Badminton Player - Syed Modi (you can move to Other Sports after couple of days)

fineleg

Badminton Player - Syed Modi <> Syed_Modi.jpg Syed Modi, 8 times National Badminton Champion Syed Modi (1962-1988) was eight times National Badminton champion of India. He was found murdered by unidentified assailants on July 23, 1988 in Lucknow as he came out of the KD Babu Stadium after a practise session. [edit] Murder Conspiracy Syed Modi was coming after a routine practise session from the KD Babu Stadium in Lucknow on 23rd July,1988 when un-identified assailants shot him from close range. Two days after the murder the CBI took over investigations of the case from the Uttar Pradesh Police and started investigations on the alleged "Love-Triangle" involving Syed Modi, his wife Mrs. Ameeta Modi(a former Maharashtra badminton player) and former UP Transport Minister and Jan Morcha leader,Dr.Sanjay Singh. The CBI raided the residence of Dr.Singh and Mrs.Modi and is said to have got a personal diary that gave description of the alleged "affair" between Dr.Singh and Mrs. Modi from her residence. Mrs. Ameeta Modi was arrested 2 days after the murder but was released on bail on August 26th.On September 3rd, Dr.Sanjay Singh was arrested under Section 302 of the Indian Penal Code as the chief conspirator. Five others were arrested which included Akhilesh Singh, Amar Bahadur Singh, Bhagwati Singhy, Jitendra Singh, and Balai Singh. While Akhilesh is alleged to have hired the killers, Amar Bahadur Singh, Bhagwati Singhy and Jitendra Singh were charged with driving the getaway vehicle. The Lucknow District and Sessions court released Dr.Singh against a bail of Rs.10,000 on the basis of lack of evidence connecting him to the murder of Mr.Modi. What conspired next was history. Mrs Ameeta Modi married Dr.Sanjay Singh a few months later. Syed Modi was born and brought up in a small town Sardar Nagar situated 5 kilometers from Chauri Chaura, the famous historical town. He worked with N E Railway in Gorakhpur and travelled daily between Gorakhpur and Sardar Nagar by local train. More abour Sardar Nagar and Syed Modi can be read at Sardar Nagar [edit] External Links The Hindustan Times News Article. http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/specials/proj_tabloid/photofeature191202.shtml

I was doing a bit of 'research' on Deepika Padukone :P - her dad and modi were super champions, as i read more, happened to come across this and posted.
So , essentially the wife finished off her husband , with some help from the politico lover. :confused_smile:

So ' date=' essentially the wife finished off her husband , with some help from the politico lover. :confused_smile:[/quote'] And then wifey and lover politico "marry few months later" and live happily ever after!? Mockery of the justice system :angry_smile: A champion brutally murdered and no recourse to justice!

And then wifey and lover politico "marry few months later" and live happily ever after!? Mockery of the justice system :angry_smile: A champion brutally murdered and no recourse to justice!
Whatever makes them happy i guess.. :haha:

I guess this murder was 'low affair' because he was a badminton player and not a cricketer. If there had to be cricket player involved in some kind of murder media would have ga-ga'ed abt it forever and ever... its really a sad and pathetic story

never even heard of this story.
I guess thats the sad part. Syed Modi is a 8-times national champion! As someone said above, if this was a national cricketer, justice may have been served. This sorta things go unnoticed, I suppose, if you are not a 'celebrity'

never even heard of this story.
You kidding me Yoda? It was a National news and frankly I am surprised that many here have not heard of it. Syed Modi was a fantastic badminton player and he would beat the top dog at the time - Prakash Padukone, rather easily. If I am not mistaken his best in Asian Games was Quarter finals where he lost to eventual finalists. Of course Modi was 8 times national champion, at a time when Padukone was playing as well. The murder had caused quite a stir and was well-covered. The politician Sanjay Singh was widely chastised in the media, as also Amita Modi. However the case did not rule them as criminals and so whatever we say today is speculation at worst. Whether it was a fault of Judiciary or Investigative process who knows? What I can certainly say is that the media certainly covered it pretty well. xxx

The guy was shot about a kilometer away from my school in Lucknow. It was a major incident.
Lucknow has a bit of history when it comes to high calibre Sportsmen meeting their demise rather early. One of India's greatest sportsman(and the ONLY person who was decalred best hockey player in World and Asia) KD Singh Babu committed suicide if Lucknow too. There is a hockey stadium in his name in Lucknow. Brilliant sportsman he was KD Singh Babu, shame 99.99% Indians dont know about him. xxx

Lucknow has a bit of history when it comes to high calibre Sportsmen meeting their demise rather early. One of India's greatest sportsman(and the ONLY person who was decalred best hockey player in World and Asia) KD Singh Babu committed suicide if Lucknow too. There is a hockey stadium in his name in Lucknow. Brilliant sportsman he was KD Singh Babu, shame 99.99% Indians dont know about him. xxx
I don't know if a couple of incidents can count as having "bit of history", but yeah KD Singh Babu did commit suicide in Lucknow. In fact, Syed Modi was shot when he was coming out of the KD Singh Babu stadium after practice. KD Singh Babu stadium is an all purpose stadium, not just hockey. The Ranji and international cricket matches that get played in Lucknow are played there as well.