Vengsarkar's exit almost certain

Guest Hiten.

NEW DELHI, December 3: Dilip Vengsarkar's exit from the selection panel appears to be certain with the Chief Selector making up his mind to call it quits after his request for reconsidering the guidelines was rejected by the BCCI. The Cricket Board last night decided not to consider Vengsarkar's request and made it clear that it will not bow to his threat of stepping down from his post. Vengsarkar is in a foul mood as the BCCI has stopped him from writing newspaper columns and issued a seven-point code of conduct for the selectors. "He is no longer willing to work in these circumstances unless the Board reconsiders its stance. He has made up his mind to put in his papers," a source close to Vengsarkar said. "He is someone who will not compromise with his integrity. He does not want to continue in this fashion," the source added. The former cricketer has kept his fellow selectors in the loop on this issue and is in no mood to compromise. On Sunday, Vengsarkar met East Zone selector Ranjib Biswal, who is in Mumbai to watch the Ranji Trophy Super League encounter between the hosts and Maharashtra. An unruffled Board, however, said it's up to Vengsarkar to decide whether he wants to continue as the Chief Selector and he should rather focus on his job than worry about personal issues. "He (Vengsarkar) wants to step down. He had spoken to BCCI President Sharad Pawar and expressed willingness to step down," Shukla said. "The Board's view is that on December 5 we have a meeting of the selection committee to pick the squad for the Australia tour, which is more important than personal issues." "The national interest is more important. He should first focus on that and personal issues can be discussed later," Shukla said. Asked why Vengsarkar offered to resign in the middle of a series when things were more or less settled between him and the Board, Shukla said there were different opinions on the seven-point guidelines issued to the selectors. "There are certain issues on which he has got a different point of view like the guidelines which have been issued about not writing the column and about the selectors going to watch the matches," Shukla said. These guidelines are part of the BCCI constitution and they cannot be changed and Vengsarkar is free to quit, he said.

I doubt that will happen: Dilip Vengsarkar left Kolkata late on Saturday, after informing the board president of a bereavement in Mumbai and requesting permission to fly home. It has been speculated that Vengsarkar was upset at the board's decision to disallow him from writing columns and therefore left Kolkata in a huff after latest discussions with Sharad Pawar, the board president, failed to result in a softening of the BCCI's stance. However, sources in the BCCI confirmed that Vengsarkar had not offered to resign and was not threatening to do so. He did however meet with Pawar and Shashank Manohar and spent close to an hour in discussions. What the three discussed, is not clear, though it is widely presumed that the matter of him writing columns had once again come up. Earlier the BCCI had instructed all selectors to refrain from writing columns in a seven-point diktat. Vengsarkar then asked to be compensated for the loss of earnings that resulted from the board directive. The matter was debated within the board, but it was decided - at least for the moment - that no compensation would be paid. The speculation that Vengsarkar left Kolkata in anger was further fuelled by the confusion surrounding the date and venue for picking the team for the forthcoming tour of Australia. Initially, the selection was to happen on the last day of the Test, December 4, at Kolkata. Later, it was decided that the selection would happen in Bangalore on December 5, ahead of the final Pakistan Test. © Cricinfo

So to you all who hate Vengsarker - tell how is this good for Indian cricket? I don't know much about the selection process so you guys may have better understanding off it. I was thinking that since he came on board - SA series onwards India have been doing well.

So to you all who hate Vengsarker - tell how is this good for Indian cricket? I don't know much about the selection process so you guys may have better understanding off it. I was thinking that since he came on board - SA series onwards India have been doing well.
And all those who want Vengsarkar to resign: who do you think will be the next chairman of selectors and how do you know that he'll be better than Vengsarkar?
The question is what is wrong with Vengsarker in the first place?
Dooks, As far as I know, there is one big problem with Vengsarkar: 1.He treated Rahul Dravid badly. He has no right to do so publicly even if he was not convinced by his captaincy. He kept on questioning in his column about why Rahul didn't enforce the follow-on at Oval or why did he not bat at #3 in ODIs. Come on, he is just a selector and should know his limitations. 2. He is too much of an attention-seeker through media and loves giving controvertial answers which hurts the players and their confidence and also creates a sence of insecurity and lack of faith in the system. 3.It was because of these reasons and pressure put by selectors DURING the England tour that broke Dravid and he resigned. Then it was Sachin's turn who had seen everything at England, to turn down the captaincy. Now tell me, how can that selector be very good? I'm 100% with the board who stopped him from writing in news-papers, interacting with media and stopped him from interfereing with the team matters once he chose the team. But if he resigns midway through the term, who'll take over and what'll be his vision ? The team which is looking so settled at the moment will again be disturbed just ahead of the toughest tour in last 4 years. Will that be good?

BCCI:Not going to change stand forone person. Vengsarkar can leave if he wants.... They are looking for a replacement . Vengy likely to resign tomorrow . Jagdale to head the selectors meeting on the 5th. Biswal:All other selectors have been following the guidelines.... -------------------------------------------------------------------------- A guy who does not understand basic conflict of interests.. Who has an ego bigger than the game...and who is not willing to follow rules himself has no business occupying such a powerful and responsible post. He is a perfect example of power going to ones head...in his case it is going to now explode . Unless he is ready to now grovel and get back in the good booksof his bosses. Fortunately his big blown up head will come in the way.....

Dooks, As far as I know, there is one big problem with Vengsarkar: 1.He treated Rahul Dravid badly. He has no right to do so publicly even if he was not convinced by his captaincy. He kept on questioning in his column about why Rahul didn't enforce the follow-on at Oval or why did he not bat at #3 in ODIs. Come on, he is just a selector and should know his limitations. Dooks - true. 2. He is too much of an attention-seeker through media and loves giving controvertial answers which hurts the players and their confidence and also creates a sence of insecurity and lack of faith in the system. Dooks - aren't all selectors attention seekers - more so moron More. This is nothing new for us - I don't hold this against him. 3.It was because of these reasons and pressure put by selectors DURING the England tour that broke Dravid and he resigned. Then it was Sachin's turn who had seen everything at England, to turn down the captaincy. Dooks - Well I am glad he managed to get rid of Dravid the captain because we will get our wall back (my favourite player btw). Now tell me, how can that selector be very good? I'm 100% with the board who stopped him from writing in news-papers, interacting with media and stopped him from interfereing with the team matters once he chose the team. Dooks - again they are all attention seeking whores so I don't hold that against him. He is doing what comes naturally to anyone in power - be that be good or bad. But if he resigns midway through the term, who'll take over and what'll be his vision ? The team which is looking so settled at the moment will again be disturbed just ahead of the toughest tour in last 4 years. Dooks - Yes I agree here. There is no real candidate to take over from him - just a bunch of losers. Will that be good?
Talksport - I had forgotten about Jaffer & ODI fiasco - so I can;t forgive him for that. But overall, I am happy with him compared to the previous regime. There is no one to take over if he goes.
BCCI:Not going to change stand forone person. Vengsarkar can leave if he wants.... They are looking for a replacement . Vengy likely to resign tomorrow . Jagdale to head the selectors meeting on the 5th. Biswal:All other selectors have been following the guidelines....
Good for BCCI to not change their stand just for one person. Although it would have been much better had the players who are going to be the selectors would have known these things (guidelines) before they were appointed. Agreeing to be a selectors should only be possible once they agree to the terms and conditions. That is why people have been crying hoarse since eternity to make the selectors job a paid one instead of the honorary one and let them be totally professional. If vengsarkar doesn't agree to the terms and conditions, it is better that he leaves. But if this person is going to replace him as chairman of selectors, then Indian cricket is well and truly gone: By Veturi Srivatsa New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS): The Indian cricket board seems to be in no mood to put up with the tantrums of chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar and is prepared for his exit. The board has made contingency plan to get former India captain Chandu Borde as chairman to preside over the selection committee meeting to pick the India squad for Australia later this month. The board is believed to have sounded Borde Sunday night to be ready to take over the job. If Vengsarkar does not relent and decides to quit before Wednesday, then Borde will, in all probability, chair the crucial selection committee meeting in Bangalore , to pick the squad for the Australia tour. It was Borde who bailed out the board by agreeing to be the cricket manager on India 's tour of England in the summer after Ravi Shastri expressed his inability to continue as manager after the Bangaldesh tour. In a last-ditch effort, East Zone selector and president of the Orissa Cricket Association Ranjib Biswal rushed to Vengsarkar's residence in Mumbai to prevail upon him not to act rashly. The message to Vengsarkar was loud and clear when board vice-president and spokesman Rajeev Shukla hurriedly called a press conference on Sunday afternoon to state that the chief selector had offered to resign. It is intriguing that such a statement has come from the board's spokesman, considering that it has always taken a conservative approach to controversial issues and tried to play them down. Normally, the board tries to hide such information and lets Vengsarkar to make all the moves. But this time the board has been livid with him as he chose to serve an ultimatum that if it does not withdraw the guidelines issued to the selectors by Wednesday, he will put in his papers. Pawar, after consulting his senior colleagues, decided that the board should come clean on the issue, whatever be Vengsarkar's stand, and tell the world that he has threatened to quit without referring to the deadline. That explains the haste with which Shukla decided to call the press and make the half-baked announcement. What he did not say is that the board has decided not to cajole Vengsarkar to even reconsider his decision, though it was said for public consumption that he had been asked to keep national interest in mind and select the squad for Australia before sorting out other issues. Late on Sunday night, Shukla said if Vengsarkar wants to quit, he was free to do so. Vengsarkar, by taking the moral high ground at this juncture, wanted to hit the board where it hurts the most when the selectors have to meet to finalise the squad for Australia . However, his position becomes untenable now that the board has decided not to withdraw the guidelines. Also, with the other selectors choosing to stay away from the imbroglio, his time seems to be up. It now transpires that the decision to shift the selection committee meeting from Kolkata scheduled Tuesday to Wednesday in Bangalore to pick the team for the final Test against Pakistan was done at the instance of other selectors who were watching the latest round of Ranji Trophy matches that end Tuesday. But Vengsarkar has fixed his own Mumbai selection committee meeting Wednesday. The board then suggested that since there could be only one or two changes in the squad for the Bangalore Test, the selectors could do it though teleconferencing and meet in Bangalore during the Test to name the squad for Australia .

>>>>Good for BCCI to not change their stand just for one person. Although it would have been much better had the players who are going to be the selectors would have known these things (guidelines) before they were appointed Apparently there is such a guideline but Vengsarkar probably thinks he is too big to follow them.... >>>>That explains the haste with which Shukla decided to call the press and make the half-baked announcement. What he did not say is that the board has decided not to cajole Vengsarkar to even reconsider his decision, though it was said for public consumption that he had been asked to keep national interest in mind and select the squad for Australia before sorting out other issues. I think they didn't want to give him a chance to back down...

>>>>Dooks - Well I am glad he managed to get rid of Dravid the captain because we will get our wall back (my favourite player btw). Dravid was a very good test captain.
This was no way to get rid of his captaincy. If he was not convinced by his captaincy, he could have sacked him--I wouldn't mind that. But treating a legend player of the country like that? He simply had no rights whatsoever to question his captaincy in public because he was a selector not a media reporter! Secondly, I can't remember any C-O-S sitting in the dressing room of players during an entire tour and also interfereing in the team matters, selection of XI etc, that too when the captain is already under such huge pressure because of the lack of a head coach!! Thirdly, More was selector for 4 years------how many times did he question the captaincy of Dravid and Ganguly and how many times did he criticise the selection of final XI or interfered in the team matters?