Tait in for 1st. Test against India ?

Donny

I dont understand. When you quoted 3 of Lee recent performances to show that Indians " will underestimate him at their own peril" why shouldnt i quote a performance of Lee against Ind in Aus to show that Lee is not such a potent threat to Indians as you might make it out to be ?
I think we are either over-estimating ourselves, due to the last tour in 03-04 or hugely underestimating the Aussies. Lee is a much improved bowler in tests since 03-04. I suppose his role has changed and he has to focus more on accuracy than speed. His earlier role -- to terrorize the batsman with furious pace, without worrying too much about accuracy, might be taken up by Tait. Then having another left armer in the attack would lend variety and Indian batsmen won't be given a breathing space. This tour is going to be tough where Australia won't be under-estimating India like they did last time. Plus our batsmen are not in the peak of form like they were 4 years back. I'm not expecting as good a show as 4 years back.

Lee has become an incredible bowler now ... the way he swings it at 150km/h is quite incredible. Also, now he is very accurate too. Johnson has had recent success against India and now the man that could destroy us ... Shaun Tait will be playing. Its not so much his pace but the fact that unlike Lee, Tait does not give the batsman a clear view of the ball before the delivery stride (take a look at his bowling action if you dont believe me), so at 160km/h when you dont know which way the ball is going ... you are immediately under a lot of pressure. Add to that Stuart Clark, who has become a McGrath-esque figure in the team. We most definitely have our work cut out for us.

Lee is not yet an incredible bowler. Two tests against a completely rubbish England side and two more impressive performances against Sri Lanka does not a great bowler make. If he maintains that performance though against India on tougher pitches to bowl upon and against better batsmen, I'll happily eat some words. Clark's not McGrathesque, not by a long shot. McGrath was a sheer genius and a machine who was as relentless as one could get. Clark doesn't yet have the capability to bowl on flat tracks with Pigeon's versatility, or his brain in getting the top batsmen cheaply more consistently than any other bowler. Tait could be the biggest threat of the lot if he's fit and playing. He has serious pace, late swing, and no fear whatsoever. If he's handled well, he has the potential to be explosive. And IMO, has the tools to be the finest express quick bowler of this generation, putting the likes of Shoaib and Lee in the shade.

Actually, shwetabh, none of it is hype. Hype - noun: blatant or sensational promotion/ to promote or advertise, esp. by extravagant, exaggerated methods or claims. The recent figures of Lee and Clark speak for themselves, no one out here is particularly talking Johnson up (although some ICFers seem to see him as a danger) and Tait just took a 10fa including 7/29. That's hardly hype. :regular_smile:

Actually, shwetabh, none of it is hype. Hype - noun: blatant or sensational promotion/ to promote or advertise, esp. by extravagant, exaggerated methods or claims. The recent figures of Lee and Clark speak for themselves, no one out here is particularly talking Johnson up (although some ICFers seem to see him as a danger) and Tait just took a 10fa including 7/29. That's hardly hype. :regular_smile:
Thank you for the English lesson but if you think a couple of good performances against crap players of pace like Sri Lanka makes Lee a threat to the Indian batsmen who dismantled him beyond recognition on their last visit, then check up one more word for moi, the non native English speaker - delusional. And you know what, Manoj Tiwari has scored at an average of 90+ in the Indian domestic season. Surely, that makes him a threat to Australia. Clark, I have respect for him. A good bowler but has played too little international cricket to be described as a consistent threat.

A couple of good performances ? His last 8 Test bowling innings is hardly a couple. Manoj has about the same chance as you of touring to Australia whereas Tait is right on the edge of the Oz national XI. Tait also starred in the last ODI world Cup. Manoj didn't.