Should we enforce the follow on?

Rohip

if sami or misbah or both are not out within the first 30 minutes of play tomorrow morning, enforcing the follow on would not be a question at all. nonetheless, i dont think we ought to enforce the follow on. Pakistan must be balking in the success of this rearguard partnership and would return to the field more assured, and self confident which might just prove to be decisive since when the first emmerged on the field yesterday evening and today morning, the massive total on the scorecard really suppressed their conviction. besides, we must seek to rest our bowlers... kumble and harbhajan who would be doing the stock of the bowling in the next innings as well, bowled over 62 overs out of the 100 odd pakistan have played so far. they could use a day's rest. moreover, i suspect an additional day of rest for shoaib might just be what he needs to return to full (well atleast marginal) fitness and threaten to take wickets like he did in the first test.

first of we wont have the option of a follow on, secondly ... I doubt we want to force essentially two bowlers to have to bowl once again immediately after a long first innings. I reckon we will bat till we have a 350+ lead and then see if we can force a result within 90-110 overs

I'm loving the confidence but I've got a bad feeling about this. I don't know why but I think Tanvir and Kaneria are going to be real dangerous in the second innings. I'd rather we chased a tangible number than batted them out of the game
Rohip, We wont have a choice once they get the 60 runs.

well we should enforce the follow, yes.. why?? bowling pak out with a lead of 200.. we would need about 1 session tomorrow.. now pak first have to finish up this 200 run trail.. then in addition they have to score atleast another 200 runz rite?? atleast to send India in.. how much u think they can make really in 2 remaining sessions to put pressure on India in 4th inngs. offcourse they would need India to bat atleast 2 and half session so that they can bowl us out.. well its not that easy.. enforce the bloody follow on..

Guest dada_rocks

I will take decisison on the basis how pitch behaves tomorrow if it aids spin more then go for follow-on but most probably they will save follow on and thereby the game.. It took just one partnership to puncture the euphoria

I guarantee that if we get the chance to enforce a follow on and dont take it then the match will be drawn, no chance of a win and series decided. Why are we so scared of a follow on? These are the scars of the past that are making us cautious, if we want to be the dominant team in the future then we need to be aggressive and ruthless. They will need to make up the 200 run deficit and then pile on at least 250 to 300 to make a game of it. That's 450 to 500 runs in the second innings on a crumbling pitch facing Bhaji and Krumble. There is no way they will make that, at most they will make 350 which leaves us with a small target and a real chance at a win. Come on India, we want to win this series 3-0 not 2-0 or 1-1, enforce the follow on if you get the chance Krumble, attack them and show aggression. This tactic will scare the Aussies too.

No. I expect us to get around 190-230 run lead. We should then bat for 40 overs and smash their bowling like no tomorrow. Declare and watch the fun. And hopefully, we won't see an Oval style 3rd innings crawl. A certain 12(96) comes to mind. :confused:
i am begining to miss the usual dhoni-sami match up... usually end with dhoni firmly lodging his foot in sami's groin.