Should we enforce the follow on?

Rohip

The only reason not to enforce follow on, is to rest our bowlers for a session and a half. But that rest will have to come at the expense of losing an opportunity to win the test. Enforcing follow on is the only way we can win this test. But more likely than not, it will not happen

Even if we bowl them out with a 200+ lead, I can bet that we wont enforce the follow on. This whole concept of follow on itself is just non-sensical. I dont care if my team wins with an innings to spare or not, I just want them to win. IMO, the concept of follow-on has no scientific basis and if you have lead of 200+, you are as likely to win if you bat again, as you are if you ask the opponent to bat again

Worth looking back at past history as well. In past tests at Eden Gardens, batting's been fairly facile on day 4. Heck, the last time India played Pak there, 369 runs were scored for the loss of 7 wickets on the fourth day. Kolkata's always been more difficult to bat on over the fifth day - so rather than give Pakistan the opportunity to bat and prop runs up when the pitch still doesn't have too many demons in it, let India's batsmen cash in a bit more, bat quickly and set a 400+ target to win the game in the last 100-120 overs or so.

If i were captain, the ONLY time i would enforce the follow on is when there are time constraints. Other than that, even if i have a 300+ lead, i will bat again, give the opposition a 550+ target and 120-130 overs to make it. If you cant win a match from that situation, you better brush up your cricket skills History tells us that batting last, chasing a target is always the MOST difficult thing to do. Besides, batting again also means i am controlling the match for longer and the more i control the match, the more deflated the opponent will feel. In retrospect, asking the team to bat again means i am transferring the initiative back to them, giving them a chance to claw back, EARLIER, when there is still lots left to play in the game.

I CANNOT believe a bowler as good as Sami is averaging 50 in test cricket. Me thinks somebody has put a curse on him, there could be no other explanation.
get out of what u been smoking mate. He was good cuz his PACE, now he lost it. Even bangladesh will whoop him now.

I believe we should not enforce the follow on. We should go in and bat again, playing it like an ODI. Blast everything, no need to be on the defense now. If we can put on a good 280-300 runs in about 40-45 overs it should meet the mark. If they are coming to the end with wickets in hand, I see no reason why we shouldn't just go berserk on Pakistan. Then we can try to bowl them out, just don't let Munuf get too many overs before he starts leaking runs and allows the batsmen to get comfortable.

The other explanation: He's actually crap.
Sami - a good bowler? That's news.
_1j9WIyxhj4 Honestly tell me guys, how many pace bowlers have you seen do that in the last 15 years ? The guy has talent, there is absolutely no doubt it. Its just inexplicable why he doesnt perform.
I CANNOT believe a bowler as good as Sami is averaging 50 in test cricket. Me thinks somebody has put a curse on him, there could be no other explanation.
I stopped reading after that! :haha: The guy is utter cr@p. He has cut down his pace, hoping to get his radar right and still sprays it all over the place. He has no variety, no pace (at the moment), no movement, no line and length. Call him a bowler is pretty charitable.
Honestly tell me guys, how many pace bowlers have you seen do that in the last 15 years ? The guy has talent, there is absolutely no doubt it. Its just inexplicable why he doesnt perform.
U can pretty much take any bowler in cricket who has lasted more than a couple of years. They would have had such moments of magic. Doesnt mean anything!
Honestly tell me guys' date=' how many pace bowlers have you seen do that in the last 15 years ? [/quote'] Blow apart a few New Zealand batsmen that are for the most part incapable of playing pace even on a 96 yard pitch? Hmm. Lots. Bung, Harmison, Jones, Dale Steyn, Showhaibh the Moish Whinnhaah, Malinga, and then plenty of others - including the real crap ones. You're looking at Sami's performance against a team that made Brad Williams look like a possible test strike bowler. :D
U can pretty much take any bowler in cricket who has lasted more than a couple of years. They would have had such moments of magic. Doesnt mean anything!
And amongst the many who have lasted more than 2 years and have had "such moments of magic" could you please tell me the names of 3 who have average more than 50 in test cricket ? And that is my point, I have seen other bowlers and i see this guy too. He is not any worse than your average bowler who plays 30 tests, picks up 110 wickets at an ave of 33. Yet, he is over 50 !
Blow apart a few New Zealand batsmen that are for the most part incapable of playing pace even on a 96 yard pitch? Hmm. Lots. Bung, Harmison, Jones, Dale Steyn, Showhaibh the Moish Whinnhaah, Malinga, and then plenty of others - including the real crap ones. You're looking at Sami's performance against a team that made Brad Williams look like a possible test strike bowler. :D
And how do their records look like now ? Not as bad as Sami's right ? Forget NZ, most batsman would have struggled to play those balls.