For Indian Cricket to improve learn from US Baseball

Midfielder

Also I am not sure what we discussing here. If its just about cricket borrowing from baseball, of course you always learn in life. if there is a better technique and it is legal to use it hell ya. But if baseball is tougher and baseballers can easily adapt to cricket and not the vise-versa. Cricket USA just needs to scout for some high-school baseballers and ask them play cricket and beat the shyt out of us. Well, we all know that isn't the case... :winky:
All I am saying there are modern ideas to be borrowed from baseball which are great. The intent was not cricket vs baseball but as far as baseball players are concerned no doubt in my mind they are better athletes than cricket players.

Like Democracy, Freedom fries, bombing random countries in the name of spreading democracy/halting communism/WMD and Lady Gaga most of the uniquely American concepts I've encountered are pretty stupid, superficial and lame. American sports are no different. Early last year, me and the Mr, were in the USA for a short holiday. Basically to visit my brother. In his backyard (or whatever is the right Americanism for that area) they have this one half of a Basketball court. So one morning, when I had nothing to do, I just walked that court and tried my hand at the game. And to tell you the truth, I'd never played basketball before that. I must have been 12-15 feet (my estimate) away from the loop. And I managed to score without much of an effort. And I'm just 5'5 or 5'6. Such a ridiculously easy game. I don't know why the NBA needs all those 7 footers to do something so seemingly easy. Any residual respect that I had for American sports and American society by extension, immediately evaporated that morning. There is nothing that our supremely talented cricketers can learn from the US sports. Baseball anyways is a corruption of smash the Bison with a club sport that the original Americans (read Red Indians) used to play during the hunting seasons. The White invaders apparently misunderstood what was going on and we have baseball as a result. Joke of a sport.
All I can say is you have never played basketball. Out of respect I will let you edit your post.

Cricket is different. It is not just how quickly you can run. Most of the cricket games are longer than a baseball game you need to conserve your energy and not put more effort than needed to do a job. Also a lot depends on the runner at the other end and position you are in after making the stroke. You don't run helter skelter for a easy single. In baseball a batter can face a maximum of 2 overs in cricketing parlance (note this doesn't happen always, this is the maximum he can face), so just hit the ball and run like hell. Also no extra weight, you drop your bat and wear minimum protective gear. A cricketer has to run with all the extra weight of the protective gear. In-spite of all the difference, lets do a comparison. Distance between bases is 30 yards if he can run it in 4.2 seconds. A cricket runs 22 yards in 3.1 seconds if he uses proper technique, which is good. If you calculate for 30 yards the speed will be similar to 4.2 seconds with protective gear!
The point was you have to be better stronger faster player to be a better athlete.

Baseball style hitting is useful when the ball is withint certain range and gun barrel straight. If you adopt to that swinging ' date=' seaming ball you will end up getting out or missing it. It is practically not possible to use that techique in cricket. It might work in some scenarios. But it will be a :fail: in lot of scenarios.[/quote'] Hand eye coordination is better.

You do not understand fluid dynamics. Yes, cricket does not have spiralling corkscrew motion. Baseball does not have anyehere close to the lateral deviatipn in the air or dip like in cricket. Seam of figure 8 cancels out a lot of the deviations. Axial seam of cricket ball does not Sent from my GT-S5830D using Tapatalk 2
8 seam splits air in multiple directions, single seam only once. A baseball can change direction three times coming to you whereas cricket ball only once.

Asians have the fastest reflexes. I am not sure where you got the idea Americans have better reflexes. I bet none of the Americans can match the hand eye coordination of Virendar sehwag.
Person A hits a ball 150 m with a surface area less than 2 sq in Person B hits a ball 100 m with a surface area of 160 sq in. Who has the better reflex?

Person A hits a ball 150 m with a surface area less than 2 sq in Person B hits a ball 100 m with a surface area of 160 sq in. Who has the better reflex?
Person has to lift the bat and bring it all the way down to meet a 149kph delivery.. Ball and bat is pretty much in the same trajectory in baseball unlike cricket where ball can dip at your feet. Most of the time the flick shot off the bad does use very minimum area v7a3ya.pnghttp://youtu.be/qxrL0IW_ZGo?t=3m29s

You know Cricket bat weighs as high as 52 ounces where as an MLB bat weighs between 30 to 33 ounces. Tendulkar carried something that is heavier (51.2 ounces) than any MLB player ever carried in MLB history. You execute shots ball after ball for whole day if necessary.. or 25 to 30 overs every match.

Regarding the topic lol (since we veered off so far) I think South Africa did that. Donald was like football coach loitering around the boundary line giving instructions to his team constantly in the league phase. Besides it is hard to pass strategy on the fly in a cricket match. For instance if he brings on Raina, you cannot yell "Why they eff you take off Ashwin you moron" . (lot of our ICfers wish though). It is a bit complicated. Captain has to think of the feet. He cannot go with set plans regardless of how the game goes.

Regarding the topic lol (since we veered off so far) I think South Africa did that. Donald was like football coach loitering around the boundary line giving instructions to his team constantly in the league phase. Besides it is hard to pass strategy on the fly in a cricket match. For instance if he brings on Raina, you cannot yell "Why they eff you take off Ashwin you moron" . (lot of our ICfers wish though). It is a bit complicated. Captain has to think of the feet. He cannot go with set plans regardless of how the game goes.
Now we can discuss. What Donald was doing was the right thing. Right out of baseball and that is the way it should be.The team manager had to stop the sorry behind of Raina from bowling. On a similar token Yuvraj should not have been selected or the team manager should have asked him to sacrifice his wicket. Lot of poor thinking on Indias part. Like I mentioned before SL made a tactical mistake by catching Yuvraj. if they would have dropped him they would have won in 15 overs. Modern games require quick thinking detailed statistics and Captain Dhoni is not fit to do all that.

I think some people here have brought out better points. Midfielder what are you smoking man? Are you not able to understand what majority of the people are trying to say here? Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Can you tell me one better point as I want to learn.

You know Cricket bat weighs as high as 52 ounces where as an MLB bat weighs between 30 to 33 ounces. Tendulkar carried something that is heavier (51.2 ounces) than any MLB player ever carried in MLB history. You execute shots ball after ball for whole day if necessary.. or 25 to 30 overs every match.
Baseball players carry little bit lighter bats because they want to hit ball further. tendulkar can carry lighter bat too.

Person has to lift the bat and bring it all the way down to meet a 149kph delivery.. Ball and bat is pretty much in the same trajectory in baseball unlike cricket where ball can dip at your feet. Most of the time the flick shot off the bad does use very minimum area v7a3ya.pnghttp://youtu.be/qxrL0IW_ZGo?t=3m29s
A 92 mph cricket ball will lose 40% of velocity by the time it comes to you. A 100 mph pitch loses only 10%.

But cricket ball does not have the energy of the baseball. Look at the distance a baseball travels and look at the distance for cricket ball and see which has more energy. It is impossible to stop a baseball with hand. The seam is also eight and the soin will split your hand in two. This way you cut down on the injuries.
Pls stop claiming its impossible! Baseballers used to catch the ball without gloves in the past, people who used gloves initially were looked down upon. And there are instances when people have caught baseball without gloves. A lot of cricketers get injured taking catches and fielding balls, so it hurts lets make no mistake about it. And stop claiming the baseball will split your hand in two. Has this ever happened? Also, most of the baseball gloves is designed to pocket (as opposed to catch) the ball easily far exceeding the intention to be categorized as a protective gear. These guys will be grounding cricket balls because they aren't used to catching a hard ball with bare hands and take help of the mitts to pocket the ball rather than catch it.
By the same token I can ask you why do cricket players have pads and hand gloves? See my point.
No I don't. They serve the purpose of protection. They are not intended to enhance your ability to score runs. As opposed to the the gloves they use in baseball, they are supposed to enhance you ability to catch. Also its legal to bowl at you in cricket, which is not in baseball that is why baseball batters don't need protective gear. And in the past cricketers didn't wear these protective gear just like baseballers of the past didn't use gloves. But the difference is gloves that baseballers use not only serves a protective purpose but also enhances their ability to steal balls.

But cricket ball is heavier and harder.. so you need heavier and harder bat.
Weight of cricket ball = 160 gms Circumfrence = 230 mm Weight of baseball = 150 gms Circumfrence = 235 mm Not much difference. You cannot justify a 10 gms difference should account for that much more bat weight.