Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

maniac

That was the money paid in India. How do you know that the rest of the amount was not paid in the US to her in cash ?
Because Devyani has been vociferously arguing that the second contract she signed was legally binding and therefore, she has paid as said in the second contract. She even made electronic receipts available for it. Devyani has never argued that she paid more than 30,000 p.m. The A3 visa application form clearly states that receipts are to be made on payment and the only receipts are the electronic ones. It is the second contract based on which an injunction was sought against Richards in Delhi HC. The first contract wasn't even produced as a document. Basically, Devyani has been caught in a catch-22 situation.

And why should Richards look to 'survive' when the prevailing wage of other maids in the area is many times more than $500 a month. And you are kidding yourself if you think she was working only a 40 hour week.
The argument about "Richards survivability" is a red herring. Why? The min. wage in NY is $8/hour but she was paid $3/hour. Moreover, according to the A3 vis application she was supposed to pay wages bi-weekly but she paid monthly. I once again repeat that the A3 visa application form clearly says no deductions should be made for housing, logistics, medical etc.

BTW, the indictment is pretty damning. Not sure if it has already been posted, here it is: http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/documents/world/us-v-devyani-khobragade-indictment/739/ 1. She had the maid submit contract with visa app which contained obvious lies, contradicting what she and the maid has agreed to prior and what the maid would get in reality 2. Did not allow the maid to return back to India when she was no longer interested in continuing with the low paid/long hours job Even if the first offense is pardonable, second IMO is not. When a person is no longer interested, you can't force them to continue. That is violation of basic rights.
Second point is a lie.The Indian Embassy and DK herself asked NYPD to find the maid and deport her as she had run away and her passport had been revoked.

And thats the truth because the maid said so?The maid wanted to stay in US and earn money.She goes to an NGO and a high flying DA who wanted another medal on his CV.Deal done.
:facepalm: You said that the 2nd point was a lie because the maid ran away and DK out of her "oh so noble intentions" had to file a FIR with NYPD. I just countered that saying that indictment doesn't refer to the period after the maid ran away but before she ran away (February, June). Read on an issue if you feel you are so much concerned just don't keep on peddling lies.

Because Devyani has been vociferously arguing that the second contract she signed was legally binding and therefore' date= she has paid as said in the second contract. She even made electronic receipts available for it. Devyani has never argued that she paid more than 30,000 p.m. The A3 visa application form clearly states that receipts are to be made on payment and the only receipts are the electronic ones. It is the second contract based on which an injunction was sought against Richards in Delhi HC. The first contract wasn't even produced as a document. Basically, Devyani has been caught in a catch-22 situation. As I said, let us not take the maid's version at face value.
Devyani has been completely silent about this. I heard her father saying on TV that the rest of the minimum wage amount (minus Rs30,000 pm) was paid to the maid in US. Her lawyer has also said so:

That's an interesting take. I look forward to seeing the proof of these payments as Devyani has filed a case to exempt her from visa fraud in the US.
Untill then , I am gonna tilt towards the version that wo kutiya apne umreekan pati aur pillon se exploit karwane ke liye India se maid le gayi. Phir action ke signals milne pe yahan ke courts aur govt. ko involve kiya, bina jurisdiction ke Delhi HC se orders pass karwae. phir justifiably arrest hone pe India ki janta se apne selfish interests ke liye nationalist aur emotional reaction draw karwaya Not worthy of representing India , not worthy of sympathy and precious time of seedhi n others.

I was going through the indictment filed by Bharara (available here along with the exhibits : http://www.justice.gov/usao/nys/pressreleases/January14/KhobragadeIndictment.php). This indictment is a joke. Firstly, as I have earlier said, it alleges that the personal passport of the maid was confiscated by Devyani which is totally false as it is taken into possession by the GoI when the official passport is issued and returned when the official passport is returned after the trip. Secondly, and very interestingly, page 7 of the indictment claims that on the visa application (i.e. the DS-160 form), an amount of $4500 pm was entered as the maid's salary. However, the exhibits furnished by Bharara's office do not contain the DS-160 form which allegedly contains this entry. Devyani's lawyer has claimed that the amount of $4500 reflected Devyani's salary and was misread by the prosecutor to mean the maid's salary. I think he is right, since the exhibits provided by Bharara do not contain this mysterious $4500 figure anywhere.

Kutiya should be thankful that she isnt rotting in american jail right now and is not yet indicted for Adharsh society flat. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-12-21/india/45443474_1_adarsh-society-adarsh-flat-devyani-khobragade
She is a habitual liar. In the Adarsh society scam, she was able to call upon Daddy's connections to clean up the boo boo she made. Not so lucky in the US. But than again, if you have Salman Kurshid as the Minister for External Affairs - the same Salman Kurshid who stole funds set aside to help needy children - not hard to see why crooks like DK get to represent India as consulate officials.

So who was in possession of her official passport while she was serving as a maid?
The maid was in possession of her official passport. Even Bharara's indictment admits that the maid took her official passport with her when she went AWOL from Devyani's place. If the maid was so keen to return to India she could have hopped on to the first plane back using her official passport. It is a complete lie that she was not allowed to return back to India. The indictment further claims that the personal (regular) passport was confiscated by Devyani. As I said, this is another total lie. A two minute inquiry would have ascertained that the personal passport always remains with the government of India when the official passport is issued and is returned only after the person is back in India. The maid wanted her personal passport in US without returning to India which was not possible. This indictment is utterly fraudulent and a joke.

Most Latinos in the US probably have no idea this event occured at all. This is not a major news story in American media let alone Spanish-American media which is where most latinos get their news from.
If the case hadn't blown up in their faces, it would have been a bigger news.