The BJP thread

kabbirann

Ananth Kumar is a minister in the union government. More over' date=' he has always been an MP in the Parliament. So, his involvement in state politics was not significant anyway.[/quote'] I meant that he would have no influence over who the CM candidate in K'taka is.

Yeah ananth kumar though not involved directly in state politics was the one with a lot of gravitas. What you have is basically Mysore-Bangalore belt v Mangalore and coastal north areas of the state. It can be broken down further to higher castes (kumar) v lingayats. (yeddy). Together these two make up about 35% of the electorate in the state. The BJP have more of a monopoly over the lingayat community. This was exposed with Yeddys new party in the assembly elections. Lingayats on their own make up 15%. The higher caste vote is more divided. If yeddy can get the CM post closer to time remains to be seen. I am not 100% sold at the moment. A lot depends on the performance of the local congress government. If its weak and just needs a tip over the edge then Shah-Modi may chose to go with a lingayat who is loyal to Yeddy but with a clean image. Yeddy can be the power behind the throne. If its going to be an even fight then Yeddy might be pitched straight up. Either way he has been positioned. It was evident when Gowda and Kumar both got cabinet berths.

BTW if some newspapers are to be believed' date=' then people close to Varun gandhi are saying that he will be made UP CM candidate thats why he has been kept out of the team - and this has been done with his consent.[/quote'] well obviously they are going to say that. Varun Gandhi maybe arrogant but he is getting results. Did not even evoke Modis name and won with a crushing margin. Atm part of his charisma is his arrogance. What happened is the BJP most likely dont want to pick a candidate so early for fear of rebellion within the ranks. A lot again depends on the state of the SP government closer to election time. If they just need a push and BSP is nowhere to be seen then the BJP i feel will go with Modi again as the poster head and will decide post outcome. If its an even fight then they will name somebody. So i sort of agree with your analysis that the BJP wont go with anybody.

well obviously they are going to say that. Varun Gandhi maybe arrogant but he is getting results. Did not even evoke Modis name and won with a crushing margin. Atm part of his charisma is his arrogance. What happened is the BJP most likely dont want to pick a candidate so early for fear of rebellion within the ranks. A lot again depends on the state of the SP government closer to election time. If they just need a push and BSP is nowhere to be seen then the BJP i feel will go with Modi again as the poster head and will decide post outcome. If its an even fight then they will name somebody. So i sort of agree with your analysis that the BJP wont go with anybody.
Agreed - that arrogance is sort of a part of his image. But his victory in Sultanpur was assured even before his name was announced (his name was almost certain for Sultanpur for many months before the election so he had been building a base there) because of his surname. But the thing is that while arrogance might add to his personal charisma, it will work against him as far as leadership of the party, especially in a state as bitterly divided among various BJP factions as Uttar Pradesh currently is, is concerned. He has to tone it down a bit and only then will he be considered IMO. As for SP - they're gone. MSY is not going to ask Akhilesh to step down and the likes of Azam Khan won't let him work. And most importantly, Akhilesh himself is turning out to be much like his father in terms of being lax about administration. So they have no chance at all. Mayawati has been very bitterly disappointed with the pathetic performance so BSP has already started some repair work - if they present a good challenge then it might be difficult for BJP......otherwise BJP is all set to come to power in UP in 2017. And if they do come to power then I expect Rajnath Singh to be given a bigger voice than Amit Shah.

So can we expect Rajnath singh for UP cm? I guess the big question is, is being the CM of a big state like say Maharashtra or Uttar Pradesh considered bigger than being than being finance defence consolidated transport (Gadkari) and foreign affairs and home? On Varun Gandhi, ofcourse his name is his asset. But the thing is that its there. Its not fair, but its there. Now obviously once he gets into power (potentially) he will have to change his ways. A state as big as UP will always have factions for national parties, be it BJP or Congress. However his mother will guide him i feel. At the moment he is young enough to get away with moments of fire. The truth is that the BJP need a firebrand in there. Do you make that firebrand CM remains to be seen. 3 years is a long time in politics. Fair to say that the BJP at the moment are keeping their options open. If i was Amit shah, while i would keep abreast of the situation, but I would keep it as a back burner. He has Maha to concentrate on as of now. Bihar to concentrate on next year. Maybe 2016 onwards its time to pay attention in detail to UP as i doubt major assembly elections in 2016 (TN and WB) the BJP will have a major impact. Its more about making inroads than winning power.

So can we expect Rajnath singh for UP cm? I guess the big question is, is being the CM of a big state like say Maharashtra or Uttar Pradesh considered bigger than being than being finance defence consolidated transport (Gadkari) and foreign affairs and home?
I don't think he would want to be a contender. Being a Union Home Minister would be considered a much bigger post than the Chief Minister of UP.

So can we expect Rajnath singh for UP cm? I guess the big question is, is being the CM of a big state like say Maharashtra or Uttar Pradesh considered bigger than being than being finance defence consolidated transport (Gadkari) and foreign affairs and home? On Varun Gandhi, ofcourse his name is his asset. But the thing is that its there. Its not fair, but its there. Now obviously once he gets into power (potentially) he will have to change his ways. A state as big as UP will always have factions for national parties, be it BJP or Congress. However his mother will guide him i feel. At the moment he is young enough to get away with moments of fire. The truth is that the BJP need a firebrand in there. Do you make that firebrand CM remains to be seen. 3 years is a long time in politics. Fair to say that the BJP at the moment are keeping their options open. If i was Amit shah, while i would keep abreast of the situation, but I would keep it as a back burner. He has Maha to concentrate on as of now. Bihar to concentrate on next year. Maybe 2016 onwards its time to pay attention in detail to UP as i doubt major assembly elections in 2016 (TN and WB) the BJP will have a major impact. Its more about making inroads than winning power.
I don't think he will agree to being UP CM after being the National prez twice and being the Home Minister. When I said he would have a bigger voice I meant that he would have a lot of influence in choosing candidates and in choosing the CM candidate. He already has his men in place all over the state and has been one of the biggest reasons for BJP's decline in UP over the last 10-12 years and now being the Home Minister and being from UP, I guess he will get more say over UP BJP politics. Also, he is now grooming his son Pankaj Singh (Facebook pages like "Pankaj for CM" etc are already up and running). Yeah...if they do declare anyone, it will certainly not be right now bcoz there's just too much time left. But Shah is keeping a very close eye on UP - not just bcoz its got 80 Lok Sabha seats but also bcoz Modi is not a MP from there. Right now the only thing BJP is doing in UP is to try and keep the communal tension going in one place or the other so that the SP Govt. just doesn't get any time to settle down and take stock of the Lok Sabha loss. And now they're also openly playing the caste card - even in Shah's team that was declared today, a lot of names from UP were there mainly bcoz of the caste factor.

I don't think he would want to be a contender. Being a Union Home Minister would be considered a much bigger post than the Chief Minister of UP.
Home Minister certainly would be a bigger post, though not that much bigger than UP CM bcoz of the sheer size of UP. But I do agree with you that he won't accept but he will have a bigger say in how things are run in UP.

well obviously they are going to say that. Varun Gandhi maybe arrogant but he is getting results. Did not even evoke Modis name and won with a crushing margin. Atm part of his charisma is his arrogance.
Yes, he did deliver results. Not just in his constituency, but as campaign chief for West Bengal, winning 17% vote share for BJP and 2 seats is a huge achievement considering that they have never been a player in that state.

Yes' date=' he did deliver results. Not just in his constituency, but as campaign chief for West Bengal, winning 17% vote share for BJP and 2 seats is a huge achievement considering that they have never been a player in that state.[/quote'] Meh....he didn't do much in WB - for most of the election time he holding rallies in UP. And even before that there were news reports that he didn't go to WB that much.

Yeah...if they do declare anyone, it will certainly not be right now bcoz there's just too much time left. But Shah is keeping a very close eye on UP - not just bcoz its got 80 Lok Sabha seats but also bcoz Modi is not a MP from there. Right now the only thing BJP is doing in UP is to try and keep the communal tension going in one place or the other so that the SP Govt. just doesn't get any time to settle down and take stock of the Lok Sabha loss. And now they're also openly playing the caste card - even in Shah's team that was declared today, a lot of names from UP were there mainly bcoz of the caste factor.
i am sure Shah will delegate people in his team to do that. The local BJP/Sangh units will take care of that. He cant be everywhere. The BJP want to be a pan hindu party. Which means giving OBCs and SCs prominent roles. + governance. So it makes sense probably to go along the caste line. Clearly Jatavs can going to be loyal to the BSP. But other groups like Paxis etc can easily be brought into the BJP fold in additions to other groups like jats. One of the key reasons of forming an alliance with the apna dal was to allign non yadav obc voters with the BJP. If say BJP can get 40% of the SC vote share + 50% of the non yadav OBC vote share 50% of the jat vote share and 70%+ of the upper caste vote share they are well on their way to forming government in UP with about 35% of the vote. If the SP is as weak as it is, then clearly splitting the BSP sc vote is going to be crucial. Which means bringing non jatav sc voters into the fold.The BJP can break the BSP's back if they do that.

Tamilisai Sounderrajan appointed BJP TN unit president

It is official now. Tamilisai Soundararajan, a fiery speaker and daughter of former Tamil Nadu Congress Committee president Kumari Ananthan, has been made the new president of the Bharatiya Janata Party’s Tamil Nadu unit, in what seems to be an ironic twist in the State’s politics. The BJP, though, will promote it as a sign of internal democracy in the saffron party. A workaholic and a vocal campaigner during the recent Lok Sabha polls, Ms. Tamilisai will also be the first-ever woman to steer the BJP leadership in the State. She takes over the reigns at a crucial juncture when the party is aiming for a larger presence in the State ahead of the 2016 Assembly elections. “Our party president Amit Shah has already announced that the focus would be on developing the BJP outside the Hindi heartland. This automatically makes Tamil Nadu crucial,” she told The Hindu over the phone. Her nomination brings to end the prolonged suspense on who would take over the responsibility from Pon. Radhakrishnan, who had to give up his party post after he became a Union Minister in May. Ms. Tamilisai, who belongs to the Nadar community as Mr. Radhakrishnan, had to contend with a stiff challenge thrown in by veteran State leader H. Raja. Incidentally, Mr. Raja was appointed as a national secretary on Saturday, a post that Ms. Tamilisai had held. Mr. Raja had lost the Lok Sabha election contesting in Sivaganga, while Ms. Tamilisai was denied a party ticket. Asked about the internal party equations, she said all leaders were aware that team work was now necessary to make the BJP a strong force in Tamil Nadu. The 53-year-old Ms. Tamilisai, a doctor by profession, rose through the ranks after starting off as a local medical wing secretary of the party. Significantly, she will also be the first BJP Tamil Nadu chief without a significant RSS background. Despite the BJP’s fluctuating political fortunes, Ms. Tamilisai stood her ground as a staunch party worker.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/tamilisai-sounderrajan-appointed-bjp-tn-unit-president/article6324160.ece have no idea about this women. Can anybody elaborate? Have a limited knowledge about BJP in TN in general

Will be interesting to see if BJP can maintain the PMK-DMDK-various regional parties alliance for the assembly polls. I am sure that the DMK will aim to lure Ramadoss or DMDK away. Rajya sabha posts and junior ministries are the need of the hour. I did read that AIADMK will give the BJP a chance to tie up for assembly. I dont kow how true this is as the AIADMK can win on its own. But even if they do offer the BJP should go it alone and build in the state.

In general i think the BJP need to aim to become the main opposition in Tamil nadu. Both TN and WB have one party which is one the mat (CPM and DMK). Both TN and WB have regional dominant parties (Trinmool and AIADMK). The best the BJP can do is aim to fill the void of opposition.

BJP-HJC divorce likely after Narendra Modi's Kaithal visit Read more at: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/40387902.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst a right call. With the number of defections coming into the BJP from the congress and INLD there is not going to be a shortage of candidates. If the BJP fail to make the magic number then they can always form a government with INLD.

ShivrajSingh Chouhan ‏@chouhan_shivraj Tribute to Sh.Rajiv Gandhi on his Birth Anniversary.Requested BJP MP units to pay homage by Shaking the earth by Making a Big tree fall.
:hysterical: Edit: Since there is no CONgi thread, I posted it here. Also, SS Chouhan is a must follow on twitter.