****Maharashtra Assembly Elections 2014 Thread***

G_B_

agree with raghav that its SS who needs bjp more than the other way around.with 2 more prominent parties like ncp and congress,it would very difficult for the SS to survive without bjp.. add to that out of all these parties,SS has the worst winablity % per seat,bjp should go on with their final proposal and leave the ball at uddhav's court.lets see if he has the guts to break the alliance. bjp shouldnt act meek and compromise on their final proposal.one thing is that if this alliance breaks,there will be a big split of the BJP-SS vote which'll directly benefit the cong-ncp alliance and they''ll most probably sweep mumbai.large voter turnout will be the deciding factor in such a case. would be interesting to see if all 4 parties contest separately :cantstop:,bjp will sweep maha i think

BJP likely to announce its candidates today.I am pretty sure that BJP will win more seats than Sena.I wonder if BJP can tie up with NCP.That would be slap to the thackreys.
actually the bjp-ncp alliance makes more(on the basis of semantics only),both will be happy with a 50-50 seat sharing but that'll mean cheating the public and tying up with a corrupt party which the people want to kick out by and large.anyway i personally never liked the ncp and dont want the bjp to tie up with such state parties like tmc,rjd,sp,bsp etc

Interesting facts: In 2009, BJP contested on far fewer seats than Shiv Sena, yet won one more seat. In 2004, NCP contested on far fewer seats than Congress, yet won two more seats. Mind-bogglingly though, they conceded the CM's post to Congress for the entire term. Bizarre!
Rane defected to the congress. Adding numbers. This contesting more seats myth needs to be debunked. You fight elections in mumbai like the sena and the congress then clearly you are bearing the most risk. Look at where the seats are fought rather than number.

actually the bjp-ncp alliance makes more(on the basis of semantics only)' date='both will be happy with a 50-50 seat sharing but that'll mean cheating the public and tying up with a corrupt party which the people want to kick out by and large.anyway i personally never liked the ncp and dont want the bjp to tie up with such state parties like tmc,rjd,sp,bsp etc[/quote'] that alliance will leave gaping holes in konkan khandesh and mumbai regions. Close to 130 seats. You would be heavily reliant on navi mumbai-western maharashtra for NCP and Viderbha with Marathwada being the battleground.

looks like there is no progress in the ncp congress logjam Meeting tomorrow to decide the fate of the coalition. Sources within the NCP want it to go alone. Believe it has a higher concentration of the vote in western maharashtra. From what i am reading the NCP is confident of picking atleast 50 seats on its own.

Sena offered BJP 126 BJP now asking for 130. Reports that Sena have been offered more safe seats in Viderbha to compensate them for their risky battles in mumbai. In return BJP will take more seats in western maharashtra Seems like a more consoliatory tone.

Sena offered BJP 126 BJP now asking for 130. Reports that Sena have been offered more safe seats in Viderbha to compensate them for their risky battles in mumbai. In return BJP will take more seats in western maharashtra Seems like a more consoliatory tone.
fair enough but modi just said they want 130.i think this is good stand taken by modi and there is no point in backing off.lets see if SS go against modi

fair enough but modi just said they want 130.i think this is good stand taken by modi and there is no point in backing off.lets see if SS go against modi
its only fair the bjp give the sena more safe seats then. 130 bjp 140 sena and 18 others...
Shah spoke to Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and made a “very liberal offer” of accepting 130 of the 288 seats. He also offered to accept the “worst possible seats” which Sena has not won in the last 25 years of their alliance.
Read more at: http://www.livemint.com/Politics/tJm6PockOJmCH6XnXzdIBN/As-Shiv-Sena-ties-fray-BJP-reduces-demand-for-Maharashtra-s.html?utm_source=copy This probably makes sense really. This way the BJP is taking its fair share of the risks. Sena should take it IMO. Certain seats just cannot be won. Case in point the seat currently held by Ajit Pawar. This is what i mean, dont just look at the numbers. The quality of seats need to be looked at as well. The mahayuti has about 103 seats. They probably have 100 odd seats which they have won in the past or are capable of winning. Take the offer Sena its a good offer.

This is what i mean, dont just look at the numbers. The quality of seats need to be looked at as well. The mahayuti has about 103 seats. They probably have 100 odd seats which they have won in the past or are capable of winning.
This is what they should have been doing all along instead of getting hung up with numbers. I think ego has played a big part here on both sides and they are getting stuck with deciding on numbers rather than taking into account who contests what.

If both alliances still do not get agreement on all seats, I think the sensible thing for them to do would be is to have at the very least a quasi-alliance. What this would mean is that within the alliance, you decide which party contests which seats that are unanimously agreed on. Around 75 - 80% seats can easily be decided unanimously, probably even 80 - 90%. Then, for the remaining seats where there is no agreement, both parties can put up candidates and hope for the better party to win. Of course, votes would get divided, but these seats inevitably would be almost hopeless causes anyway. This is not an ideal solution, but it is better than completely dismantling an alliance.

If both alliances do fall apart though' date=' the biggest winner would be unquestionably MNS. They would benefit massively in a five-way divide of votes.[/quote'] i agree on that. I think mns should be looking at about 20 seats if the alliances fall apart. Looks like the sena and bjp are doing a joint conference so signs at this moment appear to be positive.

Maharashtra polls: Shiv Sena 'agrees to give 130 seats to BJP'

NEW DELHI: The Shiv Sena has agreed to give 130 seats to the BJP, bringing an end to the deadlock over seat-sharing for the Maharashtra assembly elections, according to Times Now. The leaders of the two parties met on Tuesday to sort out differences over seat sharing and arrive at a consensus to save the alliance. However, it is still not clear if the Sena will cut its share of seats or the smaller parties of the coalition will have to make the sacrifice. The two parties will now discuss the new proposal with other allies in the coalition. Earlier, Sena group leader in assembly Subhash Desai, party spokesperson and Rajya Sabha member Sanjay Raut arrived at the BJP office — Vasant Smriti Bhavan — in Dadar in central Mumbai around noon and met top BJP leaders on the alliance issue. BJP's Maharashtra poll in charge Om Mathur and state party president Devendra Fadnavis were among those present at the meeting. Fadnavis has convened a meeting of state BJP unit functionaries, district unit presidents, legislators and MPs here today to discuss the political situation ahead of the Assembly polls. Leader of opposition in assembly Eknath Khadse and leader of opposition in council Vinod Tawde also participatied in the meeting. BJP has already rejected the formula put forth by Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray of his party contesting 151, BJP-119 and allies 18 seats for the elections to the 288-member state Assembly. BJP yesterday made a counter offer seeking 130, a climbdown from earlier 135, but said it would contest all 288 seats if "compelled" to part ways from its oldest ally in the NDA. Earlier, BJP president Amit Shah had issued categorical instructions to the party's Maharashtra leaders not to accept anything less than 130 assembly seats from Shiv Sena.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Maharashtra-polls-Shiv-Sena-agrees-to-give-130-seats-to-BJP/articleshow/43226437.cms Assuming this is true (dont trust the toilet of india) i think its a good call. BJP get 130 seats but are poorer quality seats. Sena get 140. But have the potential for a greater strike rate. Works well. I think the NCP-Congress should be sealed up as well with news of this deal. I am hearing 130 ncp and 158 congress on that front.

Maharashtra polls: Shiv Sena 'agrees to give 130 seats to BJP' http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Maharashtra-polls-Shiv-Sena-agrees-to-give-130-seats-to-BJP/articleshow/43226437.cms Assuming this is true (dont trust the toilet of india) i think its a good call. BJP get 130 seats but are poorer quality seats. Sena get 140. But have the potential for a greater strike rate. Works well. I think the NCP-Congress should be sealed up as well with news of this deal. I am hearing 130 ncp and 158 congress on that front.
yeah the news is true,confirmed by various media channels.bjp will have to give 7 seats to its smaller allies even ss will have to give up on 7-8 seats.RPI wants double digits seats so this might cause a headache but still this is a fair distribution and both RSP and RPI will remain a part of this mahayuti .SS have demanded for uddhav to be the CM if the ally wins.i think this reconciliation came through because of modis "no less than 130 seats" statement yesterday. meanwhile cong are adamant on giving just 124 seats to ncp,the deadlock's still on and sources say cong are ready to go alone