Tendulkar autobiography

Lord

Okay. You think that a coach should be a glorified ball thrower for catching practice (like what Duncan Fletcher seems to have been reduced to now). I feel that the coach should have responsibility for the overall team performance (including selection matters). You can leave it at that or keep questioning "why Mr X should be picked ahead of Mr Y"
John Buchanan 'coached' the Australian team of the late 90s to mid 2000s. What did Warne describe him as "one to get the teammates in and out of the team bus". This is cricket, not football. These are test cricket players and not u-14 players to be "coached". They already know their trade. Coach's business is to coordinate, give mental support, address slight technical effects and provide them overall guidance. India continued to play with the same bunch of seniors from 2007-2011 under kirsten as well. But they rose from strength to strength in this period. Why? Because Kirsten never "imposed himself". He instead respected the seniors for what they are. Andy Flower tried doing the same and what ahppened in the last Ashes?
I edited two posts in this thread and that's what Mr.Texan wants to discuss now :hmmmm2: yup once you run out of reasons and answers anything to deviate the topic :two_thumbs_up:
No, you tried to change their meaning. And then tried to play the line: "Hey, go see what I posted and how your reply is not appropriate". Bacche, tum is khel me maahir nahi ho.

Chappell didn't go for merit based selection .He tried to bring people he can control like youngsters like Yuvraj and tried to throw off seniors like Laxman even though they were performing He always leaked details to media behind players back. Now its revealed he tried to sack the captain by going behind his back If no player could discuss any issue with Chappall becoz they can't trust him how exactly is he helping the team. Its just bs that Chappall wanted wanted what's good for India.He was an egomaniac who tried to control the Indian team to his whims and screwed us in the process

John Buchanan 'coached' the Australian team of the late 90s to mid 2000s. What did Warne describe him as "one to get the teammates in and out of the team bus". This is cricket, not football. These are test cricket players and not u-14 players to be "coached". They already know their trade. Coach's business is to coordinate, give mental support, address slight technical effects and provide them overall guidance. India continued to play with the same bunch of seniors from 2007-2011 under kirsten as well. But they rose from strength to strength in this period. Why? Because Kirsten never "imposed himself". He instead respected the seniors for what they are. Andy Flower tried doing the same and what ahppened in the last Ashes?
Okay. What you think should be the role of a coach is different from what I think should be the role of a coach. I respect your views and you might have your justification for them. I have different views though. I think that in India, there is a need to rein in the "seniority" culture whereby seniors take their place for granted in the team. You can continue debating this point till the end of your day (I don't know which timezone you're in, but it's already way past midnight for me). I hope that you would respect that my views on the role of a coach are different and that I am entitled to have a differing view from yours.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/724467.html A good article on the "need to have coaches" in cricket.
Cricket didn't even have coaches when James was shaping his teams in the 1970s, let alone Chapman his in the 1910s. English cricket's first full-time professional coach was Micky Stewart, who took over as team manager for the 1986-87 tour of Australia. But Stewart and his generation of coaches were managers in name, not reality. They were more organisers than bosses. David Lloyd, who succeeded Stewart in the England job, put it like this: "The captain ruled the roost, he was the boss really, and you were there to support him. So I wouldn't cross either of the captains I worked with, Atherton or Stewart. Ian Chappell and Shane Warne, among others, believe that the cricket coach should be held in check rather than allowed to launch a power grab. At international level, in Warne's words, "the coach shouldn't be coaching." The coach can certainly help create the right environment. But the Warne-Chappell approach remains suspicious of interventionist technical coaching once players have reached Test level. They believe it must be the captain, not the coach, who runs the team on the field.
No' date=' you tried to change their meaning. And then tried to play the line: "Hey, go see what I posted and how your reply is not appropriate". Bacche, tum is khel me maahir nahi ho.[/quote'] First of all the meaning of that post didn change and I never said anything like "Hey, go see what I posted and how your reply is not appropriate" dont put words in my mouth. But its you who posted as if you never said Aussies dont do seniority preferance and then when I showed the post where you said that you've conveniently deviated the topic :haha: good work kiddo :nice:
Okay. What you think should be the role of a coach is different from what I think should be the role of a coach. I respect your views and you might have your justification for them. I have different views though. I think that in India, there is a need to rein in the "seniority" culture whereby seniors take their place for granted in the team. You can continue debating this point till the end of your day (I don't know which timezone you're in, but it's already way past midnight for me). I hope that you would respect that my views on the role of a coach are different and that I am entitled to have a differing view from yours.
Your viewpoint about "superiority" of coaches which was also same as Chappell's is proven to be ultimately a disastrous one by instances from history dude. That's all the point I am trying to make. Coaches who acted more as man managers are the ones who succeeded in the long run. Eg - John Wright, Gary Kirsten, John Buchanan (god knows what he did even in man management, but one thing is sure he just didn't have any authority in the team), to some extent Darren lehmann Those who advocated your style were in the long run failures: eg - Andy Flower, Greg Chappell, Mickey Arthur (as coach of Aus) Now let's analyze your statement
I think that in India, there is a need to rein in the "seniority" culture whereby seniors take their place for granted in the team.
There ISN'T a seniority culture in team India. There was such a culture some time back in the 90s. But not now. Not in the 2000s. Someone like Tendulkar was offered captaincy and "total control" over the team, but did he take it? No! Isn't that the best proof about absence of this seniority culture? Besides, every youngster in the team swears by his name. Someone like Virat Kohli went all the way and dedicated the win to Sachin. Why? Because of the respect for him. You won't get that respect by intimidation dude. Besides all you have is one year of bad performances in 2011 to apparently "justify" all these assertions of yours. While I have many years of sustained solid performances by the same senior bunch to negate all these. Without the seniors, India would NEVER had the run it had in 2007-2011, arguably the best run in its own cricketing history. Don't beleive me? Check the records.
First of all the meaning of that post didn change and I never said anything like "Hey, go see what I posted and how your reply is not appropriate" dont put words in my mouth. But its you who posted as if you never said Aussies dont do seniority preferance and then when I showed the post where you said that you've conveniently deviated the topic :haha: good work kiddo :nice:
Read that post again. Where does it say that Aussies give preference to senior players?? Munna, you need to revisit some English comprehension lessons.

Harbajan interview to India today Q: Your thoughts on what Sachin has said about Greg Chappell calling him a ring master, someone who destroyed the team's harmony, was keen and intent on dropping on a lot of seniors. A. Absolutely right you know whatever Sachin has said. I stand by him. Because Greg Chappell was wanted to be a leader and he wanted to drop lots of the senior players and in fact he was the person who wanted to try his best to take the team to the next level, I mean not upwards, but definitely downwards and he was quite successful doing that and he was one person who created lot of insecurity among the players. It was not a happy unit. Those two years were probably one of the sad periods of time to play cricket for BCCI. He was not the right sort of person to work for Indian team and we have lot of time told this to various people, lot of people at the authority but since his contact was for two years and he made sure those two years he utilised a lot of people and put his views forward whatever he wanted to say about the individual and the team and he got away with lot of things what he was doing wrong and it was absolutely disgrace how he was operating in the system. He used not just the players but lot of the senior media people to write his columns, to say whatever he wanted to say about the individuals. Those two years were probably the worst period of my cricketing career. Q. You are saying that lot of players were actually told the BCCI and those in power about what Greg Chappell was doing and yet the BCCI didn't take any step. A lot of the players actually went to BCCI, Sachin himself has written in the book that Greg shouldn't even travel to the World Cup. You also told a lot of people in the BCCI.* A. Lot of time we actually mentioned to lot of people who were in a way were powerful at that time and told them that we don't need a guy like him who is just trashing Indian cricket. He is not helping Indian cricket to grow but he was definitely digging a hole for all of us to fall into. He was quiet successful with that but obviously we are glad that after he left, we reunited ourselves as players, as unit and we went on to play some serious lot of cricket and we played lot better than what we played under him and we won some major trophies after that. We won abroad lot of test matches, lot of one-day series, lot of big competitions like 2007-2008 20-20 World Cup and 2011 World Cup. The same bunch of guys who he was recommending through media to the officials, "these guys are cancer in the team bla bla" whatever you know he said about us, the same guys went on to win two World Cups which obviously feels great and of course he was the man with the double face. He was the man you can't trust. Whatever he said, we never trusted him because we knew that everything he is saying is because he wants to show you a different face but he was leaking everything to the media and later whatever you are talking to him, everything was in the newspaper. Nothing was hidden. We are supposed to be one family. Once you are in one team and to protect each and everyone's trust when you are in the team. We should work as a team, we should work as a family but it was a very sad family. It was a very bad period, very very bad phase for Indian cricket and we all seniors wanted to make sure that we take the team to next level, play well, lift lots of trophies and of course there are lot of people expecting us to do well but unfortunately the kind of pressure we were going through, we couldn't do so. Q. Do you think that BCCI made a mistake by letting Greg Chappell continue despite the fact that such senior players as Sachin Tendulkar were not happy with them and most of the players were not happy with him. You complained to them as well. Shouldn't the BCCI fire him earlier before his tenure got over? A. It would have been great if they would have fired him at that point of time. That would have made us to grow faster because he by then in first six months of his tenure has damaged a lot of things. People were not believing what exactly we were saying because they actually felt that probably we guys are making mistakes and we don't like him because he projected himself that he is a strict master or guru and media made him so big that none of our Indian cricket have achieved what he has achieved which was untrue and we as players, we wanted to grow as players, as team, wanted to do well but things would have been better if he would have gone earlier. Whatever said and done, we were all relieved that he is going and once he is gone, you can see the results. In the same place we have reached different heights in cricket and in fact I would like to say that even when he was after Sourav, I was one guy who stood by Sourav and I put my career under threat by standing alone next to him but I am glad that people will realise that I was standing on the right side and we have not made any mistake but he was the guy who actually destroyed Indian cricket. Q. But in fact Sourav Ganguly spoke exclusively first to Headlines Today yesterday itself saying that he feels vindicated as well after Sachin Tendulakar coming out and backing what Sourav has said at that time as well. Greg has now come out saying today that Sachin's claims are untrue. He is making his words against Sachin. Do you think Greg Chappell is blatantly lying about what Sachin has written in his book? A. He is a liar, big liar. He has been lying to all of us and the whole India by saying very very bad things about the players and saying lot of things which should not have come out. We had lot of things to say about him but we as family, as individual as team thought it was not right for all of us to say. Few things are kept very secretly. He wanted to make comments, stories, create those stories and give it to the media so that we people get the bad name. This is not a shocking kind of thing Greg Chappell is saying he didn't offer this to Sachin, he didn't do this or that or whatever. You can talk to each and every individual and what kind of a person he was, I am sure he is going to react to Sachin's comment like that only that he never offered Sachin a captaincy. I don't know what he offered to who and I am definitely I can tell you whatever Sachin is saying, he is saying the truth because Sachin is a guy who is very honest about what he says and he will never lie. We told him this is what he is doing, Greg is trying to destroy the team and whatsoever but he never opened his mouth and he never said anything. But now Sachin is saying everything which we knew it earlier and it's great to see Sachin is coming out in his book and telling the whole world what exactly Greg Chappell was. That's our problem. We make people from abroad, whoever comes in India, we feel that they will do the best job for India as coach but somewhere we need to realize that we have got enough talent, we have got enough people who can e coach, who can be with the team and take the team to a different level because I remember Lalchand Rajput was a coach of Indian cricket team and we won series in Australia and more than seven 20-20 World Cup which was probably the biggest series abroad and we are winning a lot of test matches now abroad. Robin Singh is one the guys who has really done very well as a coach, Lalchand Rajput and there are many more. We have produced so many great players within ourselves and they can do the job. Why do we need to hire people like Greg Chappell? Basically, we are telling the whole world that we do not have people but anyway coming to Greg Chappell, he was the man with two-faces. Now, he will protect himself by saying that Sachin is lying, Bhajji is laying and everyone else is lying and he is telling the truth.* Q. Do you think that Greg Chappell should apologise? He has been very brazen despite the fact that he as you said that he took the Indian cricket downwards. There were so many problems, performances had hit rock bottom. The 2007 World Cup is a nightmare for most Indian fans. Do you think Greg Chappel must apologise not just for that but for also like today he has come out and called Sachin Tendulkar a liar? Do you think he should apologize to Sachin? A. We don't need his apology. Whatever damage he has done at that point of time, it took us four years to bring it back. Because I think in 2007, we had such a great team and would have ended up winning the World Cup. Everybody was so ensure of their own place. There was so much of insecurity among the players. Nobody was believing each other and you didn't know which player was going behind whom and taking to Greg Chappell. There was no trust in the team so damage has been done. Whether he says sorry or not, it's not going to change anything but glad he not working within the team, with the team or with the cricket board anymore and I hope we keep him as far as possible that he should not even come close to the Indian cricket and we have a great Indian cricket team which is doing well. Without him, we will do much better and we apologize or not he is not the right guy. Q. How was Greg Chappell to you personally because there were instances where Sachin has mentioned in his book what he said to him and what he did to Sourav Ganguly and even an instance about him threatening almost a senior player like VVS Laxman. Can you share your personal experience with Greg Chappell? Did he do anything to unsettle you to anything untowards towards you? A. He knew that I am the main player of the team. In one of the games where I took five wickets for 11 runs, in one of the test matches in Jamaica on the first day itself but he never came up to me and said a word. But, other guys who had taken one or two wickets, he went to them and said well done to them and that shows he never liked me and somehow he got to know that I have read his mail, what he was writing about Sourav to BCCI at that point of time in Harare from where it started actually. I was the next to next one to go up and bat. I was next one sitting and watching this cricket while Sourav and other guys were batting inside and actually he just left his computer open and I just saw the whole mail what he was writing to lot of the mediaperson and to BCCI about Sourav and I went up to Sourav and told him I have seen it with my own eyes. I have read it and Sourav was quite shocked because Sourav felt he is the guy in Indian cricket and to take the team to next level but unfortunately it was other way around. He was actually destroying Sourav and Indian cricket and lot of other people of the team and he actually destroyed my confidence, every time I bowled well and never appreciated me and he was actually waiting for the chances to remove all of us and he wanted his way but it didn't happened that way but he tried his best to do whatever he can but he did damage Indian cricket in a way where it took us a long time to recover and come back and start winning the game. Q. There is a mention about you as well in Sachin Tendulkar's book. You must be excited to get your hands on that since Sachin is a huge role model of yours? A. Obviously it is going to be a very exiting book. All I can say that it's coming from Sachin's heart. He is one guy we always respected a lot and he is one guy we have all grown up playing cricket with him and we have learnt a lot and he is a very honest guy. All I can say is that it would be a very very good book, a very honest book and I wish this book will go a long way and people will actually know a lot of stories about Sachin, a lot of stories from him. It will all be true stories because we know that he is a man very very true and I stand by him.*

Read that post again. Where does it say that Aussies give preference to senior players?? Munna' date=' you need to revisit some English comprehension lessons.[/quote'] Thank you so much for your advice but where did i say it says Aussies give preference to senior players ? Texan at his best :cantstop:
Thank you so much for your advice but where did i say it says Aussies give preference to senior players ? Texan at his best :cantstop:
LOL. Please ask your English teacher to read it for you and explain it. Seriously lacking in English comprehension skills.

Merit Based Selection..!! What does that mean? Can any one tell precisely. Hope it was that easy as people are making it out to be. I have a formula for merit based selection. 1. Pick 8 highest run-getters from last concluded domestic season 2. Pick 6 highest wicket takers from last concluded domestic season 3. Pick 2 WK's with highest dismissals from last concluded domestic season We have a team of 16. Get rid of selection committee and coach. We have absolutely merit based selection. No role for seniority or your past performances. Hope all Chappell supporters would agree with this approach.

LOL. Please ask your English teacher to read it for you and explain it. Seriously lacking in English comprehension skills.
No need I know what I posted and I did read your posts before I replied Pls read our converation again if your not sure. I do need learn from you on how to deviate conversation :giggle:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/796415.html He was dropped in that series for Yuvraj after the first test. http://www.espncricinfo.com/indveng/engine/current/match/238187.html I am at a loss to understand how Yuvraj was considered "more meriotious" than Laxman?
Okay. I see that you want to take it ahead with the "why was Mr X preferred over Mr Y" debate. I do not want to get into individual selection matters made on xx/xx/xxxx date when circumstances were not the same as they are today. I have already explained my views to you on the role I feel a coach should play. I understand that you have a different perception. I can explain to you that the role I see a coach play has also been successful, but I see it as a futile attempt and a waste of time. You can keep your views and I will keep mine. You can post 1001 articles to support your views and I can post as many and neither will change their views. So, as I said earlier, I respect your views and expect that you would respect that I have a view that is different from yours.