India old and selfish : Chappell

bharat297

[h2]India old and selfish, says former coach Greg Chappell[/h2] MANY of India's cricket superstars are well past their best and need to be replaced by fresh faces for the coming tour of Australia, former coach Greg Chappell has warned. Chappell's honest opinion has poured cold water on the hopes of many cricket fans that the Indians would provide a more competitive series against the Australians in an already dull summer of cricket. The legendary Australian batsman and ex-captain has been publicly critical of India's reluctance to embrace a youth policy, but is likely to be ignored -- again -- today when the selectors show their hand. Having installed 37-year-old spin bowler Anil Kumble as captain, they look certain to extend the careers of star batsmen Sachin Tendulkar, 34, Sarouv Ganguly, 35, Rahul Dravid, 34, VVS Laxman, 33, and perhaps Virender Sehwag, 29. Spinner Harbhajan Singh, 27, who was dropped from the recent successful tour of England, will be recalled, while pace bowler Zaheer Khan, 29, will continue on. The squad about to be announced is for a three-Test series against Pakistan, but it is unlikely any of the big names will be missing when the team arrives here. Chappell said yesterday that they would "find it hard in Australian conditions against a committed opposition" -- in other words, he expects them to be well-beaten. It is a depressing thought for anyone hoping for a more competitive series than Sri Lanka has been able to provide so far. Chappell, who is at the centre of a storm in India over his claims this week that an assault in an airport might have been racially motivated, is no fan of the administration and selection systems after two tumultuous years as coach. He was reluctant to pour fuel on the fire yesterday, but sources have told the Herald Sun that he believes a culture of political back-scratching is partly to blame for the reluctance to address the problem of a group of selfish, fading stars growing old together. The princely Ganguly, a former captain who has often been seen as a law to himself, appears to have won a battle of wills and influence with Chappell, who has accused him of sabotage from within. The unhappy -- even poisonous -- nature of their relationship is revealed in Guru Greg, a candid and absorbing documentary about Chappell's incumbency which will be aired on ABC TV next Thursday. Chappell says in it that although Ganguly's support was probably one reason why he got the job, he told him to quit the captaincy and concentrate on his batting so that his career might be saved. "He decided he didn't like that advice and started working against me," Chappell says. Ganguly was dropped at one stage -- leading to effigies of Chappell being burned -- and then re-instated without consultation with the coach. The documentary does not quite capture the full depth of the ensuing breakdown in the relationship, with Ganguly believed to have recruited other players to resist Chappell's attempts to instil badly-needed discipline. Chappell says Ganguly may have thought, as is common in India, that if you do someone a favour they owe you for life -- but that wasn't how the Australian saw it. In the documentary, Chappell hints strongly at an attitude problem, especially at training. "If you waste any more time in the nets I'll scream," he says at one point. The reality, according to others who know, is that he could scarcely believe the lack of professionalism in terms of preparing for matches. Coming from the Australian system -- Chappell was previously coach of South Australia -- he was unprepared for it. When he first arrived, he was able to select younger players without interference, but came to realise that a new administration was more intent on shoring up its power bases than worrying about what went on out on the field. But when these officials eventually needed to be re-elected, favours were called in and selections began to look as if they were being compromised by the need to look after vested interests in high places -- especially sponsors. While that isn't spelled out in the documentary, Chappell's frustration at not being able to introduce fresh blood is. He says he was given the wrong team for the World Cup, which all of India believed they were destined to win. It was too old and was promptly beaten by a much younger Bangladesh in a massive upset and failed to progress past the first round. On return, Chappell resigned. "We came here with a flawed group and got the results we deserved," he said. "If there is not an intention of change, there's no point in me -- or any other coaches, for that matter -- getting involved. "It's very difficult to keep putting wallpaper over the cracks. The cracks have got big and the structure needs to be dealt with." Chappell said his attempts to get young legs and arms into the team "were actively resisted from within the team". Ironically, India triumphed in its most recent international engagement, the Twenty20 World Cup in South Africa -- with a young team. During his stay, Chappell was punched in the head at the airport, his wife Judy was pushed over and he was sued for defamation by the national Parliament -- although a judge quickly threw out the writ. But despite the disillusionment and the many frustrations, he is still trying to help a nation in which cricket is treated like a religion. He and long-term off-sider, former Victorian batsman Ian Frazer, have accepted a three-year job with the Rajasthan association, coaching teens. The president there, Lalit Modi, is also vice-president of the BCCI, and was one official who was impressed by their work with the national team. "He's got a bit of a vision for the future," says Chappell. "It may become the forerunner of restructuring Indian cricket. That's the challenge we've taken on. If they give us a free hand, which they are, I think we can set something up that will help them." http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22761885-11088,00.html

Greg Chappell would be here(working for Rajasthan cricket), seniors would be here(playing for Indian Down Under) so why this pre-mature debate? Let the series get over and then we will all know who was correct - Chappell or seniors. For now get some popcorn and enjoy this fist-fight. :D

Chappell said yesterday that they would "find it hard in Australian conditions against a committed opposition" -- in other words, he expects them to be well-beaten.
And your 15 year olds will make triple 100s? What an idiot. And if India lose(as expected by so many), this guy is going to proclaim himself as the second coming of Nostradamus. As if predicting a loss against OZ in OZ is showing incredible foresight.

Guru ghantall should concentrate on Rajasthan cricket for now, they have lost all three games by heavy margins. ****er ruined the golden genrations chance of winnning world cup now hes attacking the grass roots leval of cricket. **** OFF SNAKE.

So if we lose the series' date=' Chappell was right? On the other hand, if we send the "youngsters", and if they end up losing the series, chappell was wrong?[/quote'] In other words you are convinced that India would have lost the series, no matter what! Funny how the supporters of seniors keep shouting from the rooftops but never have the mental prowess to say Yes we are gonna win. Anyway let me break it down for you with regards to seniors(individually). Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar both have career average of 55 plus down under(give or take a few). I say I would be happy if these two gents score at around the same number. The lower they go from 55 the more I shall be unhappy, the higher they go the more the reason to feel happy about seniors? Fair? xxx
In other words you are convinced that India would have lost the series' date=' no matter what! Funny how the supporters of seniors keep shouting from the rooftops but never have the mental prowess to say Yes we are gonna win.[/quote'] Kidhar yaar? I am just thinking of the possibilities.. what led you to think that I am convinced we are gonna lose, I dont know... I am convinced we are gonna lose???? wtf???:cantstop: I feel that this series too will be drawn.... anyways, forget that. Do you realistically think that we are gonna "win" the series?
Anyway let me break it down for you with regards to seniors(individually). Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar both have career average of 55 plus down under(give or take a few). I say I would be happy if these two gents score at around the same number. The lower they go from 55 the more I shall be unhappy, the higher they go the more the reason to feel happy about seniors? Fair? xxx
fair enough!
anyways, forget that. Do you realistically think that we are gonna "win" the series?
I actually do. I am pretty convinced that India has a strong team(assuming we have a fully fit team). The strength, to me, is displayed by the quality players that are currently sitting out - Yuvraj, Sehwag, Pathan, RP Singh/Sreesanth(unfit) and the strings of new guns like Manoj Tiwari, Rohit Sharma, Badrinath etc who are keeping the seniors on their toes. If you picked a second Indian XI out of thse chaps they would still make for a quality side. Aussies have a fearsome batting line-up but if the batsmen performed as they have - SRT and Dravid (55 average), VVS(59) we should be good. Bowling wise this is the weakest Australian team I have seen in past 15 years and Indian bowling is atleast as good, if not better. I am optimistic that we shall win this. :hatsoff: