecution of a citizen in his own country.Wow.New laws being laid by the US here.You dont interfere in affairs of how a country is prosecuting its citizens esp not a democratic country like India. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
:WTF: If there's a case against Sangeeta Richards, why should the US not issue visas to her family? Kuch bhi!

I am amused at the uncle tom Bharara's response that Devyani Khobragade was served coffee ... the nerve of this guy. Someone should read out to him the VCCR which says that a consular officer shall not be arrested pending trial unless it is a grave crime. This supposed underpaying of a maid is by no means of imagination a grave crime warranting arrest, strip search and cavity search.
That may be their justification -
Article 41 of the 1963 Vienna Convention on Consular Relations ("VCCR") provides that "Consular officers shall not be liable to arrest or detention pending trial, except in the case of a grave crime and pursuant to a decision by a competent judicial authority." "A `grave crime' has been interpreted by the Department of State to mean a felony." U.S. v. Cole, 717 F.Supp. 309, 323 n. 5 (E.D.Pa. 1989) (holding that Yugoslavian consul-general was not entitled to consular immunity from money laundering charges because money-laundering constituted a "grave offense") (citing S.Exec.Rep. No. 91-9, 91st Cong., 1st Sess. at 14 (1969))
It's a felony under 18 USC § 1028.

Did you even read what Seedhi posted?There is a case againist her husband also and Delhi High Court is hearing the matter. Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 2
Did you read what I posted from the official Indian embassy website? There is no mention of any FIR against Richards family. Daily Mail is a well known sensationalist website - take it with a pinch of salt.

so the richard's family was granted asylum in usa? Does this sort of action happen between friendly countries, like usa granting asylum to people from a friendly European nation? So many indian households have this problem of badly paid and badly treated servants. We should be solving this problem on our own. Our social inequality is too widespread a problem for us indians to give in to usa on this case, even if we are in the wrong in this particular case. We cannot let them provide international legitimacy to a real problem we indians face. Our diplomats should be extra careful in the future. It may sound like i am not making much sense, but this is what i feel.