Bedi's alltime IndPak 11

Holysmoke

On the criterion in selecting his XI

I’ve picked solid players... Batsmen with that character and authority-stamping bowlers... I haven’t, for example, selected a wristy artiste like Gundappa Viswanath... Then, I’ve wholly been guided by the players’ value to the team... The ones picked do bring something very special to the table.

On his XI (in batting order)

SUNIL GAVASKAR: There hasn’t been a better batsman to drop anchor and compile runs... In my book, the best.

SAEED ANWAR: Given his attacking style, he would complement Gavaskar well... Plus, his selection makes it a left-right combination. That helps.

JAVED MIANDAD: I have him at No.3 largely to give him more time to get under the opposition’s skin! I’ve always rated him very highly.

2team.jpg

SACHIN TENDULKAR: Just can’t think of anybody else in that position... Do I actually need to justify picking him?

RAHUL DRAVID: Given his reputation and record, Rahul has to make the XI. But, as I’ve explained, not at No.3.

INZAMAM-UL HAQ: An attacking batsman who could be counted upon in a crisis.

WASIM BARI: He’s the best ’keeper I’ve seen... In fact, even Alan Knott would concede that Bari was better behind the stumps. Bari could bat, but that hasn’t been a consideration. I’ve selected the best ’keeper. He rarely dived, rather he would reach the ball. And, so cleanly.

IMRAN KHAN: Few people know just how hard he worked at his bowling... He walks into my team.

WASIM AKRAM: He had such natural ability and could do anything with the ball.

WAQAR YOUNIS: Like Akram, could bowl in all conditions ... His record speaks for itself... Another hard worker. ANIL KUMBLE: Is remarkably consistent... I love his never-say-die attitude and I’ve never seen him with shoulders drooping... Whatever the circumstances, his body language remains good. That he hasn’t been a big turner and hasn’t been an athlete has made no difference to me. On his captain Oh, Imran... A born leader... He made such an impact as captain... If somebody dropped a catch, people wouldn’t look at the poor fielder but at Imran, to see how he reacted... He was that kind of a leader... Imran had that aura. On having had to ignore a Kapil Dev (After a pause) I’m feeling bad... But, then, the three new-ball bowlers I’ve picked were all better in their trade... I’ve selected the best for every position and, sadly, Kapil couldn’t be there... He would be my 12th man, though... Nobody in India or Pakistan has been a better all-round fielder. On his reserves Viswanath, Erapalli Prasanna and Jawagal Srinath... Abdul Qadir and Sarfraz Nawaz have been unlucky to miss out. On whether his XI could beat Clive Lloyd’s awesome team of the late Seventies and early Eighties I think so... Both that West Indies side and Ricky Ponting’s Australians... It’s for your readers to judge, but I’ve picked a team which could well be called invincible... I would pay to watch them...

Having Anwar ahead of Sehwag as an opener is as hilarious as it can get. Not to mention playing Miandad at no. 3 ahead of the best batsman at no. 3 world cricket has seen since Bradman. Or selecting the over hyped Waqar.
Overated Waqar? This guy was great, before his injuries he was lightning quick and had an amazing strike rate.
Kapil Dev 12th man :haha: He's one of the very few top class all rounders ever and he has him as 12th man. IMO Kapil Dev was way ahead of Imran Khan in both formats of cricket.
Come on man, even though we're Indian fans you have to admit that Imran Khan was better than Kapil Dev. He was faster and his record is better. Imran test match statistics: Batting 37.69 Bowling 22.81 ODI Batting 33.41 Bowling 26.61 Kapil Dev test match statistics: Batting 31.05 Bowling 29.64 ODI Batting 23.79 Bowling 27.45 I know stats aren't everyhing but Imrans stats are comfortably better than most of Kapil's. Kapil was still a great player though.
Guest dada_rocks
Come on man, even though we're Indian fans you have to admit that Imran Khan was better than Kapil Dev. He was faster and his record is better. Imran test match statistics: Batting 37.69 Bowling 22.81 ODI Batting 33.41 Bowling 26.61 Kapil Dev test match statistics: Batting 31.05 Bowling 29.64 ODI Batting 23.79 Bowling 27.45 I know stats aren't everyhing but Imrans stats are comfortably better than most of Kapil's. Kapil was still a great player though.
Burqua kab hatage minao
Question # 1: Are you joking or you genuinely believe that? Question # 2: If you genuinely believe that then why?
Ans 1 : Are you joking when you are asking this question or what? Ans 2 : It's not like I are comparing Wasim Akram with Shane O'Çonnor. Both Kapil Dev and Imran played in the same era and both were good in the respective departments. Imran won a world cup so did Kapil Dev. Imran was a good bat so was Kapil Dev. Imran was fairly quick bowler early on and ended up bowling medium pace towards the end of is career, so did Kapil Dev. A lot of yesteryear cricketers rate Kapil Dev better than Imran if you did not know. BTW Kapil Dev was a fantastic fielder and a catcher unlike Imran Kan. All round ability does not mean you bat, bowl and rest in the field. I've seen Kapil Dev change a game within an hour with the bat and ball. Imran Khan did that with the ball but his batting was solid but not carnage. Kapil Dev was a lone pacemen in a team that played 4 spinners. With that kind of spinning option you can guess the kind of pitches that were lined up in India. Kapil Dev bowled on pitches that wasn't conducive for fast bowling but was still effective. I'm not a stats man and I only go by what I've seen it first hand. Between Walsh and Akram whom would you chose as the better bowler? Walsh has way more wickets than Akram but I think Akram was way ahead of Walsh.
Ans 1 : Are you joking when you are asking this question or what? Ans 2 : It's not like I are comparing Wasim Akram with Shane O'Çonnor. Both Kapil Dev and Imran played in the same era and both were good in the respective departments. Imran won a world cup so did Kapil Dev. Imran was a good bat so was Kapil Dev. Imran was fairly quick bowler early on and ended up bowling medium pace towards the end of is career, so did Kapil Dev. A lot of yesteryear cricketers rate Kapil Dev better than Imran if you did not know. BTW Kapil Dev was a fantastic fielder and a catcher unlike Imran Kan. All round ability does not mean you bat, bowl and rest in the field. I've seen Kapil Dev change a game within an hour with the bat and ball. Imran Khan did that with the ball but his batting was solid but not carnage. Kapil Dev was a lone pacemen in a team that played 4 spinners. With that kind of spinning option you can guess the kind of pitches that were lined up in India. Kapil Dev bowled on pitches that wasn't conducive for fast bowling but was still effective. .
Did you watch the 82-83 series in Pakistan wherein Kapil Dev was completely out played by Imran Khan both with the bat and ball. Heck , he took 40 wickets in the series and finished the careers of the likes of Vishy and to some extent Sandeep Patil. And his solid batting earned him MOS against India in the 87 series in India and he averaged more than 50 with the bat during his latter part of the career when he became a medium pacer. Even the ESPN ratings for Imran is higher than Kapil Dev. So , I don't know how you can say with conviction that Imran khan was better than kapil.
Did you watch the 82-83 series in Pakistan wherein Kapil Dev was completely out played by Imran Khan both with the bat and ball. Heck ' date=' he took 40 wickets in the series and finished the careers of the likes of Vishy and to some extent Sandeep Patil. And his solid batting earned him MOS against India in the 87 series in India and he averaged more than 50 with the bat during his latter part of the career when he became a medium pacer. Even the ESPN ratings for Imran is higher than Kapil Dev. So , I don't know how you can say with conviction that Imran khan was better than kapil.[/quote'] Similarly have you seen Kapil Dev change games in no time even against the likes of Australia, NZ, England, WI and the rest? I've seen some care free knocks from Kapil in Australia and England that will top all time charts. How can you forget his 100 against Zimboks in the 83 WC? How can you forget the 4 sixes he hit against England to escape follow on with only one wicket to go? How can you forget his memorable 100 in Chennai in the tied test against Australia? How can you forget all those quick 50s in the 1985 WChampionship against the likes of Hadlee? Kapil Dev is a one off mate, he's as class as it can get. How can anyone have him as a 12th in a ind/pak combined xi?
Similarly have you seen Kapil Dev change games in no time even against the likes of Australia' date=' NZ, England, WI and the rest? I've seen some care free knocks from Kapil in Australia and England that will top all time charts. How can you forget his 100 against Zimboks in the 83 WC? How can you forget the 4 sixes he hit against England to escape follow on with only one wicket to go? How can you forget his memorable 100 in Chennai in the tied test against Australia? How can you forget all those quick 50s in the 1985 WChampionship against the likes of Hadlee? [b']Kapil Dev is a one off mate, he's as class as it can get. How can anyone have him as a 12th in a ind/pak combined xi?
Bedi is a nutter anyways ! Kapil Dev definitely would be the in the top 3 players I would select in a ind/pak combined eleven. I am just disputing your statement made with conviction that Kapil was way ahead of Imran in both formats of the game. Pardon me for saying this , but it sounds too jingoistic . And yes I have watched both of them play from 1978-79 onwards.

Bedi is a disgrace.7 out of the 11 players are Pakistani, this selection just goes to show the inferiority complex that Indian players of previous eras had. How can you have 3 of our bats and 3 of their bats? We've been by far the better batting side. Only Miandad deserves to be in as a batter. Looking at this team makes my blood boil, 2 out of every 3 players are theirs! And as for those who are saying kapil is better than Imran, well you're just as misguided as Bedi. Imran was the best all-rounder after Sobers, then it's Kallis, then Kapil and Botham are about the same.