BBC Documentary : China vs India

varun

When was this aired? Some economists favour India due to its openess, democracy, freedom of business, etc. These things may not look as impressive as high speed trains, but are arguably more imporant. Because China is still very much a bad atmosphere for free business, despite all that stuff about it being 'communist in name only'. India produces more per dollar of investment than China. Appearances can be deceptive.

When was this aired?
I am not 100% sure on when it was aired first, but i do remember seeing this very same documentary atleast 1.5 yrs ago. I don't think i am the guy who keeps 'right on top' of news in business sector(not my field, not very interested in it either) so i'd hazard a guess that this program is 2 yrs old or so.

watch out for the consumer backlash resulting from diminishing quality of products.
THX, you seem to be quite well educated on these type of topics, so let me ask you this question, which has bugged myself for a long time: While it is very good news that by the millions, Indians are lifting themselves out of poverty & ignorance, most of the work is due to opening up of the economy to foreign investments & following the corporate capitalist model. How do we sustain this growth or how do we sustain India at full potential ? If say the benchmark of living standards is the western nations/scandinavian nations (which i consider to be amongst by far the best places in this world to live in) , then how does India sustain this lifestyle with 1 billion + ( say 1.5 billion, which is what it is expected to plateau out by the next 50 yrs or so) while remaining india ? Already, some of the greatest national icons and integral fabrics of our culture are threatened with the ongoing mass extinction of Indian creatures. The Bengal tiger is critically endangered, the Asiatic Lion is critically endangered and even a creature as fundamental to our culture & civilization- the Asian Elephant- is also endangered ! India, the once tropical paradise, is turning into a forest-less smog-infested cityscape with the countryside turning into one gigantic farm-belt. only the rough terrains of central India and the Himalayas are heavily forested & even the Himalayan forestry is critically threatened by slash-n-burn activities as well as growing demands due to population pressure. In such a country, where the environment is hovering on the brink of disaster, how on earth do we successfully gun for a lifestyle that gives the individual even more resources per capita than now ( thus putting a greater strain on India) along with a population that will hit/is expected to stay around 1.5 billion ? Make no mistake, i am not seeking an idiological argument/discussion and neither do i want to see any of the 'typical commie response' type of knee-jerk nonsense. I am concerned about the feasability of the situation and genuinely baffled at how India can continue its rise and not irreparably kill off what makes India so special- a civilization that is incredibly diverse not just in culture & customs, but also in landscape, vegitation and animal life- all of which play fundamentally important part in making India what it is today. PS: While this question is a query to THX, i'd invite anyone to address this concern of mine. For the biggest flaw in the picture i see now is that it is not a sustainable equation. Any equation that isn't sustainable is subject to crashing/failing in the future. So if this model is headed for a system crash due to unsustainability, then we'd be even more bolloxed 150 yrs from now, as not only would a system crash mean 'back to poverty', we'd have killed off the Indian countryside which makes this land so teeming with life & the riches that life has to offer.