Sachin top scores in a 200+ 4th innings chase !

Ram

I don't think I mentioned about sachin protecting ganguly... it was probably a plot sorted out by the two greats... if the plot was a bit different, it could have been ganguly protecting sachin...that's all. Well, when they do some things on the field, it would obviously have eked out of their immense experience. We may not the suitable people to teach/criticize such greats who have played more than 250 tests between themselves...

Its Official : Bumper has a problem with Sachin. He just cant stand any sort of credit being given to him. :D Proof : Bumps accusing me of being sensationalist when evidently , there was nothing sensationalist about my OP. I was just merely highlighting a FACT. Hard luck Bumps, for India's sake atleast, Lets all hope Sachin keeps making you feel bad in the coming months :D
Its none of that. Folks who posted with me on the old board would have thought that i had similar issues with Ganguly. Back then, Ganguly was hardly performing & was unfairly milking his captaincy to secure himself a spot in the team. Today dada is performing & you dont see any criticism from me on dada. The only thing you would have read me posting on dada is praise and backing. Dada back then was dropped & rightly so & it has done wonders for him as a batsman. Today, Sachin has taken over dada's spot. As an Indian fan, it will pain me no matter who it is (be it Sachin or Dravid or Ganguly or Laxman), riding on past performances and stardom, unfairly keeping out youngsters hoping to break into the team. To me, performance must be the sole criteria to play in the team, personalities come later. Though, small considerations must/can be made for select individuals. But that must have a definite performance & timeline criteria attached to it. On my post Re: OP, the sensationalism bit was based on my general impression reading the front page of the board. I saw atleast 4-5 threads singing hosannas on Sachin. Why so much noise for a 50 ? Why not the same noise for other players ? If Sachin makes big contributions with the bat consistently, you will see the criticism he cops automatically wane.

Because this 50 came at a time when we were 3/93 ... based on what happened in the first innings and our history with run chases it could have easily gone worse from there ... especially with Shoaib and Tanvir bowling well. Also this was something he has been criticised before in the past ... that his scores havent been matchwinning, and he hasnt done well in a 4th innings run chase of any significance, or he hasnt won us the match in the 4th innings when we were in trouble. He was batting with a player who was not a noted player against pace bowling and he stonewalled against Pakistans quickest ... which allowed Ganguly to score freely against Kaneria. Then once Shoaib started to wilt he took Pakistan to the cleaners. Jaffer's innings was very important too, but the matchwinning partnership in the 4th innings was the Ganguly-Tendulkar partnership, and the match-winning innings in the 4th innings was Tendulkar's.Its pretty stupid to say its just a 50 ... we were chasing 203 and he came in at 3/93 ... its not like he could have scored a triple century. In any case ... Sachin is not solely riding on past performance. In 2004, he averaged 91.5 in Tests In 2005, he averaged 44.4 in Tests In 2006, he averaged 24.27 in Tests In 2007, he averaged 56.09 in Tests ... so basically he had 1 bad year due to injury. Now if you discount Bangladesh, his average this year has been 40.33, so its not like he is doing nothing and relying on past performance only.

now, that's better... I heard on some news channel sometime ago. It was when sachin was taking rest after tennis-elbow operation. Why don't selectors take sachin only for his batting? His mere presence out there is good enough. Does anybody think of a name that can replace 75% of Sachin?

Because this 50 came at a time when we were 3/93 ... based on what happened in the first innings and our history with run chases it could have easily gone worse from there ... especially with Shoaib and Tanvir bowling well. Also this was something he has been criticised before in the past ... that his scores havent been matchwinning, and he hasnt done well in a 4th innings run chase of any significance, or he hasnt won us the match in the 4th innings when we were in trouble. He was batting with a player who was not a noted player against pace bowling and he stonewalled against Pakistans quickest ... which allowed Ganguly to score freely against Kaneria. Then once Shoaib started to wilt he took Pakistan to the cleaners. Jaffer's innings was very important too, but the matchwinning partnership in the 4th innings was the Ganguly-Tendulkar partnership, and the match-winning innings in the 4th innings was Tendulkar's.Its pretty stupid to say its just a 50 ... we were chasing 203 and he came in at 3/93 ... its not like he could have scored a triple century. In any case ... Sachin is not solely riding on past performance. In 2004, he averaged 91.5 in Tests In 2005, he averaged 44.4 in Tests In 2006, he averaged 24.27 in Tests In 2007, he averaged 56.09 in Tests ... so basically he had 1 bad year due to injury. Now if you discount Bangladesh, his average this year has been 40.33, so its not like he is doing nothing and relying on past performance only.
Don't even go there, they have a stock of mindless stats without context and will use it ad nauseam.
Don't even go there' date=' they have a stock of mindless stats without context and will use it ad nauseam.[/quote'] I feel for Sachin 'coz of you guys Anakin, how many he had to withstand... the thing is that the nice comments on his performance don't make it big... but even a small criticism has the potential to become a neg spot on his career... such is the stature of this man... @swetabh: LOL
I feel for Sachin 'coz of you guys Anakin, how many he had to withstand... the thing is that the nice comments on his performance don't make it big... but even a small criticism has the potential to become a neg spot on his career... such is the stature of this man... @swetabh: LOL
Not sure what you meant, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree yaar.
Not sure what you meant' date=' but I think you're barking up the wrong tree yaar.[/quote'] ooooops I think you are right that I am posting just my opinions without having, what this post is about, in my mind. However, the title of the post just suggests a stat that was observed on the day's play, not to state the greatness of the player... Isn't it true that Sachin top-scored in a 200+ chase...