Jaffer Fan Club

kabira

I could only watch 'til he was on 82, but i knew he would get a big one - said as much on the commentary thread. Such a classy player. 192 off 255 - even Sehwag at his peak couldn't have done better than this.
u smoking something? sehwag at his peek fcked australia can he do it?

it was a mindblowing innings..... what i love about Jaffer apart from his elegance is his penchant for big scores.... this will be his 2nd double hundred in his last 10 tests.... thts wat u would expect from a traditional opener in tests... he has a good 5 yrs left in him... he can easily finish with 5000+ runs at 43 average... his batting reminds me a lot of english batters like Hick, Chris Broad, Athey etc...

Jaffer, since his comeback in 2006.

1. 16 Tests, 30 innings @ 41.89. 4 100s, 6 50s (Thats roughly one in 3 innings he goes to make his stay count).
  2. He has scored 100s in India, SA, WI (double hundred), BD & 50s pretty much everywhere including England.
  3. If he were to finish his innings at his current score of 192, he will average 46.9 in 17 tests, 31 innings. By far the best opening bat we've seen since Sehwag in the last two decades

I wouldn't bank on DK. He will struggle very soon. Trouble is that the other guy Jaffer also will struggle for another year or so if not persisted. But with DK, even if he is persisted, he will not stable down as an opener. Yaar why do we think opening is "Chai ka cup", hold it in the hand and "pi jao". He doesnt have what it takes to defend first 25 overs. Harmison, Bond, Lee. So many good bowlers out there. I think we should look more. And as for Dhoni, he will fair better than DK as we progress.
This is what I had said about DK and Jaff and Dhoni...way back 6-7 mos ago.
excellent innings. I am a bit surprised as to how an opening batsman can pick the spinners so well. The way he played Kaneria was really nice to watch.
He plays backfoot very well. He played late, sometimes rooted on crease. A quality spinner could have gotten him yesterday if he had hurried him well on the backfoot, like most of Kumble's dismissals. I think Danish was way too defensive to try out attacking deliveries.
He plays backfoot very well. He played late' date=' sometimes rooted on crease. A quality spinner could have gotten him yesterday if he had hurried him well on the backfoot, like most of Kumble's dismissals. I think Danish was way too defensive to try out attacking deliveries.[/quote'] yeah but i am 100% sure that he was picking Kaneria off the hand...that is something which even the most established middle order batsmen find it hard to do.
192 off 255 - even Sehwag at his peak couldn't have done better than this.
Beg to differ... Sehwag reached 200 off 222 balls in Multan in 2004, and then added 28 more runs to that before close of play on the first day... Also, batting second, facing a total of 679, he hammered 254 at over a run a ball in Lahore in 2006... Both of those attacks were better than today's...
The difference of those 2 knocks. Jaffar did not even give a sniff of his wicket. I do not even remember a close LBW call against him. Sehwag I remember got at least 3 chances
C'mon the bowling attack was much different. Here the bowling looked crippled. In Multan, the knock set the result of the series, the intent to break the bowling was clear. Never in Indian cricket's history have they gone on tour and displayed such intent. They were always meek to start with and then by the 3rd or 4th test they would play hard and catch up. In Multan, they came, they conquered and delivered.
Beg to differ... Sehwag reached 200 off 222 balls in Multan in 2004, and then added 28 more runs to that before close of play on the first day... Also, batting second, facing a total of 679, he hammered 254 at over a run a ball in Lahore in 2006... Both of those attacks were better than today's...
Point taken, but Jaffer's knock today should shut up the critics who claimed that he wasn't "aggressive" enough or that India missed Sehwag's attacking style of play at the top of the order.