Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014

Raghav_12

Tennis: ATP/WTA Tour 2014  

1. 1.

• Rafael Nadal
    • Novak Djokovic
    • Andy Murray
    • None of the above

I rate Dmitrov' date=' Raonic and Nishikori(who admittedly spends more time on the sidelines than playing tennis :haha:). In 2-3 years (when Djo and Nadal will be 30+) who knows, a bloke like Kyrgios may end up doing great too. I don't see any of the so-called big 4 winning then anyway (Federer will be gone surely by then).[/quote'] There will be some change in the next 3 years. In the last so many years mainly 3-4 persons have won all the slams. In the next 3-4 years there will be some new breakthroughs. That's inevitable. But the current top guys won't become irrelevant. They would slow down, but would still win 7-8 out of the next 12 slams.

Ferrer does not play club level contests. Matches against top 100 of the world for someone like him is never easy. Physically he puts as much effort as Federer if not more. It is true that Federer has a lot of miles on his body after playing more than 1000 matches. So his resurgence this year has been remarkable. I have never denied that. But some people behave as if Federer is not supposed to be winning and it is a miracle. I don't agree with that. It is not a miracle and it has been done before.
Well I didn't mean to say that Ferrer plays club level matches, sorry if it came across like that; but I don't think you could fairly compare the standard of play in the tournaments he takes part to the ones the others do. If you compare performances of Federer and Ferrer right after they turned 30 in GS and Masters/WTFs, you will have your answer. Or hypothetically, you could imagine the carnage if the "big four" were to play random events on the calendar even 5 years from now. And yeah, disagree about Federer. We will have to agree to disagree. It may not be a "miracle" (semantics meh) but precious few have or will match or better it or even come close to it.

There will be some change in the next 3 years. In the last so many years mainly 3-4 persons have won all the slams. In the next 3-4 years there will be some new breakthroughs. That's inevitable. But the current top guys won't become irrelevant. They would slow down' date=' but would still win 7-8 out of the next 12 slams.[/quote'] I see Nadal, Djokovic, Stan winning most if not all of the 9 slams to come starting from this year's USO and till say, 2016 USO(Federer and Murray might sneak the odd one too). After that there will be a change of guard for sure. The aforementioned won't become crap overnight but they won't do well enough to win slams IMO..not Nadal anyway (IMO). Let's see though, it's pure conjecture. Who knows.

I see Nadal' date=' Djokovic, Stan winning most if not all of the 9 slams to come starting from this year's USO and till say, 2016 USO(Federer and Murray might sneak the odd one too). After that there will be a change of guard for sure. The aforementioned won't become crap overnight but they won't do well enough to win slams IMO..not Nadal anyway (IMO). Let's see though, it's pure conjecture. Who knows.[/quote'] I am not convinced about Stan. He may hit a purple patch again and win another major but that's about it for him IMO.

Dont write off Murray. He's been having an inconsistent year but his game is slowly starting to come around. If murray gets some easy matches to build his confidence' date=' he could blow through the field too.[/quote'] Doubt it. You could probably make a case for him being the worst of the top ten right now.

thing is federer is naturally fit and has a superior ground coverage(i.e less coverage with max efficiency) than most.he hardly gets injured but he has lost his steam to play out and win 4-5 setters against the younger blokes in the last 4 years and thats where the age come into the play

It's the race for the WTF now, shame the WTF doesn't hold more value, it should basically have the role of being Super Slam in my opinion. Standings are below. The tyop 3 are through, Wawrinka is pretty much though, it's close to impossible to see how he'd not qualify unless he has the most horrible season end of his career. Novak Djokovic 8,150 Roger Federer 7,020 Rafael Nadal 6,645 Stan Wawrinka 4,795 Marin Cilic 3,935 Kei Nishikori 3,675 David Ferrer 3,535 Tomas Berdych 3,510 Milos Raonic 3,440 Grigor Dimitrov 3,335 Andy Murray 3,155 Jo Tsonga 2,625 Ernests Gulbis 2,400 I think Cilic will be through as well, he is hardly ever injured and been in good form and consistent all year. That leaves 3 spots. Murray trying his hardest to get through by even going for 250 events. Ferrer is the perfect vulture so I can see him getting through as well, so realistically there are are 2 spots available. For the line will include Nishikori and Raonic and I think the others will all miss out.

It's the race for the WTF now' date=' shame the WTF doesn't hold more value,[/quote'] It would have more value if it is best of 5, at least the knockout matches like it was before. Otherwise it is not very different from a regular masters, just slightly higher. There is absolutely no competition with the 4 slams in terms of prestige and fan interest. Cilic would qualify even if he is not in the top 8 as long as he does not drop out of top 20 which is 100% sure now by virtue of being a slam winner. Check the rules.

Li Na, China's double grand slam winner, forced to retire with knee injury

Li Na, a two-time Grand Slam champion from China who took tennis in Asia to a new level, has retired due to recurring knee injuries. The 32-year-old Li posted a statement on social media sites Friday, ending a week of intensifying speculation that she would announce her retirement ahead of the new WTA event in Wuhan, her home town.
More:http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/sep/19/li-na-double-grand-slam-retire-knee-injury

Apparently Del Potro is again feeling pain in his wrist. He had the surgery done a few months ago and was healing well but suddenly the pain is back again. Such an unlucky player. Injury completely ruined his career. With his talent he could have achieved so much more. Of course some people here would blame it on the playing style and refuse to call him "unlucky".

Novak was in top form at Beijing, but it's only a 500 event so I'll take it lightly. We've got the Shanghai masters going on at the moment and a couple of surprises with Wawrinka and Dimitrov being knocked out early. Nadal has a stomach virus so he could be the next big name out, depends on how serious it is of course. It's quite an interesting event cause loads of top players at different playing levels at the moment. Nishikori and Djokovic look to be in the best form right now and they do well in Asia.

Novak was in top form at Beijing, but it's only a 500 event so I'll take it lightly. We've got the Shanghai masters going on at the moment and a couple of surprises with Wawrinka and Dimitrov being knocked out early. Nadal has a stomach virus so he could be the next big name out, depends on how serious it is of course. It's quite an interesting event cause loads of top players at different playing levels at the moment. Nishikori and Djokovic look to be in the best form right now and they do well in Asia.
Diagnosed with early appendicitis. Must be his playing style.

When i saw he was leading in second set. Never thought this will end in 2 sets.
Did you see him trying to serve out the second set? It was blatantly obvious that Nadal did not want to play more than 2 sets and rightly so. He played because people pay a lot of money to see him, last minute withdrawal is very disappointing for the crowd. But I think he will go back to Spain and have the surgery done soon and probably skip the rest of the year, not sure he has time to get ready for WTF if he decided to get it taken out.