Batting averages after 19 tests

I think we should clone Yuvraj Singh and play him at #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. Then India's batting lineup would be unstoppable. Can you picture the carnage ? 36 runs coming off every over with some cool fist-pumping during the intervening periods when the fielders have to climb into the stands and fetch the ball.

For all those harping about Yuvraj Singh, this Indian batting lineup aint a rock of Gibraltar anymore. Among, Dravid, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Laxman & Jaffar, atleast three are playing for their spots every game. Most of these folks average in the mid 30s over an extended period of time. Its surprising, we talk of technique & all such BS, when these experienced bats who have played over a decade of Test cricket, never managed to score runs when conditions were difficult to bat, in the last couple of years. Yuvraj & Sehwag are victims of public opinions. If stats is the only thing to go by, they arent the only ones who must be dropped.

Guest Yograj Singh

If Yuvraj cant make into the test-team as a pure batsman , why not play him as an all-rounder ? Kumble is 37 and will retire soon. Yuvraj , with a little more practice , can easily don the role of our lead-spinner.

And please do answer my other points. What has Yuvraj done in the longer version of the game to deserve playing tests ? DO NOT bring ODIs into here- they are utterly irrelevant when discussing test cricket.
Fair enough but thats the point. He hasn't done enough. So didnt the other names mentioned above including Mathew Hayden(till 16th test). But you see the talent and you back it up.Thats my point. I at no point had said that Yuvraj has set things on fire in tests. All I am saying is that he should be given the opportunity.
Okay. Fair enough, I should've said more than 1 knock. quote] He has 2 hundreds. Also lets say this, even steve waugh etc hadnt played significant knocks after 19 tests and they were given consistent runs compared to the inconsistent run yuvi got.
Yeah one of those hundreds is as easy as it gets. Steve Waugh was given consistent run because he'd done FAR MORE than Yuvraj in tests and had a far more robust DOMESTIC FIRST CLASS achievements to back him up. Yuvraj is useless in the longer form of the game. Steve Waugh was also in his early 20s, not late 20s.
So didnt the other names mentioned above including Mathew Hayden(till 16th test). But you see the talent and you back it up.Thats my point.
All the players you mentioned had done a LOT in first class cricket by the age of 26-27 or by the 18-19 test mark than Yuvraj has. As per seeing talent, i don't think you are seeing talent, you are just carried away by 'pretty batting', thats all. Yuvraj has a very loose defensive technique and he CANNOT read spinners off their hands, thus gets owned by mediocre spinners in Tests. If it were up to me, Yuvraj would NEVER make it to the test side unless he produced a season or two of 55-60+ averages in the domestic scene.
And oh the irony, ppl say that dont bring his odi form into tests....Illogical statement.
Nothing illogical about it, the two games are different, batting & bowling is very different. I doubt you've played much cricket beyond the galli-cricket, so you do not appreciate how different those two game are and form/class in one is not reflective of the other form. There are numerous players who've been hit in one form of the game and flop in the other- Yuvvy is the same way. Hit in ODIs, flop in tests.
Yeah one of those hundreds is as easy as it gets. Steve Waugh was given consistent run because he'd done FAR MORE than Yuvraj in tests and had a far more robust DOMESTIC FIRST CLASS achievements to back him up. Yuvraj is useless in the longer form of the game. Steve Waugh was also in his early 20s, not late 20s.
25 is mid twenties and not late 20's. Age is the last thing that could be brought up against Yuvraj since his fielding , intensity etc is excellent.He still has good 8 yrs left in him. And Yuvraj hasn't been playin nuff first class cricket thx to overdose of odis and his form in odis suggest that he is our best batsmen in lois so certainly our best batsmen should be given a run atleats in the longer version once more to prove his talent and he is dying to get there.
Age is the last thing that could be brought up against Yuvraj since his fielding , intensity etc is excellent.He still has good 8 yrs left in him.
Yes, Yuvraj can be a good substitute fielder in tests, i give you that.
And Yuvraj hasn't been playin nuff first class cricket thx to overdose of odis
Well tell him he's gonna have to play the longer version of the game and show his mettle before he deserves a spot in the test side.
and his form in odis suggest that he is our best batsmen in lois so certainly our best batsmen should be given a run atleats in the longer version once more to prove his talent and he is dying to get there.
ODIs are not tests or 3-4 day games. Yuvraj's form there is irrelevant. As i said, there was Mikey bevan- amazing ODI player, $hit in tests. Same with yuvraj.
Hypocricy about citing Yuvrajs test batting average has been uncovered so next time
What hypocrity ? Yuvraj has batted mostly on absolute flat pancakes for pitches for most of his test career. That is a fact.
bring up his technique
yes, lets discuss his technique. Guy has very little defensive techinque and a strong defensive technique is the BUILDING BLOCK of a strong test technique. ALL test players of success - be it slowpoke Dravid or rapid-fire Gilly, have excellent defensive techniques. Sehwag so far is the only exception to the rule i have seen.

I think he will eventually walk in the Test side. 4 gone in couple of years. You dont freaking have the replacement for them. We will see what he does. If I were him, i would have taken some county experience. Played some 3-day and 4-day games against good bowling in Ranji etc. Try play down a day or so. It is not about scoring runs. It is about attitude in the test. Can you hold it...... for session after session . Remember test match is equivallent of 5 ODI matches played one after other. Only difference is they bat twice. So they have to be twice as patient. Especially batting avg per wkt is 30+ something, some one has to hold the fort from one end. Rather than complaining and expecting Test slot, he should snatch it by proving himself in the FC games.

:hysterical::hysterical: JOKE OF THE DAY
If Yuvraj cant make into the test-team as a pure batsman ' date=' why not play him as an all-rounder ? [b']Kumble is 37 and will retire soon. Yuvraj , with a little more practice , can easily don the role of our lead-spinner.
Sorry Zubin Pepsi. What you said is no longer the joke of the day. Yuseless spinner replacing Kumble as "lead spinner role" in Test is now the Joke of the day :giggle:
Guest Yograj Singh
Sorry Zubin Pepsi. What you said is no longer the joke of the day. Yuseless spinner replacing Kumble as "lead spinner role" in Test is now the Joke of the day :giggle:
That Yograj Singh guy is a imposter. Dont take his comments seriously.Kumble has been our best bowler in the subcontinent.
Its not a joke and I am no imposter. If Sanath Jayasuriya can play till 26 as a spinner and then convert himself to a batsman who scored 10,000 runs in ODI cricket , why cant my son, still only 25 , be a world class spinner. I spoke Yuvraj last night and he said he has been taking classes from Bishen Singh Bedi on how to bowl good left-arm spin. I am sure he will shine as a bowler too.