Random Stat

Guest BossBhai

It is not an amazing stat. It only proves that Kapil Dev bowled almost alone, while Wasim paired with Imran, Waqar, Shoaib etc who shared the top wkts. Also, Spinners come in late, so their top order wkts will almost always be lesser than pace bowlers. Anil Kumble is likely to have more than Warne because in Warne's case, McGrath or Lee invariably took top order wkts on an average. It only proves that Kumble bowled in a team which had inferior pace bowling than Warne's.

[B]Bowler             Wkts    Wkts1-4  Wkts5-8  Wkts9-11   Top%   Middle%   Lower% [/B]
SK Warne              708    225    293    190    31.78    41.38    26.84
M Muralitharan     704    249    293    162    35.37    41.62    23.01
A Kumble              573    219    220    134    38.22    38.39    23.39

By the end of this series Anil Kumble would have caught up with the Druggie for most TopOrder wkts in about 25 less test matches .... :smokin:

Al though Im proud of what Kumble has done and I think he is a great bowler but the reason Warnie didnt take more wickets against the top order was because they had Great opening bowlers unlike India ...:hatsoff:
While that might be true ... it gives a different perspective on AK's overall performance ... i.e its far more difficult to get a set top order batsman out ... than to work on lesser batsman fresh at the crease. Even with that handicap AK has more wkts to his name at a comparitive stage. Thats the point that I am trying to make.
Good point ...I agree .. Plus it also means that he is under a lot more pressure than Warne ...
Kumble's record is getting better and better since he turned 34, which is a remarkable performance. He has atleast another year of international cricket left in him. Me thinks he will end up with around 660 wickets, which is a staggering feat.
I feel its like that with all spinners. Great spinners are like fine wines ... they get better with age. Warne, Muralitharan, Kumble are examples.