That swing thing

Feed

Think Manoj Prabhakar and you think match-fixing. But before he was involved in the infamous match-fixing scandal, Prabhakar was that rare commodity in India: the swing bowler. This man could swing, and swing it big. Ask the top batsmen of the 1990s and they will agree. That is what Delhi have seen and appointed him their bowling consultant for this Ranji season. More...

Putting aside his match fixing deeds, MP was a terrific swing bowler and a dour opening bat. I can never forget how clueless he made the Saffies look on the '92 tour with his swing. I also witnessed his last international game at Kotla in person where Sanath absolutely killed him. First 2 overs for 33. Next 2 overs for 14 runs. BTW he bowled off spin in the latter 2 overs. Ultimate humiliation. IMO if he had been playing today, he would have been a 100% certainty in both our ODI and Test XIs. No doubt about it.

Manoj Prabhakar was a fantastic swing bowler. He and Kapil formed an excellent pair, though the two got a chance to play only towards the end of Kapil's career. While Kapil had the best outswinger of his times Prabhakar had the best inswinger of all Indian bowlers, even International that I have had the previlage to see. What I absolutely loved about Prabhakar's inswing was his use of the bowling crease. He would use it to a maximum and thats one tip I greatly used when I would bowl myself. Plus he was a fighter, never gave up. On the topic I can understand his pain today, both from a swing bowler as also a Delhi player. In his time(mid 80s to mid 90s) Delhi was a brilliant domestic team.

Plus he was a fighter, never gave up.
Remember his 100 with a broken nose against Walsh and Bishop at Mohali? But somehow I tend to remember this 'fighter' for his batting with Mongia against WI in an ODI. :mad: Edit - Now that I think of it he got injured in the 2nd innings and not while he made that 100. But still was a good effort.
Remember his 100 with a broken nose against Walsh and Bishop at Mohali?
Course I do Gambo. I also happen to remember Prabhakar running in furiously against Pakistan. He seemed to have that extra yard against Pakistan and kept giving maa-behan at them. I for one surely did not have any problems with that! :D
But somehow I tend to remember this 'fighter' for his batting with Mongia against WI in an ODI. :mad:
Yup, as do I. A filthy, gutless, disgusting, pathetic performance that should have had the selfish fcker booted from the team for good. Then again, what Jayasuriya did to him at the Kotla a couple of years after that display was poetic justice and pure karma. Complete embarrasssment and humiliation to a man who deserved nothing less for being a selfish swine who would rather play for himself and his milestones than for his team. If only Mongia had suffered the same punishment.