Horse Racing Thread

Austin 3:!6

Any Gambler around? Though the notion (mostly in India) of labelling horse racing as a gambling sport, I must admit that I love racing for my love of horses and not because of money. I am a frequent visitor to racecourses from 2006 and been to many centres in India and abroad. Horse racing in India is still not considered as a major sport but it is very popular in metros like Mumbai, Bangalore & Pune. This thread is dedicated to all horse racing events in India and in International calender. You can tip horses, suggestions and discuss the various aspects. For the beginners, below is the brief description on Indian horse racing.

1. There are six major & three small racing centres in India.
  2. Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Kolkata & Mysore are big centres while Delhi, Chennai & Ooty are the smaller ones. Racing happens throughout the year in the country with the biggest season being the Mumbai season which runs from November to April.
  3. Each centre has the following big races (which are known as classics) - 1000 gunieas, 2000 gunieas, Oaks, Derby & St. Ledger with Derby being the greatest.
  4. Only Indian horses are allowed to participate and we have not yet opened the doors for International horses, however Foreign jockeys are allowed to ride horses in India.
  5. The richest race in India is 'Indian Derby' runs in the 1st week of Feb in Mumbai. This race is sponsored by Dr. Vijay Mallya and attracts massive crowd. The most prestigious race is the Invitation cup where champion horses from all the centres are invited to participate in the carnival.

Racing Calender January - Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mysore (off season) February - Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Mysore (off season) Chennai & Delhi March - Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Chennai April - Mumbai, Ooty May - Mumbai, Bangalore June - Bangalore July - Bangalore, Hyderabad August - Pune, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata September - Pune, Mysore (Main), Hyderabad, Kolkata October - Pune, Mysore (Main), Hyderabad, Kolkata November - Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad December - Mumbai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mysore (off season) news98.jpg