The Tech Thread

Sachin=GOD

wanna ask something...should we post entire articles on this thread or just little part as teaser in quote with link to website ..i feel we are stealing some of their clicks :P
IMO, there are two things one could do - (1) Post the entire article and highlight or (2) Post certain bits of the article. In both cases, there should be hyperlinks. It is up to the people to click it or not.

Nexus 5 16gb is available for 23450 on Amazon - that IMO is a great deal even 11 months after it was released. [ame=http://www.amazon.in/Google-Nexus-D821-16GB-Black/dp/B00GC1J55C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412581696&sr=8-1&keywords=nexus+5]Google Nexus 5 D821 (16GB, Black): Buy Google Nexus 5 D821 (16GB, Black) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in[/ame] BTW is there any chance that this is a refurbished unit and not a new one?

Nexus 5 16gb is available for 23450 on Amazon - that IMO is a great deal even 11 months after it was released. Google Nexus 5 D821 (16GB, Black): Buy Google Nexus 5 D821 (16GB, Black) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in BTW is there any chance that this is a refurbished unit and not a new one?
Same offer available on snapdeal http://www.snapdeal.com/product/lg-google-nexus-5-16/848745269#bcrumbLabelId:175

HP is better not together — company to split into enterprise and PC/printer businesses

Hewlett-Packard is now forging ahead with plans to split off its PC-and-printer businesses into a separate company, with the rest of the company’s enterprise portfolio staying together in a separate entity to be called Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, the company said early Monday morning. The Hewlett-Packard enterprise unit, comprising servers, storage, networking, converged systems, services and software and the OpenStack Helion cloud, will be led by Meg Whitman as president and CEO. Pat Russo will be chairman of that board. The PC and printer entity, to be known as HP Inc., will be led by Dion Weisler as president and CEO, with Whitman as chairman.
Read more - https://gigaom.com/2014/10/06/its-official-hp-is-better-not-together-company-to-split-into-enteprise-and-pcprinter-businesses/

Don't buy from snapdeal - their products have warranty issues. Also please use the "Awesome online deal" thread.
yeah I had bad experience with them when they didnt take back faulty TV. Flipkart has been satisfactory in this regard.Amazon is good too

yeah I had bad experience with them when they didnt take back faulty TV. Flipkart has been satisfactory in this regard.Amazon is good too
Lenovo, Nikon are some manufacturers who say they won't support warranties. Flipkart was good but currently I only trust WSRetail that too my confidence has gone down tremendously over the years. Some Amazon products have A-Z guarantee and are "Amazon Fulfilled" and my experience has been wonderful. Even their customer experience is superior to most online portals. Where's my warranty? The growing perils of shopping online in India http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/features/wheres-my-warranty-the-growing-perils-of-shopping-online-in-india-489471

Lenovo' date=' Nikon are some manufacturers who say they won't support warranties. Flipkart was good but currently I only trust WSRetail that too my confidence has gone down tremendously over the years. [b']Some Amazon products have A-Z guarantee and are "Amazon Fulfilled" and my experience has been wonderful. Even their customer experience is superior to most online portals. Where's my warranty? The growing perils of shopping online in India http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/features/wheres-my-warranty-the-growing-perils-of-shopping-online-in-india-489471
Yup. Thats the most trustworthy ecommerce option in India currently.

Amazon plans to open its first brick-and-mortar store The New York City Location to Handle Same-Day-Delivery Inventory, Product Returns

Amazon.com Inc. plans to open a store in the middle of New York City, according to people familiar with the plans, the first brick-and-mortar outlet in its 20-year history and an experiment to provide the type of face-to-face experience found at traditional retailers. The site, set to open in time for the holiday-shopping season on the same busy street as Macy’s Inc's flagship store. Amazon’s space at 7 West 34th St., across from the Empire State Building in Midtown, would function as a mini warehouse, with limited inventory for same-day delivery within New York, product returns and exchanges, and pickups of online orders. The Manhattan location is meant primarily to be a place for customers to pick up orders they’ve made online, but will also serve as a distribution center for couriers and likely one day will feature Amazon devices like Kindle e-readers, Fire smartphones and Fire TV set-top boxes, according to people familiar with the company’s thinking.
http://online.wsj.com/articles/amazon-to-open-first-store-1412879124

In follow up to these articles, something similar happening in india, Test for malaria in 30 minutes
The device can take another three years to reach the market Diagnosing malaria, a disease that kills one child every minute around the world, could soon take as little as 30 minutes to do — perhaps even on your smart phone— thanks to a new device created by a team of researchers at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc). The “lab on chip” needs less than a drop of blood (around 10 lakh blood cells) to detect cells infected with malaria. A disposable cartridge first adds re-agents to the blood sample to mark out malignant cells from healthy ones. It then delivers the sample to the handheld instrument which in turn uses an optical reader that quantifies the infected blood cells, Sai Siva Gorthi, Assistant Professor at the Department of Instrumentation and Applied Physics and Principal Investigator of the project, told The Hindu. The low-cost device, which could cost just Rs. 10 per test , is small enough to fit in our hands, and would be particularly useful in parts of India where access to laboratories is poor, he added. Those who can afford smartphones can use their phone camera — with the help of a hardware add-on and an App developed by the team — detect malaria and get a quantitative analysis report too. “The hardware essentially helps turn the camera phone into a microscope,”Dr. Gorthi said.

One more article on the same subject, Diagnose malaria with a drop of blood, in 30 mins flat

Bangalore: It promises to bring in a revolution in detecting the deadly malaria -- IISc scientists have developed a handheld device that can diagnose the disease in less than 30 minutes, from less than a drop of blood. The team has already developed a lab prototype of the low-cost diagnostic instrument that takes a small sample of blood, analyzes individual cells, and detects cells that are infected by malaria. The device is small enough to fit into a hand. A team of researchers led by Dr Sai Siva Gorthi, assistant professor at the Department of Instrumentation and Applied Physics, IISc, developed the device and incubated it at the Robert Bosch Centre for Cyber Physical Systems (RBCCPS) at the premier institute. Dr Gorthi told TOI, "Taking primary healthcare to each village in India is a challenge. In many instances, villagers are forced to travel to the nearest town or city for diagnosis. The diagnostic process -- from taking blood samples, to manually analyzing them under a microscope, to preparing a report -- usually takes more than a day and makes it challenging for healthcare workers to get back with recommendations for treatment. This not only takes up a significant amount of money and energy, but also a few days' worth of labour and wages for the villagers," he added. PORTABLE PATHOLOGY LAB Dr Gorthi explained, "Our approach combines technologies like image processing, microfluidics and microscopy. It's essentially a pathology lab-on-a-device," says Dr Gorthi. "The cost of the replaceable chip, which we call cartridge, is Rs 10, if you have a smartphone to capture the imagery. We are also developing a standalone model, whose cost may run into a few thousands," he added. Other members of the team said compared to traditional diagnosis methods, the device collects significantly lower quantities of blood, about 200 nanolitres. "This amount of blood contains about 10 lakh blood cells. The device analyzes each and every cell present in this tiny drop of blood and gives a visual representation as well as quantitative count of the malaria affected cells," said a scientist. For urban areas too: The handheld device, which is portable, can easily be modified and extended for diagnosing other diseases as well. As Dr Gorthi explained, "In the urban scenario, it can be revolutionary in terms of testing blood for various diseases. The user or suspected patient can take the sample and send the imagery to his doctor via smartphone, who in turn can prescribe treatment. This saves money, energy and time," he added. "We are tremendously excited about this simple yet incredible device that can fully automate the complete workflow of clinical microscopy, making accurate diagnosis of malaria and other diseases far more accessible than it has been before," says Dr Parama Pal, head of healthcare at RBCCPS. The innovation also won the 'Best Innovator's Pitch' award at the recently-concluded Innovation Centre Stage event held in New Delhi. The award is given by the Biotechnology Industry Research Assistance Council ), government of India.

MS is planning to slowly phase out brand Nokia. The Lumia series will be eventually known as the "Microsoft Lumia" series. Kind of feeling bad for Nokia. They were true giants in their time. Now they will be reduced to case studies in management books.

MS is planning to slowly phase out brand Nokia. The Lumia series will be eventually known as the "Microsoft Lumia" series. Kind of feeling bad for Nokia. They were true giants in their time. Now they will be reduced to case studies in management books.
Microsoft had the rights to release Lumia phones with the Nokia brand name only for 18 months after the purchase so they had to do this. They can still bring out feature phones (I guess these are the entry level phones) with the Nokia brand name for 10 years. Also, the original Nokia company can bring out its own phones if it wants after 2016.