Bedi's alltime IndPak 11

Holysmoke

Kapil Dev is a one off mate' date=' he's as class as it can get. How can anyone have him as a 12th in a ind/pak combined xi?[/quote'] First of all let me make it clear that Kapil Paaji is in my top 5 of Indian cricketers But the truth is that Kapil was neither a great bowler nor a great batsman. He was a very good bowler and a good batsman who sometimes played sublime knocks but he wasn't a great at either discipline. His true value was what he brought as a combination, his batting plus his bowling is what makes him a great. Imran on the other hand was a great bowler, one of the best of all-time. He was also a very good batsman who didnt have the flair of Kapil but had the grit and determination needed to help save matches in the middle order. Kapil lacked the consistency that Imran had. The true worth of a player is how fans of other countries value him, Imran makes nearly ever all-time XI that I've ever seen. kapil does not even come close! It hurts but that's the way it is. If Imran wasn't available for this team then Kapil would be the only one who could take his place but if Imran is available then Kapil is best placed as 12th man
Ans 1 : Are you joking when you are asking this question or what? .
my bad...i didn't mean to sound rude.
Ans 2 : It's not like I are comparing Wasim Akram with Shane O'Çonnor. Both Kapil Dev and Imran played in the same era and both were good in the respective departments. Imran won a world cup so did Kapil Dev. Imran was a good bat so was Kapil Dev. Imran was fairly quick bowler early on and ended up bowling medium pace towards the end of is career, so did Kapil Dev. A lot of yesteryear cricketers rate Kapil Dev better than Imran if you did not know. BTW Kapil Dev was a fantastic fielder and a catcher unlike Imran Kan. All round ability does not mean you bat, bowl and rest in the field. I've seen Kapil Dev change a game within an hour with the bat and ball. Imran Khan did that with the ball but his batting was solid but not carnage. Kapil Dev was a lone pacemen in a team that played 4 spinners. With that kind of spinning option you can guess the kind of pitches that were lined up in India. Kapil Dev bowled on pitches that wasn't conducive for fast bowling but was still effective. I'm not a stats man and I only go by what I've seen it first hand. Between Walsh and Akram whom would you chose as the better bowler? Walsh has way more wickets than Akram but I think Akram was way ahead of Walsh.
As Rohip and KR pointed out that Imran was a great bowler. Possibly one of the top 10 bowlers to have ever played the game and was certainly the best bowler for most of the 80s decade. Kapil on the hand was a very fine bowler but would he even be in the list of top 30 bowlers ever? As a batsman Kapil was certainly ahead for most part of his career but even there Imran caught up and played many influential innings for the team. Captaincy is a no brainer and Imran wins quite easily.
Who would you have selected ahead of Waqar? Sehwag ahead of Anwar? why?
I would have dropped Inzamam and played Kapil and played Saqlain/Chandra instead of Waqar. I have a lot of respect for Anwar and consider him a better batsman than Inzamam but as an opener Sehwag's achievements leave Anwar behind. Melbourne, Multan, Chennai the guys has dented the best in business.
I would have dropped Inzamam and played Kapil and played Saqlain/Chandra instead of Waqar. I have a lot of respect for Anwar and consider him a better batsman than Inzamam but as an opener Sehwag's achievements leave Anwar behind. Melbourne, Multan, Chennai the guys has dented the best in business.
Saeed has had a lot more major contributions. Karachi 94, Brisbane, oval 96, Durban, Kolkata to name a few.

MP, waqar was brilliant in that period. But we have to judge players by what theyhave done achieved in their entire career. If you want to judge players by their peak form, Saeed Anwar could never match SehwaG's brilliant run as a test opener from 2002 to 2006. But I would still have Saaed ahead of Sehwag in that team.

MP' date=' waqar was brilliant in that period. But we have to judge players by what theyhave done achieved in their entire career. If you want to judge players by their peak form, Saeed Anwar could never match SehwaG's brilliant run as a test opener from 2002 to 2006. But I would still have Saaed ahead of Sehwag in that team.[/quote'] agree but his performance for that 5-6 year period and then a steady period towards the end of his career should be enough to put him ahead of the likes of Shoaib and proabably Fazal Mahmood.I have noticed that some people don't give credit to waqar for his great SR. Waqar for the first 5-6 years was a better version of Shoaib and a better bowler than his partner Wasim. From 1995 to 03 he was on par with what some one like C Vaas has been through out his career.
Saeed has had a lot more major contributions. Karachi 94' date=' Brisbane, oval 96, Durban, Kolkata to name a few.[/quote'] Yeah, and I rate him very highly, as I said above Inzamam. But as an opener the sheer destructiveness of Sehwag is unmatched.
Did you watch Waqar from the 1990 to 1995?
Yeah, MP. Waqar terrorized the likes of Zimbabwe, NZ, SL, and WI. He was a one trick pony, though good at it, but good batsmen generally got the better of him. From what I have read of Fazal Mehmood he would make much more worthy occupant of an all time Pakistan XI.
Yeah' date=' MP. Waqar terrorized the likes of Zimbabwe, NZ, SL, and WI. He was a one trick pony, though good at it, but good batsmen generally got the better of him. From what I have read of Fazal Mehmood he would make much more worthy occupant of an all time Pakistan XI.[/quote'] The Windies of the early 90's were still the number one team in the world, to dominate them was no easy task. When we say Waqar struggled against the Aussies we are holding him to his own high standards basing it on Waqars career average of 23 vs an average of over 30 vs the Aussies. But when we're talking about a united XI then we are comparing him to Indian pacers, how many Indian pacers do you know who have career averages close to Waqars? In fact the best Indian bowlers have a career average around 30 which is around the average Waqar had against the Aussies. The only team that gave Waqar a beating was us, he averaged close to 50 against us. But that doesnt matter because in a united XI he wouldnt be bowling to Indian batsmen and getting hammered. Waqar Younis would walk into any united XI hands down, if we put aside our bias we could see that. They have had the better fast bowlers and we've had better spinners and batsmen! That's just the truth of the matter and we should accept it as should they. I mean 3 Pakistani batsmen out of 6 selected? That's a f'in joke by Bedi the moron!!