Tendulkar autobiography

Lord

Its nonsense that's only India clings on to seniors and its our culture . Most teams in most sports do that .Aussies in the 90s and early 2000 didnt becoz they had a greater conveyance belt . Now they aren't producing any great batsmen anymore they clinging onto even mediocre ones for too long

Nothing is so black and white.Chappell Did some good work and the direction he wanted the team to go was good but his methods were too dictatorial.He shook the seniors and he saved some careers like sehwag' date=bhajji and even ganguly who got too complacent.Chappell had problems with every side even australian side seniors like ponting he is too big a ego to cooperate i feel.I do not believe sachin should have said anything about the conversation,he too would have had many its human nature.
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Shook? What shake? Sehwag was averaging nearly 56 when Chappell took over. I don't understand how this translates as complacency? And how exactly those numbers need a "saving" from Chappell? In fact, his performances started going down once Chappell took over and started his tinkering with seniors. By the time Chappell left, Sehwag's average was below 50, shows what kind of effect he had on Sehwag's career. The extent to which people lie to justify Chappell is astounding. "I do not believe sachin should have said anything about the conversation,he too would have had many its human nature." - Does this even make sense? What is human nature? To conspire behind a captain's back against him?
Oh come on. Isn't it time to quit this "Whatever Aussies do is great" logic? In Ponting's last 6 years of cricket, he averaged exactly 40 with the bat from 59 test matches. Six whole years. I don't know which Indian senior got that much of a leeway? And please don't tell me 40 is a great average to justify the continued selection of a no.3 for six years. During these 6 years, Australia were decimated twice in India, lost the Ashes twice at home and away, lost twice to South Africa, heck even were held to a draw by New Zealand at home. Neat logic eh?
That average of 40 is only half of the story. If you take out an innings of 209 against Pakistan, where he was dropped (easiest of the catches) when he was at 0 and his centuries against pathetic and demoralized Indian bowling when India toured them last time, his numbers would look absolutely abysmal. Once cushion of terrific opening pair - Langer and Hayden and confidence of best bowling pair of McGrath and Warne had gone, Ponting was very average. In fact this phase raised question marks about Ponting being ATG. He was mediocre before 2001 - when Australia was not a dominant force- and his number are mediocre post 2007, again when Australia ceased to be a dominant side. In phase of 2001-07 his average would be 70+ easily, but in that phase every one in Australian side was doing similar things
Oh come on. Isn't it time to quit this "Whatever Aussies do is great" logic? In Ponting's last 6 years of cricket, he averaged exactly 40 with the bat from 59 test matches. Six whole years. I don't know which Indian senior got that much of a leeway? And please don't tell me 40 is a great average to justify the continued selection of a no.3 for six years. During these 6 years, Australia were decimated twice in India, lost the Ashes twice at home and away, lost twice to South Africa, heck even were held to a draw by New Zealand at home. Neat logic eh?
Since 2006, Harbhajan Singh's bowling average was 37.45. Away from home, it was even worse (40+). Let's not even talk about Ishant Sharma. Even the great SRT could not score a single 100 in his last 23 Tests, a span of almost 3 years. During the second part of the 0-8 drubbing, in Australia, we had Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma warming the benches and watching all the great senior players getting owned by the Aussies and they did not even get to play a single Test.
Its nonsense that's only India clings on to seniors and its our culture . Most teams in most sports do that .Aussies in the 90s and early 2000 didnt becoz they had a greater conveyance belt . Now they aren't producing any great batsmen anymore they clinging onto even mediocre ones for too long
Exactly! But oh, Australian way is the best na? We should all adapt to Aussie way of life. By clinging to old guys for a generation till 2007-08, Australia has decimated the next generation and is suffering from "transition" ever since. The only Australian batsmen to average above 50 out of 13 batsmen with over 1000 runs, in the last 7 years (since Ashes 2006-07) are Simon Katich (50) and Clarke (53). And nine out of these 13 average below 41. If this is the "successful Aussie way", then I'd not like to subscribe to that.
Can Texan please also tell why Australia is continuing to open with Chris Rogers even though his age (37) is greater than his batting average (36)?
Do you expect me to justify every team member they have picked since 1877? The point as it appears to me was that Chappell wanted to discipline seniors and pick them only on merit. But that seems to have offended those seniors.
That average of 40 is only half of the story. If you take out an innings of 209 against Pakistan' date=' where he was dropped (easiest of the catches) when he was at 0 and his centuries against pathetic and demoralized Indian bowling when India toured them last time, his numbers would look absolutely abysmal. Once cushion of terrific opening pair - Langer and Hayden and confidence of best bowling pair of McGrath and Warne had gone, Ponting was very average. In fact this phase raised question marks about Ponting being ATG. He was mediocre before 2001 - when Australia was not a dominant force- and his number are mediocre post 2007, again when Australia ceased to be a dominant side. In phase of 2001-07 his average would be 70+ easily, but in that phase every one in Australian side was doing similar things[/quote'] Ponting is an All time Home track bully. And he failed to fire when his team needed him the most, i.e in the last six years of his career. See, I can understand teams giving leeway to a player for one year or two, if the player has such a brilliant record and there are extraneous reasons. But six whole years of persistence? When he was being treated like a joke by the likes of Ishant Sharma etc? Australia were purely lucky to get a few greats at the same time (end of 90s) which propelled them to unbelievable successes. The fact that they have failed to unearth even ONE decent batsman in the last 7 years is enough proof of how bad their system is.
Since 2006, Harbhajan Singh's bowling average was 37.45. Away from home, it was even worse (40+). Let's not even talk about Ishant Sharma. Even the great SRT could not score a single 100 in his last 23 Tests, a span of almost 3 years. During the second part of the 0-8 drubbing, in Australia, we had Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma warming the benches and watching all the great senior players getting owned by the Aussies and they did not even get to play a single Test.
Was Ishant Sharma a senior player ? Is Bhajji still playing ? You still believe in your only in India argument ? If so whats your take on Ponting's selection in his last few years
This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Shook? What shake? Sehwag was averaging nearly 56 when Chappell took over. I don't understand how this translates as complacency? And how exactly those numbers need a "saving" from Chappell? In fact, his performances started going down once Chappell took over and started his tinkering with seniors. By the time Chappell left, Sehwag's average was below 50, shows what kind of effect he had on Sehwag's career. The extent to which people lie to justify Chappell is astounding. "I do not believe sachin should have said anything about the conversation,he too would have had many its human nature." - Does this even make sense? What is human nature? To conspire behind a captain's back against him?
Its not about statistics.I was talking about things like fitness,attitide, and sehwag was going downhill and the cushion of being senior and taking place for granted was showing.I do not credit any coach for individual performances of players in most cases.Guys like bhajji,ganguly,sehwag needed to be dropped and they were . We say many things while in a conversation .If sachin was so hurt he should have come public at that time why did he take the risk of a disastrous wc campaign if he knew this was kind of atmosphere prevailing so why come out now.As i said chappell is a egocentric person he is no saint but he did some good things too particularly with guys like dhoni,raina and getting young players involved.he should only coach u-19 teams.
Do you expect me to justify every team member they have picked since 1877? The point as it appears to me was that Chappell wanted to discipline seniors and pick them only on merit. But that seems to have offended those seniors.
But you said the aussies dont select on the basis of seniority
None of these players were persisted with for six years however. Macha, I asked you why Ponting was persisted with for over 6 years when he was decidedly down the hill? Why are you giving me examples of Ishant Sharma in this context? What sense does that make? Seems like you are just evading my question on Ponting by resorting to irrelevant stuff like Harbhajan's form and Ishant's form. Sachin's worst period came after his greatest high (Apr 2011) and there is no doubt in my mind that he should have hung up his boots after that. But yeah he lingered for 2 more years - but bowed out once he realized he was past it. Two years is standard "testing time" for a player of his calibre. 2011 was a catastrophe. However, how many of us really expected that all our seniors and juniors would underperform like that at that time? Come on. Laxman, Sachin, Sehwag etc all were coming off a brilliant 4 years prior to that, and along with the World cup win, there was little reason to suspect that we would be whitewashed. In fact I remember many commentators putting India as favorites for both tours. Don't take the power of hindsight and now discredit the seniors. Funny that you mention Rahane and Rohit. What did they average in the last series again? Oh and please give me what was "young gun" Kohli's numbers as well.
i did not ask you to justify "every" player's selection. I merely responded to your statement that "Australia does not persist with underperforming seniors" with the examples of Ponting and Rogers. Now please tell me, how'd you justify Ponting's 6 years of selection? How'd you explain Rogers opening the batting?
Was Ishant Sharma a senior player ? Is Bhajji still playing ? You still believe in your only in India argument ? If so whats your take on Ponting's selection in his last few years
1. No, but the same mentality applies today as well 2. Bhajji struggled with poor form for an extremely long period. Read my earlier post about how much we tend to persist with non-performers for a very very long time. Even Ganguly was struggling to get any runs when Chappell made the suggestion that he step down. 3. If I am not mistaken, Ponting was still getting 100s till the year he retired. I think he also played a crucial role in a 4th innings chase in SA which Aus eventually won by 2 wickets. I don't think SRT got a single 100 in the last 3 years of his Test career.
How'd you explain Rogers opening the batting?
It's not because they haven't tried, but he seems to be the best they have right now. When we persisted with non-performing seniors over 0-8 drubbing, we had two batsmen warming the benches but not played. Now, can you explain why that was the case?
Funny that you mention Rahane and Rohit. What did they average in the last series again? Oh and please give me what was "young gun" Kohli's numbers as well.
Were they given a chance when everyone else was hopeless? And as for Rahane, you can look at his away record and he has done fairly well.