If Dhoni is Injured

Dhondy

^ Laxman averaged 51 during the England series (and only 1 not out) ... pretty good when ur highest score is 54 for the tour . So the worst thing he is doing is making starts and not going on with them ... but if you watched the series you would see his timing , placement, footwork is still as good as ever ... I feel a big score is just around the corner with VVS. His last 10 tests he is averaging 40 with 1 century and 5 fifties. In SAF ... again Laxman didnt have a bad series ... he made 2 important fifties in quite difficult batting conditions . Laxman has been the victim of some absolutely freakish balls of late . If you dont believe me take a look at his dismissals in the 2nd innings of the Lords test and the 2nd innings of the Durban test last year. Im telling you a big score is around the corner for VVS . Also ... ask the Australians if they want VVS to come play in Australia ... :giggle:

Bharat, I know all that because I watched every ball of both the series. Only how did you figure that he was among the two best bats in test along with Ganguly at the moment was what I wanted to know. How can you tell us that he was better than Sachin in SA and England and better than Sachin and Karthik in England?

^ Ok fine ... Karthik probably above Laxman thats fine ... but based on the England series and the SAF series ... I am only going by what I see ... it seems Laxman looks comfortable out there but is just not capitalising on his starts. I was probably exagerating when I said he is our 2nd best but I would not drop Laxman based on his current form. He is batting well but just not capitalising on his starts ... I feel one century could break the shackles with Laxman and lead to a string of centuries ... but it is hard for a natural top order batsman to bat at 6. I would swap Ganguly and Laxman in the order, or a bit more radical idea is go with Laxman at 3 and Dravid at 5.

I would not drop Laxman based on his current form. He is batting well but just not capitalising on his starts ... I feel one century could break the shackles with Laxman and lead to a string of centuries ...
I agree. I would not drop Laxman either just because a young batsman has been pounding the door. But if Laxman will keep on thinking that a century is round the corner, and if that corner doesn't arrive in this series, I feel that he is in trouble!
but it is hard for a natural top order batsman to bat at 6. I would swap Ganguly and Laxman in the order, or a bit more radical idea is go with Laxman at 3 and Dravid at 5.
Ganguly had batted at #6 in all the three tests in SA. And after top-scoring in that series from that position he earned his place back at #5. Laxman could not outperform any other MO bat apart from Dravid in England too, and hence remains where he is. And did he not have a superb series batting at #6 in Australia in 03-04? So I don't think that excuse will hold much water. Laxman's future is right in his hands. If he slams tons in this series, he stays. Or else he might be in a spot of bother!

Yeah but I feel Ganguly bats better with the lower order whereas Laxman bats better with the top order. In 2003-04, his 2 best innings were batting at 5 and batting at 6 when the middle order completely collapsed (so there wasnt much difference between 3 and 6) . I just feel someone like Laxman who is capable of making big centuries should be batting higher.

And can't play the first Test, it does solve a hairy problem for the Indian "think tank" (more like a leaking loo). It does resolve the issue of what to do with Yuvraj's excellent form, the man at risk yet again, rather unfairly, being VVS Laxman. Dhoni was made to wear an aircast brace by the physio, and it looks like a sprain. I reckon he is out of the first Test. So Kartick keeps wickets and Yuvraj and Laxman both figure in the XI. Not what India wanted, but may not be the worst outcome.
Yeah but I feel Ganguly bats better with the lower order whereas Laxman bats better with the top order. In 2003-04, his 2 best innings were batting at 5 and batting at 6 when the middle order completely collapsed (so there wasnt much difference between 3 and 6) . I just feel someone like Laxman who is capable of making big centuries should be batting higher.
But he has batted at #6 in the majority of tests that he played. And Laxman had/has full opportunity to bat with Dhoni who isn't a tailender anyway! And Ganguly bats well with tail? That is a news. The guy never even takes a sharp single to protect the tailender
Nottingham.
Ahh okay. I went to Trent Bridge in the eighties to watch Notts and Lancs in B & H quarter or semi. Hadlee had only just come in with Notts struggling. Early on in his innings he put one right down Ian Foley's throat and he dropped it. Needless to say he went on to make the match winning innings. I'm not going to diss Foley, because the poor fella passed away after a routine op after being hit by the ball whilst batting:sad_smile:. Nice to 'meet' you man.:two_thumbs_up:
And can't play the first Test, it does solve a hairy problem for the Indian "think tank" (more like a leaking loo). It does resolve the issue of what to do with Yuvraj's excellent form, the man at risk yet again, rather unfairly, being VVS Laxman. Dhoni was made to wear an aircast brace by the physio, and it looks like a sprain. I reckon he is out of the first Test. So Kartick keeps wickets and Yuvraj and Laxman both figure in the XI. Not what India wanted, but may not be the worst outcome.
Well I feel it could be the best outcome. Karthik IMO is a better keeper than Dhoni and Yuvraj is better with the bat. So if Dhoni is injured Karthik gets to keep and Yuvraj gets to play.
Well I feel it could be the best outcome. Karthik IMO is a better keeper than Dhoni and Yuvraj is better with the bat. So if Dhoni is injured Karthik gets to keep and Yuvraj gets to play.
But opening the inning after keeping for an entire inning would be immensely taxing for Karthik. I would not want that to happen to the kid.

First of all, it would be unfair towards YS if we play VS. RS is too crude for the test. I would play YS and send him after before SG after SRT. So Kart Jaff Drav Tend Yuv Lux SG ... ... This will be awesome line up. Slowly, YS can take over SRT' is batting position. But right now protect YS from early 40 overs and send him in. Trouble is he has'nt played a 10 overs old ball even few dozen times in his career. It is not a joke. All I want to make sure is this tallent is not wasted. It is entirely upto RD, SRT and VVS to make sure that they take care of YS for first few games and this guy will do just fine. He he does fine then we have a chance to drop out of form middle order batsman (SRT, RD, SG or VVS). PLEASE FOR DELHI FAN'S SAKE dont bring back Sehwag. Let the poor guy rest till he grows some hair.:hysterical:

how much ICF $ will you guys give me if a I told you that RD will be 'rested' for th first Test :giggle:
All of it... besides I will stop watching cricket for entire year, quit all the forums the day he will retire or be dropped from the test. :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up: This money will be of no use to me anyway, I wished I had lot more to offer thou. Jokes apart, It will be honor to watch him again. I missed him hell of lot.:hatsoff: