Batting averages after 19 tests

After 19 tests -VVS Laxman 27 -Steve Waugh 28.16 -Jacques Kallis 29.03 - Graham Gooch 31.25 - Mohd Yousuf 32.15 - Vengsarkar 35.4 - Jimmy Amarnath 35.96 - GR Viswanath 36.09 - Jayasuriya 33.83 - Carl Hooper 23.66 - Larry Gomes 36.06 - Mike Gatting 22.55 ETC (Reference:Cricinfo blogs) Mathew Hayden (after 15 tests) average of 33 No reason why Yuvraj with a batting average of 33 in tests due to inconsistent run can't succeed in tests. He is a class act a sureshot matchwinner. The bias of TWO forumers on this board is clearly reflected.

Guest Yograj Singh

YES, INDEED! Yuvraj is a master in the making, and his failures so far should be tolerated. He will surely retire as the finest left handed batsman the game has seen, well ahead of Sobers and Pollock!

The fundamental stat missing from the OP - How long did the players take to play 19 tests from the time they debuted in international cricket. Yuvraj debuted in 2000, We are now in 2007. That says a lot. Besides , these stats are quite meaningless since they dont tell a damn about the technique/mentality of the players. Except maybe Jayasuriya , almost EVERY player listed in the OP have a better technique than Yuvraj , were therefore persisted with and hence went on to have glorious test careers. Having said that, Yuvraj will get his chance. Its just a matter of time.

Guest Yograj Singh

BTW thank you for that comparison to Hooper. Yuvraj really does remind me a lot of him, especially in the way they can both destroy spinners. I remember pointing out to Yuvi how Hooper took Warne apart once. Yuvi obviously remembered when he was hitting Malik and Afridi all over the place recently!

The fundamental stat missing from the OP - How long did the players take to play 19 tests from the time they debuted in international cricket. Yuvraj debuted in 2000, We are now in 2007. That says a lot. Besides , these stats are quite meaningless since they dont tell a damn about the technique/mentality of the players. Except maybe Jayasuriya , almost EVERY player listed in the OP have a better technique than Yuvraj , were therefore persisted with and hence went on to have glorious test careers. Having said that, Yuvraj will get his chance. Its just a matter of time.
Shocking , coming from you! Yuvraj debuted in odis in 2000 but due to our packed middle order, he only got 1 decent run that was liek last yr. How can you blame him for that? and I doubt Steve waugh had better technique than him. Yuvraj is one of the finest players of the pace bowling and he has improved against spinners immensely.
No reason why Yuvraj with a batting average of 33 in tests due to inconsistent run can't succeed in tests. He is a class act a sureshot matchwinner.
Can you tell us of a single 'classy' knock Yuvraj has played in test cricket so far ? The guy has never made a huge score in domestic cricket. The guy cannot play spinners in tests confidently ( if you are getting out to Dave Mohammed and Chris Gayle in tests, you suck. period.) The guy cannot carry on well after getting well set- a critical component of batting success in tests- while 30s and 40s can be very useful and even matchwinning in ODIs, 30s-40s mean failure in tests and check the # of times Yuvraj has gotten out in the 20s-40s zone despite getting well set Yuvraj is a classy one-day player and should remain so. Not all players are cut out to play test cricket, justlike not all are cut out to play ODIs. bevan was God of batting in ODIs for a while, sucked in Tests. Yuvraj is essentially the same, though a 'lesser' Bevan in effectiveness at ODIs. I see no reason for Yuvraj to play in tests and statistics in this aspect is the tool of the fool. You cant just say 'lookie, these guys were 20-something average' in Tests at point X, Yuvvy is same boat/better- so give him a chance. The conditions for each of those batsmen were significantly different early on and some of them batted many years ago. Please tell us what YUVRAJ has done to deserve recall to TESTS- and in this, his ODI record/form means absolutely ZERO.
Guest Yograj Singh
Can you tell us of a single 'classy' knock Yuvraj has played in test cricket so far ?
Back in 2004, he made a stunning hundred against Pakistan. Since then, he's not made one only because the pitches and umpires have disadvantaged him, and he's not been given the right batting slot. Tendulkar should move over and let Yuvi bat at 4!
Guest Yograj Singh
The point being that liek Australians do' date=' Yuvraj should be persisted with and given a long run since we all know what an exceptional talent he is.[/quote'] YES!!!!! Finally someone speaking sense in this topic! Yuvraj4Captaincy, you really know your cricket (and I love your username - although give him some time)! :two_thumbs_up: If Yuvi was Australian, he would be a firm fixture in the side right now ahead of Mike Hussey or Michael Clarke.
Since then, he's not made one only because the pitches and umpires have disadvantaged him,
Eh ? Sorry but Yuvraj has batted on some of the flattest tracks for most of his test career and still has a very pathetic record to show for it. Besides, given your name ( doensnt matter if you are the real maal or not), i doubt very much if you can objectively debate Yuvraj's Test spot and whether he deserves it or not.
Shocking , coming from you! Yuvraj debuted in odis in 2000 but due to our packed middle order, he only got 1 decent run that was liek last yr. How can you blame him for that?
Not just our packed middle-order, but also because of his in-consistencies during whatever chances were given to him.
and I doubt Steve waugh had better technique than him. Yuvraj is one of the finest players of the pace bowling and he has improved against spinners immensely.
Finest players of pace ? - No He has improved immensely against Spinners ? - When ? As i said , all is not lost for Yuvi. He will be an automatic selection into the test eleven in 12-15 months time.
You don't watch cricket do you? Rewind back to Lahore, when all struggled..One man - Yuvraj flourished on a helluva pitch.
Okay. Fair enough, I should've said more than 1 knock. As far as i am concerned, that was the first and only excellent performance from yuvraj, rest were all either barely adequate or utterly hopeless. And please do answer my other points. What has Yuvraj done in the longer version of the game to deserve playing tests ? DO NOT bring ODIs into here- they are utterly irrelevant when discussing test cricket.
Guest Yograj Singh
Finest players of pace ? - No He has improved immensely against Spinners ? - When ?
Have you seen his delightful pull shots against pacemen? Did you see him take apart Malik and Afridi in the last few ODIs? The man is a master! The next Hooper for sure! :yay:
The guy cannot carry on well after getting well set- a critical component of batting success in tests- while 30s and 40s can be very useful and even matchwinning in ODIs, 30s-40s mean failure in tests and check the # of times Yuvraj has gotten out in the 20s-40s zone despite getting well set .
It's extremely funny how you applied the one day logic which in itself is flawed cuz for instance you havent considered the match situations and the position he was batting at to pass a judgement that he wont succeed in tests. And oh the irony, ppl say that dont bring his odi form into tests....Illogical statement.