Krish Srikkanth Answers Your Questions !

Ram

On behalf of Indian cricket fans all over the world , we are delighted to welcome Former India Captain Krishnamachari Srikkanth to ICF , the official home of the true Indian cricket Enthusiast. An important part of the now legendary 83 world cup winning team, Srikkanth's attacking batsmanship has vowed many a cricket follower. Now, Thanks to Hari Sampath, one of the valued members of ICF , we now have Srikkanth himself answering questions that were posed to him by the members of ICF. From the large number of questions that were polled , We have pruned that list to a select few , to be answered by the man himself. So, here they are. 1. Why is that we have not been able to make it clear in the domestic circle itself that fitness and fielding is the most important thing in modern cricket? Is it difficult to have say 4 common fitness training centers in the 4 regions of the country so that even before player makes it to the game at First Class level, he gets his training done at this center, so that he has the basic understanding of fitness level he needs to maintain all the time. 2. Srikkanth, you were always known as a reflexive impulsive stroke player. Please tell us, what does it it take for an opener like you to make a decision on shot decision, and how long do you have really against Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Imran ,Lawson etc...enough time to evaluate team interests or just is it instcinct ? 3. During your stint as coach of the Indian u19's and India 'A' sides, who were the most talented youngsters you managed ? 4. You were once hit by Wasim Akram and I have heard from my cousins that after that you were never a same player against him, relunctant to play your strokes. Is this true? 5. Cheeka, i have seen you play the same way, whether you played for Alwarpet or Tamil Nadu or for India (facing the most hostile fast bowlers back then). Did you ever feel the need to adjust your approach (as modern day cricketers seem to do) ? 6. You had an unique batting stance. Any specific technical reasons for spreading your legs so wide ? 7. Who was the most fearsome bowler you ever faced, the kinda bowler that would make you wonder, how am i gonna get through his spell ? 8. Just wanted to let you know, you are in the top 5 of my all-time odi players in the world, just for the way u revolutionized odi opening. I still remember the time when you hooked Imran out of the ground, after he explicitly set u up for that, by setting a fielder or two there and did follow it up with an express bouncer. Could you talk us through that. 9. Who is the fastest bowler u have faced. Who is the most effective bowler you have faced. 10. You were pretty successful as a captain. Could you give us the real reason for your ouster. 11. As a captain or coach, you would like to have 130kph line and length bowlers in your team or 145kph express tear-aways who lag a little in control. 12. Do you still have hopes of becoming the indian team coach. I know, u did pretty well with the U19. Infact, was it you who first identified Agarkar as an exceptional talent. 13. who would you like to partner opening the batting in an odi with - Gavaskar, Sehwag or Tendulkar. 14. Why has TamilNadu cricket gone downhill since the 80s, when it had yourself, VB, LS etc. 15. How fast do you think Kapil bowled at his peak? 16. You were a swashbuckling batsman in an era where a RR of 4 runs was considered electric fast. In fact , you could even be considered as a pioneer of the art of attacking batsmanship in one-day cricket . What was your idea behind such an approach ? Was it a conscious decision to attack or just your normal game ? 17. Who would you consider the best batsman ,bowler and captain of your era ? 18. During the world cup 1983 final , what was the mood of the team during the lunch break ? As one of the architects of two of India's greatest one-day triumphs , what are your thoughts on those incidents now ? 19. Any funny personal anecdote that you can share with the readers ? 20. What is your take on Kumble being appointed as the Captain of the Indian cricket team at the age of 37 ? Do you feel the mantle should have been passed on to some one who is younger ? 21. Yuvraj Singh has been knocking on the doors of the test-team for a while now. Do you think its time to induct him into the team , looking past the claims of players of Laxman and maybe even Ganguly ? 22. Do you think Indian cricket should move away from preparing spin-friendly tracks at home and prepare ones with more pace and bounce ? A lot has been said and claimed on this issue but we havent seen much progress. 23. It has been said that Tamil Nadu has always got the rough end of national selections. Despite having a very vibrant cricket culturs , TN's share of Indian cricketers hasnt been as high as say Mumbai or Karnataka. Your views on the subject ? 24. Anirudh is coming up the ranks now , Is he a better batsman than Dad ? 25. I think of you as the original 20/20 player. Great strokeplayer and an excellent fielder who could turn his arm for a couple of quick overs. Do you think you were a little ahead of time? And would you have liked to play in T20? 26. I remember a LOI in which you hit Marshall for successive four and then a six(or was it six and then a four?) and was bowled off the 3rd delivery(the good old radio days). How would you rate Malcolm Marshall as bowler and what would be your top 5 best bowlers list look like? 27. As a player who was a very vital member of 80s Indian team and also the member of 1983 World Cup, 1985 WSC, 86 Rothamans Cup etc. how would you describe Kapil and playing alongside him? 28. How can we make our domestic cricket more competitive so that players coming out of it are finished articles and not stagnated ones? What changes would you recommend to make it more interesting, successful and competitive? 29. What was your favorite cricket ground? 30. Cheeka, is it true that an Aussie journalist coming to interview you after your 100 in the Sydney test found you , just clad in a towel, climbing over your fifth floor window ledge trying to retrieve a fallen cigarette ? 31. Although you have gone on record having said the best moment in the 1983 WC finals was when you smoked on the Lord's balconey, can you tell us which was the best moment in your batting/innings ? 32. You were probably the only ever Indian captain to be assaulted on a cricket field in a test match in karachi, by a spectator. What did it do to your morale and the team's morale in the context of charged atmosphere between our 2 countries in those days ? 33. As you had been successful in Australia more than other countries, how do you view are India's strengths and what should be our approach down under ? 34. You have played so many times against some of the best Aussie teams and Pakistan teams, what are your views on sledging both in your playing days and now ? 35. You are probably the only cricketer to run an entire run backwards at Lord's in a WC finals, what makes you do such atrocious things ? So, without much further ado , Lets all wait as the Original Swashbuckler himself personally answers these questions.

Ok ,fellas here is the Deal. I just spoke to Hari and Srikkanth himself. Seems Srikkanth is a bit busy now and wont be able to answer the questions right away. But more importantly, he told me that he had spoken to Hari about ICF and is willing to explore the possibility of a tie-up between his web-site ( krishcricket.,com) and ICF. I leave it to the Mods to decide on how the co-operation could pan out from now on. His e-mail id , which he personally gave me is **** We could contact him through this.

I am very happy to know about Indian Cricket fans and your forum. hari is a longtime and very good friend of mine and he has also asked me to have some kind of linkup with your forum and my own website. As I am very much rushed for time right now, I have to rush to a few meetings, and I don't have the time to answer all these questions immediately. However, I promise to do so in the next few days whenever I can snatch an hour or so. I have also told this to Sriram by phone and have asked him to email me. I would not mind somekind of association with your forum and my own website krishcricket.com, perhaps we can have a joint session as well. Once again thank you for takig the trouble to contact me,and also for fans in USA to stay awake in the middle of the night, sorry about not having enough time today. Surely sometime soon.. Please preserve these questions ( very good ones though) and I shall answer all of them. All the best to India cricket fans website ! Cheeka.

Cheeka, i have seen you play the same way, whether you played for Alwarpet or Tamil Nadu or for India (facing the most hostile fast bowlers back then). Did you ever feel the need to adjust your approach (as modern day cricketers seem to do) ?
I had always played cricket right from schooldays, in order to entertai spectators, and it didn't matter to me what level it was. I played cricketto enjoy the game myself. nly regret is I lost my wicket in 20s and 30s which I could have converted to bigger scores.
Cheeka, is it true that an Aussie journalist coming to interview you after your 100 in the Sydney test found you , just clad in a towel, climbing over your fifth floor window ledge trying to retrieve a fallen cigarette ?
Could be true . I have always enjoyed my cigarettes and would do anything for it...must have been my last remaining cig
Yuvraj Singh has been knocking on the doors of the test-team for a while now. Do you think its time to induct him into the team , looking past the claims of players of Laxman and maybe even Ganguly ?
Yuvraj certainly deserves a place in the Indian playiing 11. Because of Ganguly's return, he is probably unfortunate not to find a place in the 11. But he should certainly play, and maybe will very soon.