What must a good test pitch behave like ?

Ram

Seeing this Kolkata pitch, it left me terribly disappointed. As many experts have pointed out earlier, a Good pitch is one that offers a contest between the bat and ball. Hardly anybody likes to a see cricket match when the teams rattle up 600+ scores without breaking a sweat, which is India did in the last 2 days. They didnt even look like losing a wicket and established test players like Shoaib, Kaneria had almost zero influence. There was absolutely no pace or bounce in this track. The worst part was, it was breaking up on day 2 itself, with mini-explosions everytime the ball landed in some spots. If this trend is going to continue, it may make batting VERY difficult for teams batting 3rd and last. If a pitch were to give such an unfair advantage to the team batting first, it is quite unfair on the other team. A good test pitch must have something in it for the seamers in the first 2 sessions of day 1, flatten out for batting in days 2 and 3 , and offer assistance to spinners on days 4 and 5. Unfortunately, very rarely do we see such pitches off late. They are either completely loaded in favor of the batsman or the bowlers, diluting the quality of test cricket.

Huh? What a waste of a thread! There is nothing wrong with the Calcutta pitch. When you have two asthma patients and one uncoordinated specimen doing the bowling backed up with a left arm "seamer" bowling orthodox "spin", this is going to be the result. Just watch how Pakistan go to stumps at least 7 down by stumps tomorrrow.

Surprising you say that, coz it visually evident that there is ABSOLUTELY no pace and carry in this pitch. If the Indian spinners were to dominate here, the pitch crumbling will have an equal role in it. I dont know how you could ever call such a pitch a test-standard one. Now, watch as the same batsman who scored 616/5 in this ankle high bounce struggle to string up 300 in Australia. These are farcial victories.

What rubbish!! We have scored 700+ in Australia on the back of the same batting lineup. Trust me' date=' there are no bigger pattas in world cricket than Aussie pitches.[/quote'] Why do you keep referring to Pakistan ? Is THIS a good test pitch or not ? Yes or no ?
Where do you see Pakistan being referred to in the text you quoted? It is not the ideal Test wicket but I have seen much worse. Let's say 6/10.
Sorry, that should have been Australia. Such lifeless pitches never make for entertaining cricket. A pitch were EVERY wicket from the 2nd onwards to the 6th one put on a 50 partnership by default can never be a good one. And worse, niether did a new ball do anything. We can be proud of our victory in Delhi, If we win this one , there is nothing to write home about.
MM our pitcjes are different ...... they throw up different challenges to batsmen and bowlers .... sorta like the Roland Garros of Cricket .... who says that a pitch has to be rock hard and needs to carry at shoulder height to the keeper ?
And it is precisely such sort of pitches that gave us the "Tigers at home, lambs abroad" tags for so long. And no, I am not asking for pitches that carry at shoulder height to the keeper, but they musnt bounce twice before reaching the keeper. For a bowler , there is no more disheartening sight than watching the ball bounce more than once before trickling to the keeper and we are talking about some of the quickest bowlers in the world.
Sorry, that should have been Australia. Such lifeless pitches never make for entertaining cricket. A pitch were EVERY wicket from the 2nd onwards to the 6th one put on a 50 partnership by default can never be a good one. And worse, niether did a new ball do anything. We can be proud of our victory in Delhi, If we win this one , there is nothing to write home about.
Yeah, let's have you and us bowling to Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dhoni, Jaffer and Dravid at Perth/Bombay and see how many wickets we can get.
Yeah' date=' let's have you and us bowling to Tendulkar, Laxman, Ganguly, Dhoni, Jaffer and Dravid at Perth/Bombay and see how many wickets we can get.[/quote'] You just seem intent on deflecting from the points highlighted debate. I have pointed out VERIFIED facts about the pitch - it has no pace, no bounce, its exploding in parts in the 2nd session of day 2. Yet, you seem more intent of focussing on how bowlers are of bad quality and the batsman have been too good. The Delhi match was so much better to watch, there was always a contest. It gave assistance to seamers throughout and yet spinners like Kumble, Kaneria and Bhajji found enough in it and accounted for 13 of the 34 wickets that fell. Ultimately , the best team won , but the match wasnt decided till the 1st session of day 4. This one has absolutely lifeless and that is why we are seeing such one-sided boring cricket. Such pitches kill test cricket.
Highly exagerated MM (especially the bouncing twice bit) .... But which country produces the best pitches according to you ?
Lets not move in that direction. I want to solely focus on what makes a good test wicket, and not who makes it or who doesnt.