Warne is better than Murali

Or at least the gap has narrowed after this series and unless Murali can bring about a tremendous performance in the second innings (if he gets a chance, which is unlikely), my opinion has certainly undergone a change. I used to rate Murali a hands down winner over Warne but there isn't much between them now. Even a decent performance like 7-8 wickets in the series @35 or so would have been okay but the claims to being the best in the world after being dismantled by the best team in their backyard takes a huge thumping. As for their performance against India, Warne's sucks but Murali's isn't anything out of the ordinary either.

but the claims to being the best in the world after being dismantled by the best team in their backyard takes a huge thumping.
Not disagreeing with you btw ( i too have undergone change in opinion a bit about Murali and the Aussies-who are fast becoming my favourite team,just for different reasons) but the above logic is flawed in my opinion. If the best player goes up against the best team, i don't see why his/her greatness is in question incase he fails. For one, he is in unchartered terrirtory by the very definition of the matchup. If there can be only one 'best' player and one 'best' team at any given point, then it means his nearest competition has not faced this level of challenge. So, it stands to reason then- how can the best of the best lose his tag/have it jeopardized if his nearest opposition has not even taken a test so hard. Take an academic analogy if you will - you and I are classmates through highschool/junior high. We are both chart-toppers in math classes but you've comprehensively beaten me in every single math final exam for the last 5 years.(pretend that you get 97-99 everytime, i get 90-93 everytime and the third best is in the low 80s). In final year,some govt. guy walks in class, asks the teacher who the 'best' student is in this class for math. The teacher obviously points to you, he wishes to have a few words with ya. He tells you there is an aptitude test for best math students from each class and the very high scorers will get scholarship for college. You take the test-but you bollox it up completely. So the 'best' in my class (ie, you) just got owned by this test. Does that mean suddenly the status-quo between you and me is in jeopardy ? That i may be best student afterall ? Sorry, but this is precisely what your logic implies and this is precisely what doesn't add up in my opinion.

He doesn't have any support, its not like they are scoring briskly against him - they are scoring at around 3rpo against Murli. So their general idea, is to score against the other bowlers and take it easy against Murli. In the case of Warne, Aus has always had sme of the best fast bowlers and because of that when Warnie comes on the batsmen sometimes have no other option but to score off him. Its never easy taking wickets as a spinner if the batsmen do not want to score off you ....

So the 'best' in my class (ie, you) just got owned by this test. Does that mean suddenly the status-quo between you and me is in jeopardy ? That i may be best student afterall ?
Maybe it won't clear cut that you are the best student overall, but neither would my claim to be the best be so strong because I botched up under pressure at a big stage, even though you did not get a chance to perform there. The distance between us would certainly become less. Moreover, if the third guy in class who scores in the 80s has done much better than me in that inter school competition, it does put my credentials to being the best at the top level in doubt.
He doesn't have any support, its not like they are scoring briskly against him - they are scoring at around 3rpo against Murli. So their general idea, is to score against the other bowlers and take it easy against Murli. In the case of Warne, Aus has always had sme of the best fast bowlers and because of that when Warnie comes on the batsmen sometimes have no other option but to score off him. Its never easy taking wickets as a spinner if the batsmen do not want to score off you ....
I agree with that but these have been completely miserable performances. Even Kumble managed to quell the Australian lineup in one series down under on his own without support, so one would have expected a half decent performance from someone with claims to be the best spinner of all time.
How did you conclude Warne is better than Murali based on 2 innings ?
Not just on the basis of two innings. He has an abysmal record in Australia even prior to this but then one could give some reasonable excuses like being at the start of his career or playing for the World XI instead of Sri Lanka. This was his chance to perform against the best and he turned in a truly insipid performance.

I am not supporting murali, but none of the subcontinental bowlers have done consistently well in Aus. As far, as the comparison goes, I have always rated warne a touch higher than murali, because Shane Warne's has been bowling on the pitches which are either pace bowler friendly or batsmen friendly (i.e In AUS). He has taken a near amount of wicket @ home and away. So he stands out in that criteria. But this does not make murali a bad performer/bowler. Murali has done better than Warne in ODI's. So, I'd say Warne is better than Murali in TESTS and other way around in ODI's.